showed up at work with 190 miles of range!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricMonkey

A funny thing happened to me this morning. I showed up at work, looked at the dash, and still had 190 miles of range left! Oh, well, I should mention, I just turned in my Leaf and leased a Chevy Bolt. :mrgreen: Sayonara range anxiety! Oh, and I'm certainly not going to miss that feeling I used to get in the pit of my stomach while trying to merge onto the freeway @15mph slower than oncoming traffic. 0->60 in 6.5 seconds! I can actually get the wheels to break friction and chirp when I'm already going 30mph. During my test drive, there was a 20-something test driving a corvette in front of me. The salesmen had us on the same route. He pegged it getting on the freeway, and my guy told me to do the same. We were almost neck and neck up to @60 mph before he broke away from us.

No offense to any of you Leaf enthusiasts, but after 3 years, there are a whole lot of things that I'm just not going to miss about the car. I've moved on. My payment is even $40/mo less. Oh, and my modified Leaf charger works fine on the Bolt, if anyone cares.

There is definitely an issue, but not everyone is affected. I helped to come up with a partial fix for the problem, which is insufficient or defective front padding. Either you got a "good" set, or they don't bother you but you'll be hearing complaints from front passengers.

I got the cloth interior. My understanding is that the leather seating material compresses the padding a bit too much for some people's liking. I just don't like leather for a daily, commuter car, personally. I sat in both. The seats were fine either way, but I preferred the cloth. I'm not a particularly large guy, at 5'10" and 165. I can imagine the width of the seat being an issue for someone much larger than me. I can also imagine someone who is used to a luxury car thinking that the seats are uncomfortable. My GMC Yukon, for instance, has plush, luxurious, leather seats. It's great for road trips, and I like the leather for when I have a wet wetsuit on, coming back from the beach. Other than that, cloth is just a better option.

The seat thing is hit or miss, some have better foam, some people like theirs, others don't. GM may even be addressing the problem quietly by now. Doesn't matter, if you like em thats all that counts.

Glad you like the Bolt. I'm looking forward to being done with 21.5 kWh myself.

Congratulations! I drove one a couple of weeks ago and was favorably impressed. No problem with the seats. One question that has not been answered is where can a Bolt be quick charged away from home? There was no CHAdeMO plug. I understand that Chevy said charging would be available using one and that it would also be available at Tesla Superchargers. That has since been shown to be false. The dealer had no one who knew what I was talking about. I got an offer through email with no information about quick charging. Sent a reply asking again about quick charge. No reply. What is going on and how do you quick charge away from home?

I plan to look at the new Leaf before making a decision. I really like the idea of having a pilot. Maybe a 2018 Bolt will have it by decision time.

boba said:
Congratulations! I drove one a couple of weeks ago and was favorably impressed. No problem with the seats. One question that has not been answered is where can a Bolt be quick charged away from home? There was no CHAdeMO plug. I understand that Chevy said charging would be available using one and that it would also be available at Tesla Superchargers. That has since been shown to be false. The dealer had no one who knew what I was talking about. I got an offer through email with no information about quick charging. Sent a reply asking again about quick charge. No reply. What is going on and how do you quick charge away from home?

I plan to look at the new Leaf before making a decision. I really like the idea of having a pilot. Maybe a 2018 Bolt will have it by decision time.

The Bolt has optional ($750) CCS quick charging capability. Use Plugshare to filter for CCS as opposed to CHAdeMO and you'll see if there is sufficient coverage in your area for your needs.

Bolts equipped with quick charging will have a small orange cap covering two large pins underneath the standard L1/L2 J1772 charging port. It looks like this http://insideevs.com/wp-content/upl...Bolt-EV-LA-autoshow-via-Tom-M-charge-port.jpg

The Bolt has optional ($750) CCS quick charging capability. Use Plugshare to filter for CCS as opposed to CHAdeMO and you'll see if there is sufficient coverage in your area for your needs.

