Brake Fluid Changes & Maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erco

Honestly? Required maintenance? Never heard of that. Annually? That's really unlikely. What's the rationale? Is Nissan just creating new maintenace requirements to make some money? With regen braking, isn't there LESS brake system wear and tear than an ICE car?

Annual cabin air filter replacement too?

One Leaf whiz told me to expect to pay something like $248 every year for a battery check, brake flush and filter replacement. That's actually not bad. I called my local Nissan dealer to inquire and he said just to come in for a $39 battery check only. I'm sure he'll suggest more when I'm there. AFAIK, the annual battery check is required to keep the battery warranty in place? And what exactly is the battery warranty on my 2014 S? I searched here and saw complaints about the 2013 warranty, but I think the 2014 has the better lizard battery?

erco said:
...isn't there LESS brake system wear and tear than an ICE car?
Fluid replacement is driven by accumulation of water in the fluid, as opposed to "wear and tear" from actuation. That being said, most people think yearly flush is excessive unless you're in an extremely hostile environment (exceptionally high humidity). There are ways to test, covered in other brake fluid threads.

Annual cabin air filter replacement too?
Probably not needed unless you're in very dusty conditions. I replaced mine at 2 years and it still had life in it. This is easy DIY if you've got even a modest mechanical aptitude. You can find practical instructions here or on Youtube videos.

...AFAIK, the annual battery check is required to keep the battery warranty in place?
Yes. I think you have 3-month grace period on the date.

...I think the 2014 has the better lizard battery?
yes

Back