Driving Modes 2014 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groingo

First I have read previous posts on this but may have missed something.

My 2014 was made Jan 2014 which may mean it is a 2013 carryover.

My drive modes are D with A and B regen options as well as D Eco mode also with A and B regen options.

The D Eco increases accellerator pressure
D mode alone removes the accellerator pressure while A and B modes increase regen in both Eco and non Eco modes.

In my terrain (lots of hills) D mode in least regen A option because I can coast farther than any regen benefit.

Not sure if there's a question buried in here or not, but assuming you have a 2014 SV or an SL (sounds like it) then there are four options:
1) D with ECO off
2) D with ECO on
3) B with ECO off
4) B with ECO on

ECO remaps the accelerator to be more "dull" so you're less inclined to accelerate as fast. It also supposedly limits the power to the heater/AC. And while in D mode it also increases the amount of regen available.

D vs B just changes the amount of regen available. B mode increases it to max. In terms of least regen to most, it's D w/o ECO, D w/ ECO, and then B (with or without ECO doesn't matter). Coasting is more efficient than regen, but regen is more efficient than using the brakes.

Personally, I drive in B mode without ECO all the time. I like the responsiveness of the pedal better without ECO, the option to do most of my braking with regen so that I only use the brakes below 10mph (even coming off the highway), and it's not hard to coast by adjusting my foot on the accelerator so that I'm using basically no energy (or with a slight regen). But I don't have mile long hills to coast down, just shorter ones where playing with the throttle isn't tiring.

Nissan seems to stop production in December or earlier, so I wouldn't worry much about it being a 2013. In fact, it would be better if it were, as you'd have an 80% charge option. The packs are the same, AFAWK.

magico13 said:
Not sure if there's a question buried in here or not, but assuming you have a 2014 SV or an SL (sounds like it) then there are four options:
1) D with ECO off
2) D with ECO on
3) B with ECO off
4) B with ECO on

ECO remaps the accelerator to be more "dull" so you're less inclined to accelerate as fast. It also supposedly limits the power to the heater/AC. And while in D mode it also increases the amount of regen available.

D vs B just changes the amount of regen available. B mode increases it to max. In terms of least regen to most, it's D w/o ECO, D w/ ECO, and then B (with or without ECO doesn't matter). Coasting is more efficient than regen, but regen is more efficient than using the brakes.

Personally, I drive in B mode without ECO all the time. I like the responsiveness of the pedal better without ECO, the option to do most of my braking with regen so that I only use the brakes below 10mph (even coming off the highway), and it's not hard to coast by adjusting my foot on the accelerator so that I'm using basically no energy (or with a slight regen). But I don't have mile long hills to coast down, just shorter ones where playing with the throttle isn't tiring.

Option 5) Neutral ;)

I also don't use ECO much at all anymore. I find I can regulate the pedal in D just as well to save energy. I'll drive in B as long as I feel the additional regen is not causing me to slow down to the point of having to accelerate more to make up for it. I do drive a daily commute with significant hills. On downhills, I N coast if there's no traffic ahead of me and I can use the momentum to further the distance before I have to engage D again. I only regen on downhills to limit my speed, or if I know traffic is stopped at the bottom, and use it in the order you laid out to meet my braking needs.

I figure if I get where I'm going using the least amount of positive bubbles as possible, for the least amount of time as possible, I am getting the most out of my capacity. On long drives this means a lot of shifting around between modes, but to be honest, it's become second nature now. When I have plenty of charge for my planned day, I'll usually stick it in D and zip about town. :D

I also don't use ECO much at all anymore. I find I can regulate the pedal in D just as well to save energy. I'll drive in B as long as I feel the additional regen is not causing me to slow down to the point of having to accelerate more to make up for it.

I find that even on the steeper (graded) hills B is too strong, and slows the car. Eco is usually just right to maintain speed while sending power to the pack on downhills.

Getting OT a bit, but is there any risk of shifting into R while fiddling with the shifter knob? I assume that since it's all computerized, it would be programmed not to do anything crazy if you were driving forward and bumped the selector into R by accident (or because you were trying to crash the car! :eek: ) Is that true?

Haven't tried that but as far as switching from A to B mode I just tap the trip button while driving in Eco or non Eco modes.

BuckMkII said:
Getting OT a bit, but is there any risk of shifting into R while fiddling with the shifter knob? I assume that since it's all computerized, it would be programmed not to do anything crazy if you were driving forward and bumped the selector into R by accident (or because you were trying to crash the car! :eek: ) Is that true?

Above a certain speed, attempting to select R or P will result in an error beep and a selection o N instead.

Indeed you can shift into R from D while at low speeds and the car will regen heavily and reverse direction; handy for low speed maneuvers, but can be a lazy habit that transfers to other traditional ICE automatics, where such practice can be hard on the transmission.

Pressing P at very low speed may result in the car coming to an abrupt halt. Wouldn't recommend that.

gshepherd said:
BuckMkII said:

Above a certain speed, attempting to select R or P will result in an error beep and a selection o N instead.

Indeed you can shift into R from D while at low speeds and the car will regen heavily and reverse direction; handy for low speed maneuvers, but can be a lazy habit that transfers to other traditional ICE automatics, where such practice can be hard on the transmission.

Pressing P at very low speed may result in the car coming to an abrupt halt. Wouldn't recommend that.

All correct.
It's absolutely safe to shift at any speed. At higher speed it will switch to neutral (good for hypermiling).
At low speed (below 10km/h, 6mph) it will switch to reverse (or to forward in case vehicle was reversing). Absolutely safe and
helps in case of ultra fast maneuvering skills :)
Pressing P while driving at anything faster than walking will result in nothing. At very low speed the parking pawl actually engages.
I've done that multiple times, it's fine. Though not comfortable.
Pulling electric hand-brake while driving is safe for emergency situations (or drifting in case of winter fun).
Pushing hand(leg) brake with left foot (newer Leafs) is mostly safe, depends on situation and brake pad alignment. It might lock up
the rear tires in some half-slippery scenarios. Though acceptable in case of emergency. And definitely works for drifting. Almost like BMW.

PS. It's also safe to switch into R while rolling forward (or visa versa) with automatic transmissions as well.
It will not shift until speed is low enough. And without accelerator pedal pushed it will do no harm at all to transmission.

groingo said:
Haven't tried that but as far as switching from A to B mode I just tap the trip button while driving in Eco or non Eco modes.
Tapping the trip meter button switches from tripmeter "A" to tripmeter "B". Has nothing to do with regenerative braking.

Back