Is the $17,500 deal negotiable?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jparr

Hi all..I'm considering buying a 2017 Nissan Leaf S with the 6.6kw charger package. (first time poster)

The local dealer is advertising online a sales price of a new 2017 Leaf S (+ 6.6kW..MSRP $34,345) for a final price of $10,467 + taxes/title. This price has the dealer fees included and reflects the following discounts.
- $10,000 xcel utility "rebate"
- $7,500 Federal tax credit
- $5,000 instant Colorado tax credit
- $ 1,400 in dealer discounts

My question for the group is...
1. Has anyone found these prices negotiable? With the new 18' MSRP coming I'm wondering if there is now even more pressure on the dealers to unload this Leaf's. Since Colorado provides an instant credit of $5k, I would figure the dealer might have more room in Colorado to discount further.

2. I've always been interested with electric car and would be looking at this as our family's secondary car for around town. The car we're considering replacing is an older high millage car that we now put on maybe 5k miles a year using only in the Denver metro area (I work from home). The Elantra has been super dependable but I'm wondering if anyone else has has been in a similar situation (older car but more limited use). Even with the great "deal" we would be required to do the Nissan financing which is about a $300/month payment (the car is financed at about $18,000). It's hard to go from a car with $0 payment to $300 especially if it's more of a secondary car but I'm looking at a financial way to persuade my wife.

3. Any thoughts to future Leaf resale values? There are a lot of used 15' and 16' Leaf's selling for around $10. One thought I've had is if I buy a new Leaf now for about $10k I could potentially sell it in a few years for a limited loss. Then again the 18' Leaf may make all the older Leaf's less valuable.

4. Is there anything that people feel they really like about SV model over the S? The dealer is also offering a similar deal for the SV for a few thousand more but from everything I've read on this forum it seems people think the key missing feature that the SV had over the S is the higher capacity charger. Since I can get the 6.6kW charger on this S model I'm trying to think of a compelling reason to go to the SV.

Thanks in advance for comments...

In Colorado you would be better off with the SV if you plan any longer trips, because it has the heatpump. That advantage is negated in sub-20F weather, though. If the car will only be used around town, and you don't have a need to pre-heat it at will remotely, the S should be fine.

You also have to owe $7500 at your next tax filing to take advantage of the Federal Tax Credit when you buy. It is not a refundable credit, like some others, and the dealer does not take it off at the time of purchase, unless you are leasing the car.

If you think you can expect to get even more discounts than what you are already offered, then you are not only unrealistic, but very greedy.

You should be thanking your lucky stars that you live in an area where they are giving these cars away. If I had that deal available, I would buy a car for every member of my family...

Wake up an smell the coffee...

Leftie biker thanks for the heads up on the heat pump.....

Unfortunately car are just like any other commodities that change in value over time depending on the market...I can't change that....Depending on the person's perspective (seller/buyer) that's either greedy or thrifty. If someone is uncomfortable sharing this over the forum and being labeled "greedy" please private message me details. Thanks.

On another note, maybe I need to go start trolling the Tesla forum and tell all the Norwegians that they are greedy for getting Tesla incentives. http://insideevs.com/tax-exemptions-in-norway-cut-tesla-model-s-price-in-half/ Now that's a deal

I have still found the best way to negotiate is good old cash, like they say "Cash talks B.S. walks" and make it clear you offer is out the door cash, no ad ons.

jparr said:
On another note, maybe I need to go start trolling the Tesla forum and tell all the Norwegians that they are greedy for getting Tesla incentives. http://insideevs.com/tax-exemptions-in-norway-cut-tesla-model-s-price-in-half/ Now that's a deal
Norway actually has it right. ICE vehicles are charged a huge VAT tax. EVs don't have to pay that tax.

jparr said:
Hi all..I'm considering buying a 2017 Nissan Leaf S with the 6.6kw charger package. (first time poster)

The local dealer is advertising online a sales price of a new 2017 Leaf S (+ 6.6kW..MSRP $34,345) for a final price of $10,467 + taxes/title. This price has the dealer fees included and reflects the following discounts.
- $10,000 xcel utility "rebate"
- $7,500 Federal tax credit
- $5,000 instant Colorado tax credit
- $ 1,400 in dealer discounts

My question for the group is...
1. Has anyone found these prices negotiable? With the new 18' MSRP coming I'm wondering if there is now even more pressure on the dealers to unload this Leaf's. Since Colorado provides an instant credit of $5k, I would figure the dealer might have more room in Colorado to discount further.

2. I've always been interested with electric car and would be looking at this as our family's secondary car for around town. The car we're considering replacing is an older high millage car that we now put on maybe 5k miles a year using only in the Denver metro area (I work from home). The Elantra has been super dependable but I'm wondering if anyone else has has been in a similar situation (older car but more limited use). Even with the great "deal" we would be required to do the Nissan financing which is about a $300/month payment (the car is financed at about $18,000). It's hard to go from a car with $0 payment to $300 especially if it's more of a secondary car but I'm looking at a financial way to persuade my wife.

3. Any thoughts to future Leaf resale values? There are a lot of used 15' and 16' Leaf's selling for around $10. One thought I've had is if I buy a new Leaf now for about $10k I could potentially sell it in a few years for a limited loss. Then again the 18' Leaf may make all the older Leaf's less valuable.

4. Is there anything that people feel they really like about SV model over the S? The dealer is also offering a similar deal for the SV for a few thousand more but from everything I've read on this forum it seems people think the key missing feature that the SV had over the S is the higher capacity charger. Since I can get the 6.6kW charger on this S model I'm trying to think of a compelling reason to go to the SV.

