Flooded Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marktm

Leaf Supporting Member
A local junk yard has 3 - 2012 Leafs that are claimed to have been flooded up to the bottom seat level - likely for some time. Has anyone seen the results of such flooding on the HV system? I'd assume the 12 v system is severely damaged, but what about all the HV equipment including inverter, motor, DC/DC junction box, battery, PTC heater, AC compressor, etc, etc. My guess is that total immersion would eventually get everywhere, including thru the HV battery vent, connectors, seals, whatever.

I asked the junk dealer what he expected to sell from these cars (warned him to be extremely careful when dismantling any parts on these cars!!) and he replied, the body parts only.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has seen the results of the immersion of HV components for an extended time.

The battery is sealed but everything else is total garbage, battery will be likely quite tired unless it shorted out externally then it's dead

The battery is somewhat sealed, but it has pressure/vacuum relief vents near the top. Those vents would probably let water in if submerged long enough. Gear reducer case has a vent valve and shaft seals that would probably let water in if submerged long enough, but oil might minimize corrosion so that flushing/filling would make it useable. Motor has shaft seal that would probably let water in if submerged long enough. DC-DC converter, inverter, charger, and DC junction box might be OK since they are sealed, but water might get in through electrical connectors if submerged long enough.

Wiring harnesses, auxiliary relays, control switches, 12-volt battery, computer modules, etc. would be junk.

GerryAZ said:
The battery is somewhat sealed, but it has pressure/vacuum relief vents near the top. Those vents would probably let water in if submerged long enough. Gear reducer case has a vent valve and shaft seals that would probably let water in if submerged long enough, but oil might minimize corrosion so that flushing/filling would make it usable. Motor has shaft seal that would probably let water in if submerged long enough. DC-DC converter, inverter, charger, and DC junction box might be OK since they are sealed, but water might get in through electrical connectors if submerged long enough.

Wiring harnesses, auxiliary relays, control switches, 12-volt battery, computer modules, etc. would be junk.

Thanks Gerry;
I suspected that the "relief" vent on the battery would likely NOT be designed for hours of submersion in fact would pull water in as it cools. Guess only, but the HV connectors appear to be well designed for water spray and/or momentary submersion, but likely not total submersion for extended periods. Any of these points would appear to allow disastrous water penetration if submerged long enough (it's not a submarine!).

Don't know how to begin to "test" (at a junk yard) for confirmation of damage without removal of the parts and tearing them down (not in 100+ degree temps in Houston). As there are 3 Leafs and not knowing what the actual "flooding" was, I guess taking my Li "starter" battery, and simply trying to "start" the 12 v system (and subsequent HV system - assuming they can find the remote) could be worth a try.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions,
Mark

Mark,

I like your "test" method. If any of them boot up, it likely means they were not sitting in flood waters for extended time. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Years ago, I was part of a team to go through a hydroelectric plant that was flooded due to heavy rains during a construction project and determine what equipment could be salvaged. It only took a few days to get the water pumped out, but I was really surprised at how fast corrosion progressed on terminal blocks, wiring, and circuit boards. Since there was enough warning to get power shutdown, major equipment was reusable and wiring/terminal blocks could be cleaned up. Circuit boards, small auxiliary control relays, etc. were not worth trying to salvage.

Durandal said:
I'm sure they would be OK with you dropping the battery and doing some tests on it prior to purchase.

I don't think the OP is actually considering buying these cars, more asking about what would be damaged in a minor flood situation. That said, I don't know why someone would want to bother with trying to make a salvage Leaf roadworthy when undamaged ones can be had relatively cheaply.

Called back to determine if it's worthwhile to drive the 40 miles and look at the 3 vehicles. The yard rep stated they were all "completely flooded" that the batteries were dead - and that they are not licensed to sell entire vehicles, but would price any parts wanted individually. Might be interesting - mainly out of curiosity - to check them out, but I'm thinking a wrecked/salvaged vehicle will be a more cost effective approach to getting the parts I need - and sell the rest.

Was this a fresh-water flood or seawater?

This is what a seawater-damaged EV would look like:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1336579/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1337782/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1339573/ <--- must see!

Back