How fast have you gone in your leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hackdroot

Due to a sick child, I called out of work today and forgot my leaf was timed to charge to 100% this morning. It stayed at 100% until about 8pm (Doh!). When I went to get dinner, I realized what I had done and decided to bring the battery down to something reasonable to sit overnight at. With family waiting, I figured the quickest way to bleed off charge was to hop on the freeway. The roadway was relatively empty, so I had plenty of space and empty lanes for my speed run and got it up to 85mph pretty quickly. Didn't maintain it at that speed very long, but quickly realized how quiet an EV is at those higher speeds when all you hear is the wind. Needless to say, I didn't stay at that speed very long and settled in to 70mph until I drained off 10%, then exited and returned back towards home.

Just wondering if anyone has a speed record in the Leaf around here (not advocating reckless driving, just curious).

GerryAZ said:
Leaf will go 94 indicated (93 mi/hr by GPS if tires are inflated to maximum pressure) up hill, on the level, or down hill. Actual speed will be slightly lower if tires are softer.

You can't set the cruise or limiter to over 95mph (indicated) on mine.

Motor power starts to reduce above 95 [indicated] mph but higher speeds are possible downhill.

http://i.imgur.com/a/PWGrs.jpg

I've done full speed for few minutes. It eats battery at unreasonable rate :lol:
Something around 40-45kW draw on a flat dry road.

24kWh Leaf has 22kWh available when new. This means no more than 50km / 31 miles.
In terms of time, at 150kmh/ 93mph, it is exactly 1/3 of an hour, or 20 minutes :lol:

I managed to get my '15 Leaf S up to 90 mph for a short while on the interstate. Unbelievably quiet at that speed. However, the GOM was spinning down like a timer and I was afraid I wouldn't have enough charge to get home. 2 mile sprint used about 10% battery life. I won't be doing that again unless it's an emergency.

strowger said:
GerryAZ said:
Leaf will go 94 indicated (93 mi/hr by GPS if tires are inflated to maximum pressure) up hill, on the level, or down hill. Actual speed will be slightly lower if tires are softer.

You can't set the cruise or limiter to over 95mph (indicated) on mine.

Motor power starts to reduce above 95 [indicated] mph but higher speeds are possible downhill.

http://i.imgur.com/a/PWGrs.jpg

Are you taking a picture while driving 101 miles her hour? That's very dangerous.

mine definitely hits the speed limiter right around 95.. i don't look down for long at that speed though. how did you get it up to 101? just gravity pulling you past 95? that must be a steep hill to overcome the air resistance...

estomax said:
mine definitely hits the speed limiter right around 95.. i don't look down for long at that speed though. how did you get it up to 101? just gravity pulling you past 95? that must be a steep hill to overcome the air resistance...

It's not that steep, there is definitely still power available after 95.

I wonder if it's a speedometer accuracy thing - the EU (Sunderland) ones, on the factory wheels and tyres, read about 110% + 1mph of true speed. Perhaps the US ones are calibrated differently.

Back