premier extended warranty 10 year/ 120,000 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiely

Purchased a new 2017 NIssan Leaf S (Aug 2017) and the 10 years/ 120,000 miles "premier " warranty offered by the dealership at a cost of the warranty was $2784. I have 60 days to cancel the contract for a full refund and am seriously considering it. would appreciate any feedback on the best course of action, i.e., cancel or keep.

thanks tom

I don't know anything about it. Have pointers to the terms (e.g. what's covered, for how long, deductibles, who provides coverage, etc.)?

Some folks have found cheaper Nissan Security+ agreements via Nissan of Santa Rosa: http://nissansrextendedservicecontracts.com/leaf-coverage/. That page doesn't list anything that's 10 years.

http://nissansrextendedservicecontracts.com/images/companies/1/Security+Plus%20Component%20Coverage%20Guide.pdf doesn't use the term "premier".

Is this an official Nissan service contract or one of the dealer's own?

You may be better of canceling. You can still get a reasonably priced extended warranty via the above as long as you're within the 3 years/36K basic warranty.

Stated another way: I wouldn't buy any warranty for the Leaf that isn't expressly offered/supported by Nissan (at any Nissan dealership). There are still too many "custom" EV issues that only Nissan can handle (not that they happen that often).
FWIW, I had my dealer match the Nissan Security+ quote from the Santa Rosa link when I purchased my Leaf...and I did use it once.

As much as I drive, I'd run it down within 6 years.
If you live in a very warm or hot climate, specifically ask how much warranty is there on the battery
(ask how many capacity bars you have to lose to get the battery replaced for a new one, not refurbished).
If there is no warranty on battery capacity (warranty on failure is useless) and there is no warranty on
wear and tear suspension parts (shocks, bushings) then I would cancel premier warranty (not premier, haha).
2700$ is too much. It's like a fifth of the vehicle price after normal warranty ends.

arnis said:
If you live in a very warm or hot climate, specifically ask how much warranty is there on the battery
(ask how many capacity bars you have to lose to get the battery replaced for a new one, not refurbished).
If there is no warranty on battery capacity (warranty on failure is useless) and there is no warranty on
wear and tear suspension parts (shocks, bushings) then I would cancel premier warranty (not premier, haha).
And get this in writing.

I have one of those warranties on one of my cars and it was from Santa Rosa. It doesn't cover the traction battery. I haven't found the need to use it for anything else yet.

Back