Bolts equipped with quick charging will have a small orange cap covering two large pins underneath the standard L1/L2 J1772 charging port. It looks like this http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-LA-autoshow-via-Tom-M-charge-port.jpg

I got the base model, with the quick charge upgrade option. That's the only upgrade. I don't expect to use it, but it's nice to have. It's actually pretty standard for the models dealerships order to have that upgrade. Everyone seems to want it.

ElectricMonkey said:

Bolts equipped with quick charging will have a small orange cap covering two large pins underneath the standard L1/L2 J1772 charging port. It looks like this http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-LA-autoshow-via-Tom-M-charge-port.jpg

I got the base model, with the quick charge upgrade option. That's the only upgrade. I don't expect to use it, but it's nice to have. It's actually pretty standard for the models dealerships order to have that upgrade. Everyone seems to want it.

I suspect it will be standard equipment for the 2018 model year. The Bolt orphans and loss-leaders are all missing the feature.

Congrats on the Bolt!

I have to admit, when I saw the thread title, I thought to myself "oh boy, here we go - another 'don't believe the GOM thread'". I was pleasantly surprised.

I test drove the Bolt back in April when it appeared in NY. I like it. I don't think I like it enough to buy one new, though. If the 2018 Leaf doesn't wow me enough, I'll be looking for an off-lease Bolt in 2-3 years. The Model 3 is under consideration as well, but I don't have a reservation because, well, I have reservations...

I have never heard anything about CHAdeMO or Tesla Supercharging capabilities planned for the Bolt. As far as I know, they were always planning on using the SAE CCS standard. Around here, all dealer-ordered Bolts have the QC and heated seat options as a bare minimum. Both pretty essential for an EV in a cold climate, IMHO.

is the battery thermal management active or passive? I now have a RAV 4EV and it has active thermal after 4 years its only degraded 9%. Still over 130 miles per charge. My 85+ mile commute in the Leaf just wouldn't cut it even with charging at work and without stopping at a quickcharger.

co2112 said:
is the battery thermal management active or passive? I now have a RAV 4EV and it has active thermal after 4 years its only degraded 9%. Still over 130 miles per charge. My 85+ mile commute in the Leaf just wouldn't cut it even with charging at work and without stopping at a quickcharger.

Active, using the HVAC system.

I took a ride in a Bolt when the first one showed up at work. The seat was narrow but it seemed pretty comfortable. Note that I'm not large at just 5'6".

Congrats on the new ride!

jlv said:
I took a ride in a Bolt when the first one showed up at work. The seat was narrow but it seemed pretty comfortable. Note that I'm not large at just 5'6".

Congrats on the new ride!
I don't know why but it seems like Chevrolet likes to put a poison pill in all their EVs, a deal breaker at least for me. It goes back to the Volt, which on paper would be an ideal car for me, I say on paper because it's WAY to cramped, front rear and back. Then comes the Bolt, again on paper and ideal car for me, this time like last it's too small in every dimension, including the very tight seats :( Really too bad as if either had had enough room, I'd have probably purchased one. If the Bolt has enough room for you, great, I'm envious as I'm envious of your 190 mile range, as for the rest I'm loving my Leaf. Well, I'd actually prefer a bit more rear seat room and especially cargo room but as I mainly sit in the front and can just get by with cargo room, a Leaf it is. If Nissan ever brought the eNV-200 over here and gave it maybe a 100 mile range(more would be better) I'd be all over it! Unfortunately, for now, N.A. EVs seem to be basically only in the sub compact size, unless you want to shell out $60k+ :(

jjeff said:
It goes back to the Volt, which on paper would be an ideal car for me, I say on paper because it's WAY to cramped, front rear and back.
It's funny, because while I didn't mind the fit in the Bolt, the (first gen) Volt was the first car I felt cramped in -- like my head was too close to the roof. Again, I'm a small person, so I was surprised.

Back