Finally 2018 nisan leaf 150mi range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aluminumwelder

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/9/5/16254460/nissan-leaf-2018-electric-official-range-features-specs

Longer range version comes next year

After looking at the pictures and reading up on the car, I'm satisfied with the exterior. I was a little worried I'd miss the old style, but I think the new look still reminds me of of the old style while making it look more like a traditional car. Not too crazy about having an analog speedometer, but not a deal breaker. Like the digital dashboard and I really love the steering wheel!

The range is not surprising, and I think it's a good move to have a more affordable EV with decent range. I'm still going to hold out for a 200+ range version since my 2013 LEAF is still treating me well. I'm curious what the other forum members think.

Nice improvements. It's a better looking vehicle. My 2016 model 100+mile range is noticeably better than my 2013 model's 80 mile range. 150 miles will bring the Leaf to more mainstream drivers.

Lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and rear cross traffic alerts are attractive additions. I surely enjoy them on my Volvo. I hope that Nissan improves their support of EV Connect / Carwings or whatever they're going to call it. I am disappointed that virtually none of the apps are available on NissanConnect in my 2016 Leaf. This is something that Nissan could have fixed and for whatever reason, did not.

so 40 kWh battery is availble 1st. But they didn't give a date for the 60 kWh battery.

They didn't say if the warranty was improved or if they added Thermal Control liquid or air or none?

With their E Pedal did they increase the REGEN? Is it adjustable?

How fast can the DC Fast Charging go?

Did the on board charging change from 6 kW?

Will the V2G affect the battery life/ warranty ?

What is the cost of their Pro Pilot?, 60 kWh battery, V2G option and inverter? and many other questions.

Our 24 kWh battery will only do about 65 miles at 65 mph freeway speeds. A 40 kWh battery, which is less than double, will then do how many miles under normal temps at 65 mph? The above poster asks some very good questions that I would like to know the answer.

jstack6 said:
so 40 kWh battery is availble 1st. But they didn't give a date for the 60 kWh battery.

They didn't say if the warranty was improved or if they added Thermal Control liquid or air or none?

With their E Pedal did they increase the REGEN? Is it adjustable?

How fast can the DC Fast Charging go?

Did the on board charging change from 6 kW?

Will the V2G affect the battery life/ warranty ?

What is the cost of their Pro Pilot?, 60 kWh battery, V2G option and inverter? and many other questions.
You pose a lot of good cost questions and they all invite lots of speculation.

My only question is ; Why did Nissan decide to go to sleep and let everyone catch up when they had a seven year plus lead in EVs on the other legacy car makers? I would like to see this 2018 MY car as positive ;but, essentially their Leaf product has stagnated for seven years of no or very little progress.

Also, I'm very disappointed in Nissan's management because all they have succeeded in doing is proving a legacy car maker can't manage building batteries. After being stuck with a 2011 with a poor resell value,

I'm advising people to learn from my mistake and lease, don't buy. if you are considering a Nissan Leaf.

BTW, OP, are there reasons why you keep starting new 2018 Leaf threads? You've started a bunch.

Per http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2499 and the practices (and posts from) of some of the mods over the years, it's sometimes frowned upon if there are already existing threads. I'm surprised many of your 2018 threads haven't been merged into larger ones (yet).

LOL, because I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no one digs up old posts from a few weeks ago., give me a break, 3 or 4 posts is not a lot.

There is a lot of the old leaf issues in the new.
Both A and C pillar blind spots are unchanged
while the new flat bottom steering wheel and almost flat no hump dash will greatly help shorter drivers, still wish they would do like Tesla did in model 3 and move dash cluster to center rather than behind steering wheel.
Would like to have seen the roofline from windshield to C pillar lowered for less SUV height and look and to make washing the roof easier.
Unless the base battery can be upgraded I would bet the majority of orders will be for the 200 mile package.
Personally, my 2014 is looking much better, a solid car, no issues, had Nissan had addressed and corrected the above issues I would say yes, but its still much the same with a more robust power train which I simply don' t need.

groingo said:
while the new flat bottom steering wheel and almost flat no hump dash will greatly help shorter drivers, still wish they would do like Tesla did in model 3 and move dash cluster to center rather than behind steering wheel.

Considering this is the single most controversial aspect of Model 3 ... no.

Unless the base battery can be upgraded I would bet the majority of orders will be for the 200 mile package.
Since most Leaf owners will be cost conscious, this won't be the case.

If price was the only reason to buy an electric then the current Leaf will be the one to have for most, but like the majority of Tesla 3 reservation holders are opting them out where the average purchase price is $42,000 according to Tesla.

Well... At 65 MPH a 24 kWh pack goes roughly 65 miles and less if it is cold outside. So... a battery pack that is 8 kWh short of double, will be expected to get how many miles at 65 MPH? Based on the number it looks like 110ish freeway miles at 65 MPH.

groingo said:
...while the new flat bottom steering wheel and almost flat no hump dash will greatly help shorter drivers...

I'm not sure I'll be "greatly helped" by grabbing air instead of wheel when that flat spot comes whizzing over the top. Let's chalk this one up as controversial. At least it's only mildly misshapen. :roll: :lol:

My only question is ; Why did Nissan decide to go to sleep and let everyone catch up when they had a seven year plus lead in EVs on the other legacy car makers? I would like to see this 2018 MY car as positive ;but, essentially their Leaf product has stagnated for seven years of no or very little progress.