Thanks in advance for comments...

I think this is a great deal! Except, the $34k MSRP for an S trim doesn't quite smell right. I "built" a 2017 S w/ charge package and got an MSRP of $33,335: https://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/packages/index

You'll probably want to do the same, but with your zip code.

So maybe there's room still to negotiate it down?

MSRP is totally negotiable, especially as dealers strive to work down 2017 inventory. Doubling the dealer discount to $2,800 is not out of bounds.

Call me greedy - I got the rebates and negotitated a hefty discount from MSRP on my 2017 S - it depends on how motivated the dealer is to get rid of these boat anchors. Sell the Elantra and throw that into the pot - all told you could get the Leaf for something between $5 - 10,000 net.

On the loan, make sure you get a competitive rate and show that to the dealer - they should at least match the rate. If not, make sure the loan has no early termination fee and you can pay off the loan and replace it with a better one.

Also as a local car, IMHO the S is a better fit.

Mother of all that is holy, you are about to buy a BRAND NEW 2017 Leaf for $10k and aren't already signing the papers?

Forget resale, on these cars it's crap, but $10k for a brand new car that will consume less in energy costs than a prius (plus drives much better)? I am flabbergasted that the deal you state is even available. Any of the problems with a Leaf (and range is of course the main one) are utterly inconsequential if you're able to get a new one for $10-11k.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
jparr said:

I think this is a great deal! Except, the $34k MSRP for an S trim doesn't quite smell right. I "built" a 2017 S w/ charge package and got an MSRP of $33,335: https://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/packages/index

You'll probably want to do the same, but with your zip code.

So maybe there's room still to negotiate it down?

I noticed the same thing on the MSRP and when you consider the 2018 Leaf S's coming out with an MSRP of $29,990. No one would expect a higher MSRP for a older model car with fewer features. Thus the dealer is making the discount appear higher than it actually is. It's really a discount of $7k-$9k Again a good discount, over what would have been paid a few years ago, but a little disingenuous and hence why it seems that there should be further room for negotiation.

joeriv said:
S is also 30 Kw battery.
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not “Kw”.

All ’17 trim levels have 30 kWh battery.

For ’16, SV and SL had 30 kWh batteries but S only had 24 kWh until the '16 “S 30” was quietly introduced (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106593_nissan-leaf-s-quietly-gets-30-kwh-battery-upgrade-higher-price).

cwerdna said:
joeriv said:
S is also 30 Kw battery.
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not “Kw”.

All ’17 trim levels have 30 kWh battery.

For ’16, SV and SL had 30 kWh batteries but S only had 24 kWh until the '16 “S 30” was quietly introduced (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106593_nissan-leaf-s-quietly-gets-30-kwh-battery-upgrade-higher-price).
Yeah, much to quietly. ;)

Everything is negotiable. I was pursuing a similar deal on a new 2016 model that a dealer still had in stock several months ago. I was trying to get them to tack on some dealer discounts on top of the local utility rebate (same as the xcel rebate). I told them I would buy the car immediately if they could. They kept saying they could do so, but would then transfer me to financial people who had no idea what I was talking about. I needed a car, so I ended up buying a used one.

I would go test drive it and show a lot of interest, but say you think you might wait for the 2018. Then walk out the door and wait for them to call you. If that happens you could probably get another $500 or so off. (Ask for $1000, and they'll probably give you $500). If they don't call you back, then that was their rock bottom price. Go back the next day and buy it. It's a good deal if the car is right for you!! I would buy it in a heart beat.

Hi jparr,

I just bought my $10k 2017 Leaf model S and I love it. It had the 6.6kW charger upgrade but was an S in just about every other way. I did have to finance the vehicle to get the $5k state rebate taken off the price but I'm planning to just pay it off in 2 months. I don't know how much I'll pay in interest or insurance before then but I don't think it will be significant. I made sure there was no pre-payment penalty on the loan so you might want to check that. Re-sale values are all over the map but most of the ones in the Denver CL are at or above $10k at this time. I assume they will drop once the new models come out but I'm planning to drive mine for a while so re-sale value isn't a big deal for me.

I just got the car in August so I don't know how the cold will affect the range but I do of course still have an ICE car or 2 that I can use when needed.

And yes, everything is negotiable. I have never bought a new car before so the whole dealer thing was new to me but it all just depends on how bad they want to sell their inventory. I've heard rumors that dealers from out of state are sending their Leaf's to CO since they are selling like crazy here, but I have no idea if that is true or not. In any case, I wouldn't wait until the last minute or try to squeeze out the last $100 from the deal. Between Xcel, state of CO and Uncle Sam (assuming you pay > $7500 taxes, which isn't hard) you are getting a new car for 1/3 the list price. And it's not a junker - I really love mine :D

Would 2x the range and TMS be nice? Yes of course but I doubt you'll get one of those for $10k. As is, my model S does everything I hoped it would do: get me to work, get me around town, etc. and it's lots of fun to drive. I have free charging at work although the cost of electricity is very low compared to gas.

Get the car, you won't regret it.

FYI, I purchased a leaf on a similar deal in February 2017. Here were my numbers on a 2017 Leaf S with 6.6kW charger option:

MSRP 33505
Dealer Discount - 8150
NMAC Financing discount -4000
Dealer Handling 597.50
Government Fee 27.20
Federal Credit -7500
Colorado Tax Credit -5000
-------------------------------------------------------------
Net 9479.70 (Plus tax)

Back