Core charge for drive battery replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csites

Nissan recently agreed to cover up to $6,500 towards a replacement battery for my March 2013 Leaf which had dropped to 63% (LeafSpy) / 8 bars capacity around 75k miles. Of course, I am just thrilled and so impressed with Nissan. My car is like new again.

I did have to pay the local dealer $500, which seemed reasonable, but after reviewing my invoice further, I'm thinking that there was an error on the dealer invoice, Nissan's coverage was more than enough, and it should not have cost me anything at all.

Please let me know what you think of the following:

$6,560 Battery
$1,000 Battery core charge
$ 238 Miscellaneous parts (detailed on invoice)
$ 314 Labor
========
$ 8,112 total
$-6,500 covered by Nissan
$1,612 original bill (not paid) presented by dealer
$500 second bill (paid) presented by dealer after I reminded them of their ~$500 quote by phone when I made the service appointment

I have to give credit to the dealer for keeping their word about my cost being just $500, but I question the core charge. I believe the core charge should have been a negative number. Aren't core charges supposed to be credits due to returning the original part? (The dealer did keep my original battery)

In that case, I believe my bill should have been as follows:

$6,560 Battery
$-1,000 Battery core charge
$ 314 Labor
========
$ 6,112 total
$0 My bill since Nissan's $6,500 coverage exceeded the local dealer's charges.

Should I go back to the local dealer and ask for my $500 back? Does anyone else have an invoice they can share?

Core charges are made when no part is turned in as the replacement is bought. In your case, assuming they didn't give you your traction battery back, they should have charged nothing for the core - you gave them the old battery pack as the core.

From the topic Cwerdna linked:

Q. What happens to my old battery? Can I keep it?
A. No. The old battery must be exchanged for the new battery as a condition of the sale of the replacement battery, and Nissan’s suggested retail battery pricing reflects a $1,000 core value assigned to the battery. Nissan will ensure that the old battery is recycled and disposed of properly or possibly reused as part of our 4R Energy business.

Per the article linked by cwerdna, "The suggested retail price of the Nissan LEAF battery pack is $5,499. This price includes and requires a return of your original battery pack (valued at $1,000) to the dealer in exchange for the new battery."

So in 2014, the battery portion of the invoice might have read something like:

$6,499 battery
-$1,000 core charge
======
$5,499

Has the price changed since 2014? How should above read in 2017?

The battery portion of my invoice from the dealer indicates:

$6,560 battery
+$1,000 core charge
======
$7,560

Thanks.

Update: I went back to the dealer today. They agreed there was a mistake, but only that the $1,000 core charge shouldn't have been there. They did not agree that the $1,000 core charge should have been a credit instead (They did keep the old battery). So no change to my bill, since they had already reduced it.

In other words, the bill should have been:
$6,560 Battery
$ 314 Labor
========
$ 7,112 subtotal
$612 total

Still, I'm thrilled to have paid just $500 for a new battery. It's like I have a new car now.

...except that the 12v battery dies every 9 months and the wheel bearings keep needing replacement, but that's another thread. :)

csites said:
Nissan recently agreed to cover up to $6,500 towards a replacement battery for my March 2013 Leaf which had dropped to 63% (LeafSpy) / 8 bars capacity around 75k miles. Of course, I am just thrilled and so impressed with Nissan. My car is like new again.

I did have to pay the local dealer $500, which seemed reasonable, but after reviewing my invoice further, I'm thinking that there was an error on the dealer invoice, Nissan's coverage was more than enough, and it should not have cost me anything at all.

Please let me know what you think of the following:

$6,560 Battery
$1,000 Battery core charge
$ 314 Labor
========
$ 8,112 total
$1,612 original bill (not paid) presented by dealer
$500 second bill (paid) presented by dealer after I reminded them of their ~$500 quote by phone when I made the service appointment

I have to give credit to the dealer for keeping their word about my cost being just $500, but I question the core charge. I believe the core charge should have been a negative number. Aren't core charges supposed to be credits due to returning the original part? (The dealer did keep my original battery)

In that case, I believe my bill should have been as follows:

$6,560 Battery
$-1,000 Battery core charge
$ 314 Labor
========
$ 6,112 total
$0 My bill since Nissan's $6,500 coverage exceeded the local dealer's charges.

Should I go back to the local dealer and ask for my $500 back? Does anyone else have an invoice they can share?

csites said:
Has the price changed since 2014? How should above read in 2017?

The battery portion of my invoice from the dealer indicates:

$6,560 battery
+$1,000 core charge
======
$7,560
I doubt the price has changed. But please understand that Nissan does NOT control what dealerships charge for parts. They only make a suggestion. The dealer can charge any price they want.

Back