Also, I'm very disappointed in Nissan's management because all they have succeeded in doing is proving a legacy car maker can't manage building batteries. After being stuck with a 2011 with a poor resell value,

I'm advising people to learn from my mistake and lease, don't buy. if you are considering a Nissan Leaf.

I have to agree with fotojoye. Nissan really dropped the ball a couple of years ago - they must have seen the Bolt coming, and the Model 3 has been bragging for years now it seems. And now the best Nissan can come up with is "up to" 150 miles? And not till early 2018? Chevy and Tesla can provide 60+ kwh batteries, why can't Nissan? It's shameful. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=27&t=24501

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bolt hit 300 miles by the end of 2018, and leave the Leaf in the dust. Too bad - what a huge, wasted opportunity. I love my 2012 Leaf, but with only 30K miles on it, it's already lost a bar and it's getting more and more iffy just how far we can go since we drive in awful traffic and in hills (L.A.). I want to buy a new Leaf, but not for the money they'll charge for an underpowered, middling miles car, when there are at least two cars that will beat it for the next couple of years at least. I like the Bolt but don't really trust it - it's GM, for one thing, and reliability has never been their strong point, while we haven't had a bit of trouble with our Leaf. So we'll probably keep it, and its declining mileage, until Nissan gets its act together - and a 150-mile electric car in 2018 isn't a good sign at all. By the end of 2018, GM and Tesla, and probably Ford and VW and BMW, may have pretty well stolen the market Nissan developed. All I can think is that Nissan's engineers aren't the brightest around, or more likely, they've been stifled by egregiously bad management and had to watch as their trail-blazing is co-opted by what were once also-rans.

fotajoye said:
My only question is ; Why did Nissan decide to go to sleep and let everyone catch up when they had a seven year plus lead in EVs on the other legacy car makers?

GM has leap-frogged the Leaf in many ways (but certainly not all). Please tell me what other legacy (i.e. not Tesla) car maker had "caught up" to Nissan? They are all working with 33-36kWh batteries, and only available in limited markets. Their sales numbers are a joke.

Nissan is looking to win the race for sales, not stats.

GetOffYourGas said:
fotajoye said:
My only question is ; Why did Nissan decide to go to sleep and let everyone catch up when they had a seven year plus lead in EVs on the other legacy car makers?

GM has leap-frogged the Leaf in many ways (but certainly not all). Please tell me what other legacy (i.e. not Tesla) car maker had "caught up" to Nissan? They are all working with 33-36kWh batteries, and only available in limited markets. Their sales numbers are a joke.

Nissan is looking to win the race for sales, not stats.

I drive a 2011 Leaf, #669, and enjoy the car, hate the battery range...now that I'm down a bar, I have to nurse it way too much. When I bought the car, I had hopes Nissan would develop their batteries and improve the range...never happened...and that's disappointing...in fact, they jumped out of the battery business and now will buy their batteries from LG Chem.

I'm don't care what the others makers do. I care what Nissan does because I own one. I would like to keep the car; but, Nissan offers no answer to improved range for the older models except; buy our incrementally range updated 2018; that's sad because the Leaf chassis' has thousands of miles and at least a decade left of life. Because the Leaf resale value is so low, some selling for$6,000, and a replacement battery is so high, about $7,000, It's now slowly becoming scrap as the battery ages. Perhaps that's Nissan's plan, who knows?

That's all well and good, but you specifically said that Nissan has "let everyone catch up". I don't see that. Rather, I see a disgruntled owner who is frustrated that Nissan hasn't done more. Nissan has improved their batteries from 2011/2012. Quite a bit. The 2018 Leaf just represents the next step in that evolution.

Frankly, I understand both sides of this. As a consumer, I want a longer range car with a more durable battery that can QC at 100+kW. And I want it all for an affordable price.

On Nissan's side, they want their EV business to be a Going Concern. That means that above all it must be profitable. Too many changes too quickly, and there is never any time to recoup the significant investment they have made in the industry.

GetOffYourGas said:
That's all well and good, but you specifically said that Nissan has "let everyone catch up". I don't see that. Rather, I see a disgruntled owner who is frustrated that Nissan hasn't done more. Nissan has improved their batteries from 2011/2012. Quite a bit. The 2018 Leaf just represents the next step in that evolution.

Frankly, I understand both sides of this. As a consumer, I want a longer range car with a more durable battery that can QC at 100+kW. And I want it all for an affordable price.

On Nissan's side, they want their EV business to be a Going Concern. That means that above all it must be profitable. Too many changes too quickly, and there is never any time to recoup the significant investment they have made in the industry.

Disagree, not disgruntled at all; like the car fine; the engineers did a good job; I'm disappointed in Nissan's management not making better progress in EV range improvements over a long seven-eight year period. I choose to blame it on making decisions and policies based on an obsolete ICE business model and playing it safe to keep the stock holders satisfied and thus their current management employed. I still recommend a lease for those considering a Leaf until Nissan gets their act together. Hopefully, that will occur soon and they make it through the EV transition.

Back