30 kwh Degradation Poll

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

Ok, tried to glean this from several sources but got lazy so....

What I want you to do is copy and paste into your response. This is a poll of when you lost bars and what your battery stats were if known.

• Location; (I know this will seem redundant if its in your profile but will be collecting info from several different sources)

Delivery Date;

Build Date (on inside driver door jamb);

Level 1-2 charges;

Level 3 charges;

Estimated # of times to 10 temperature bars (the bars on left);

Estimated times in the red (11 or 12 temperature bars) ;

Estimated times charging speed reduced due to heat;

If you have not lost a bar, estimated level of degradation currently including miles driven and months owned;

Time (in months) for first bar loss;

Miles on first bar loss;

(repeat below for month and time for each additional bar loss)

Ok so there you have it. I will start (so you can see an example.

Location; (I know this will seem redundant if its in your profile but will be collecting info from several different sources)
Olympia WA
Delivery Date;
11/11/16
Build Date (on inside driver door jamb);
10/2016
Level 1-2 charges;
Level 3 charges;

Estimated # of times to 10 temperature bars (the bars on left);
30ish....

Estimated times in the red (11 or 12 temperature bars) ;

Estimated times charging speed reduced due to heat;
once (yesterday!)

If you have not lost a bar, estimated level of degradation currently including miles driven and months owned;
0% degradation, 22,003 miles 10 months, 2 days.

Time (in months) for first bar loss;
NA

Miles on first bar loss;
NA

Dave:

Not to be negative, but what are you trying to document here, and why? Without any empirical backup, the data that you glean will be just hearsay.

uc

I don't understand why 30 kw batteries should be showing documentable deterioration. The are only a year olde???

I feel that the real reason for degradation is more related to 1) Amount of time that the battery has been kept at 100% or below 30%. Also, the important factor is how many times (cycles) has the car been charged from a low charge level <=25%?? I have heard that if you do not allow the battery to go too much below 50% before charging, the battery will not degrade....

OrientExpress said:
Dave:

Not to be negative, but what are you trying to document here, and why? Without any empirical backup, the data that you glean will be just hearsay.

hearsay better than nosay. If I spent enough time sifting thru thousands of comments over a dozen threads, I could get most of the info myself but as mentioned on the OP, too lazy.

I would be fascinated to hear the results.
The 2.0's 150-mile range comfortably meets my current needs (90 miles through mountains including Winter), but doesn't have much room for deterioration. The rose-colored glasses folks state Nissan has improved the chemistry in the battery to prevent early deterioration. The car I drove to work today is a Mitsubishi Lancer which has 170,000 miles. I purchased it for $4000 with 120,000 miles - I have put on 50,000) My 2011 Leaf cost $30000 and by the time it got to 50,000 miles would barely make it across town and back. My current plan is to either very closely read the warranty on a Leaf 1.75 to be confident Nissan guarantees I can make my drive for at least 120,000 miles, purchase a Bolt-EV when Adaptive Cruise Control becomes available on the LT, or keep driving the Mitsubishi until I can purchase a lease return Leaf with evidence of no battery deterioration over the 3 years.
If the 30 kWh battery survey shows most people are getting well over 50,000 miles with the battery showing no deterioration, I might be more willing to throw the dice.

Orient Express asked: But other than trying to beat a dead horse or grow troll food, what are you trying to accomplish?

This response suggests he is convinced the results will show his excellent outcome is an outlier. If everyone gets to 46000 with no drop in range, I will be willing to purchase a Leaf next year. The result could well refute the trolls. (I agree that the result is more likely to be troll food.)

Collect information. This is currently my only goal here. Unlike Big Oil, I have no targeted biases here. I am not searching for specific responses.

2011RedLeaf said:
I would be fascinated to hear the results.

If the 30 kWh battery survey shows most people are getting well over 50,000 miles with the battery showing no deterioration, I might be more willing to throw the dice.
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23606

Built in 4 month of 2016
No idea how many level 2's. Maybe 100 max Never below 30 percent.
Routinely charge to about 90 percent. Couple times a month to 100 percent.
Probably 25 level 3 's
Haven't noticed any battery depreciation. Still get 170 to 200 km depending on where we are driving.
Have seen eight temperature bars once. Seven bars a couple dozen times. 6 bars fairly routinely. 5 bars most mornings.
Still have 12 bars capacity.

On edit. Around 8000 KM on the odometer I think. Have to check but it will be close.

powersurge said:
I don't understand why 30 kw batteries should be showing documentable deterioration. The are only a year olde???
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

As for "understand", well, from http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23606 and numerous reports (some included in there) from various Leaf Facebook groups I'm on, we already have a bunch of 1 to 3 capacity bar losers on the 2016 30 kWh Leafs and even supposedly a 4 bar loser (http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=502282#p502282).

Some are approaching 2 years old (from build month).

Back