Currenty leafspy pro readings...wondering about battery warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve123321

Hi All,
Been digging thru the forums for the answer and figured i would post instead:
2013 Leaf SL. Purchased used 2 years ago for $9500. Was a Florida car, now the car resides in NJ.
34k miles. no accidents.
Battery warranty good until April 2018.
Car has been good with one exception, 12v battery was defective and was replaced by Nissan for free.
Range is reducing a bit :/

I lost another bar(currently at 9 bars) and brought it over to the local Nissan dealer. I was told by the leaf tech that battery loss is normal and if i continue to lose bars, it would not be warrantied. He said all values on the car were perfect and "thats the way the car is". Service rep was clueless.

That didn't sound right, so i called Nissan Leaf Support line(very helpful person) and was told a completely different story. Was told if i hit 8 bars(before April 2018), to immediately take it for warranty to a Nissan dealer. They told me if that dealer does not warranty it, take it to another dealer.

I purchased Leafspy pro today and tested it out. My readings are as follows:
9 Bars.
AHr: 42.90
SOH: 65%
372.21V
Hx: 59.01%
odo: 34,409
QC: 13
L1/L2: 1163
SOC: 42.1%

Does anyone have an idea when you think i'll lose my next bar and be able to warranty this?
Thanks!

Your car was almost certainly built before April of 2013, and has the older/original battery chemistry. As long as the car was never totaled and rebuilt with a salvage title, you should be able to get a new pack if you lose that last bar before the 5 year60k mile mark. Capacity loss happens mainly in warmer weather, so try to drive the car a lot before Winter, and keep it charged to 100% when not in use.

steve123321 said:
so i called Nissan Leaf Support line(very helpful person) and was told a completely different story. Was told if i hit 8 bars(before April 2018), to immediately take it for warranty to a Nissan dealer. They told me if that dealer does not warranty it, take it to another dealer.
Correct.

What was the build month on the car? It's on the driver's side door sticker.

If you are down to 8 bars before the 5 year/60K mile capacity warranty expires (whichever comes first, warranty began on original service date), you MUST take it to a Nissan dealer service dept to have the condition before before it expires. However, if you can tolerate an 8 bar car, you may want to wait until near expiration to get the ball rolling. That way, you'll put the wear and degradation on a battery that you will no longer have. But, do NOT miss it, otherwise you could have a fight on your hands or be forced to pay for part of the battery (still better than full price).

steve123321 said:
Does anyone have an idea when you think i'll lose my next bar and be able to warranty this?
Thanks!
Soon. You sound right on the cusp already.

I would not try to live with the degraded battery once the 9th battery bar is lost because it you may receive a battery that had sat on a shelf waiting for your call.

you are close no doubt but the lack of quick charging has your numbers a bit scattered. many have gotten replacements at higher ahr... If you are in a hurry, I would go on a 6 QC trip on the hottest day you can manage.

LeftieBiker said:
Your car was almost certainly built before April of 2013, and has the older/original battery chemistry. As long as the car was never totaled and rebuilt with a salvage title, you should be able to get a new pack if you lose that last bar before the 5 year60k mile mark. Capacity loss happens mainly in warmer weather, so try to drive the car a lot before Winter, and keep it charged to 100% when not in use.

Correct. The vehicle was built on 3/13. It has a clear title and no accidents.

DaveinOlyWA said:
you are close no doubt but the lack of quick charging has your numbers a bit scattered. many have gotten replacements at higher ahr... If you are in a hurry, I would go on a 6 QC trip on the hottest day you can manage.

I do live near a quick charger, i'll take advantage of it on my drive home from now on.

Just keep in mind that QC promotes degradation only to the extent that it causes excessive heating in an already-hot pack. A QC done in cooler weather will often actually improve the LeafSpy stats.

LeftieBiker said:
Just keep in mind that QC promotes degradation only to the extent that it causes excessive heating in an already-hot pack. A QC done in cooler weather will often actually improve the LeafSpy stats.

but also gives a more realistic picture of the pack's true state.

steve123321 said:
just an update, my battery was replaced under warranty. Full bars and it shows 92 miles!

ummm, great news? What is your LEAF Spy stats? 92 miles seems low but then again, nothing with the GOM is as it seems :roll:

Back