CHEAP TIRES INSTALLED!!!!!!HERE ARE THE RESULTS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

After looking at my ecopia bold tires for a while now and the winter coming I had to replace the tires, after looking at forums around I decided to just install cheap tires on my leaf, as I don't plan to keep it for too long anyway, I order these online Rydanz REAC R05 Tire P205/55R16 91V from walmart website, the price 51.30 + Tax a total of $222.84, plus installation, of $42 + tax, the total $264.84 + $22.77 Tax=$287.61 in total, after a few days I decided to make a test, in the bold ecopia (at 46 Psi)(78 F No Wind) I was able to get 4.7 Miles per Kilowatt, so I tested the car in similar condition and I was able to get 4.5 Miles per Kilowatt( 46 Psi)(56F Little Wind) so no such a big penalty as I thought I was gonna get overall tires are much silent than the ecopias and I hope they will last at least 50K Miles if I keep the car long enough.

If those are Chinese brand tires, the savings isn't worth the risk of failure. I got American made Eagle L/S tires, brand new, for $275 shipped from an Ebay tire dealer. They have been fine.

DanCar said:
I hate flats and like steel belted radials. What do you think? Seems steel belted radials have dropped in popularity?
blink.gif.956b2c95453557b24a0cb9396685ca14.gif

Where have you found a non-steel belted radial for sale?

garsh said:
DanCar said:
I hate flats and like steel belted radials. What do you think? Seems steel belted radials have dropped in popularity?

My understanding if it doesn't say steel belted radial then it is not. Do you know differently? Some are kevlar which is considered better than steel. Others are polyester.

DanCar said:
garsh said:
DanCar said:

My understanding if it doesn't say steel belted radial then it is not. Do you know differently? Some are kevlar which is considered better than steel. Others are polyester.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=9

From: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=9&AID=10398365&PID=7694398
The branding on the sidewall of a tire is required to list the materials and number of layers of each material used to reinforce the rubber.
Deoc, Can you take a picture of this from your tires? Thanks.

DanCar said:
Do you have an example of a kevlar or polyester belted radial?

My understanding was that all modern tires were steel-belted. Some tires meant for antique cars are bias-ply. But I hadn't heard of anything other than steel being used for radial tires.

I'm not sure many modern car tires are steel belted anymore.

Steel belted had issues with belt shift among other things causing accelerated tire aging,

I think steel belted is more often found on truck, trailer and specialty tires.

All my passenger tires the last 10 years don't include them.

Ah well

I don't have the car with me right now but as soon as I can I will, these tires are actually from europe, as the tire says that, is a european company, now this is not the cheapest tire I found there is plenty of them just the difference is this one has the "P"205 instead of other tires just have the 205, now about the quality is my believe that tires have to meet quality standards in order to be sold in the US, about the radial vs plastic, all tires that are P205/65R16 where the "R" after 65 is my believe that means Radial Tire, so I will see how these tires runs in the next few years, and I will take a picture as soon as I can.

By the way the ecopia the car originally came with are by my opinion the lowest quality tires I have ever seen.

now about the quality is my believe that tires have to meet quality standards in order to be sold in the US,

Since we're apparently having trouble with Chinese tires coming apart on the highway, and since those awful OEM Ecopias were indeed sold in the US, I don't think that US standards are preventing low quality tires from being imported. The issue is with Chinese brand tires, not with international branded tires made in China. I hope that your tires were made in Europe.

Back