Advice for installing Level 2 station at the house

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyDan

Just looking for some advice from those of you that have installed a L2 charging station at your house. I'm going to have to run a dedicated 240 line out to the garage. I would like to get a 30a/32a EVSE, so it will have to be a 40a circuit. Looks like the best mounting spot will be outside the garage, as with multiple cars, my Leaf could easily end up outside. So, with a 25' cord, matter where I park I should be able to reach with the cord.

--Do you suggest Plug-in or Hard-wired?

--Several of the models I'm looking at are "rated" for outside. However, I'm wondering if in a rural area, with a 25' cord, dogs/random wildlife/nasty weather, it might be better to have it mounted in a weather box? The two models I'm looking at right now are:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0124KHJZ2/?tag=myelecarmecf-20& - I like the fact that it can connect to WiFi and you can mange with an app. Is that useful, or just a bullet point?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00AHG8XVA/ezevchargers-20 - This is one that seems to be recommended?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00KZ3201O/ezevchargers-20 - I'm even willing to go this way for a truly portable solution.

Lastly, a tax question for those of you in NY, are there any catches for the tax credit offered? Can the installation cost be included in the credit, or just the equipment cost?

Link to an article talking about it:
https://www.akingump.com/en/experie...ic-vehicle-recharging-station-tax-credit.html

Link to the NYS Site:
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/alt_fuels_elec_vehicles.htm

Thanks in advance for any advice, please suggest any EVSE models that I've not mentioned.

Clipper Creek charging stations are outdoor rated, simple, and have a long 3 year warranty. I would not use a plug connection outdoors, unless you want to run the power cable inside to plug in. That would only make sense if you have need to unplug the station and remove it, or use it elsewhere. Voltage, BTW, is 240.

SimplyDan said:
--Do you suggest Plug-in or Hard-wired?

--Several of the models I'm looking at are "rated" for outside. However, I'm wondering if in a rural area, with a 25' cord, dogs/random wildlife/nasty weather, it might be better to have it mounted in a weather box? The two models I'm looking at right now are:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0124KHJZ2/?tag=myelecarmecf-20& - I like the fact that it can connect to WiFi and you can mange with an app. Is that useful, or just a bullet point?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00AHG8XVA/ezevchargers-20 - This is one that seems to be recommended?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00KZ3201O/ezevchargers-20 - I'm even willing to go this way for a truly portable solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice, please suggest any EVSE models that I've not mentioned.

- Plug-in would provide you flexibility to move it around or take it with you.
- Weather box will be a great idea if it has to be outside. Run the power cable inside to plug in as suggested by LeftieBiker.
- WiFi with an app has it's own advantages but to each his own. Some people like that idea, some don't care for it. I personally love the idea of being able to change the Charge rate or look up the stats.

I'd suggest looking at JuiceBox Pro 40. Quite a few happy owners on this forum.

--

To meet NEC and UL requirements, plug-connected EVSEs that comply have a power supply cord that is only 12 inches long (to farthest point on plug). Therefore, hard wire connection is probably best for outdoor installation. Another possibility is to install the EVSE just inside the garage so the 25-foot cord would reach a car in the garage or in the driveway (by routing cord under door).

We struggled with the same questions. We installed a 50 amp 14-50 plug inside the garage. Then we got a Juicebox 40 wifi EVSE and mounted it on the wall close to the garage door. We can charge either car inside or outside this way as the cord can go under the garage door. The door closes on the cord. We protect the cord with a soft towel so it doesn't leave a mark. It has worked out well and it is portable if we need it to be this way. There is a level one mounted as well so we can technically charge two vehicles at the same time but really it has never come up.

Good luck with the project.

33326655264_dfba5201c3_z.jpg

The door closes on the cord. We protect the cord with a soft towel so it doesn't leave a mark.

This is very likely damaging the EVSE cable. It doesn't have to be visible damage: the individual wire strands are getting compressed, and will start breaking, one at a time or in groups. The manufacturer probably advises that people not even step on the cable. You need to stop the door from putting any weight on that cable, either by making a channel for it under the door, or by having the door close on a 2x4, with a gap for the cable. If you've done this a lot of times, you should consider it de-rated to something less than its original load carrying specification...

I have the limit switch set so the door just compresses the thick bottom seal enough to create a good seal. That way there is no damage to the cable because the soft seal conforms to and pads the cable. I have been using it this way for almost 6 years and there is no sign of stress or damage to the cable.

Well you have plenty of good options. I personally have 2 charge stations and they both are AeroVironment but I am about to replace the hard wired one with a Tesla HPWC that can do 80 amps max but can be set at much lower power levels as well. In my case 50 amps because of my in wall wiring.

The Tesla HPWC can daisy chain with a second HPWC on the same 100 amp circuit and safely supply 40 amps to each car at the same time.
So if Tesla is in your future or a second electric car... Also keep in mind that other brand vehicles may not plug in at the front of the car.

Both AeroVironment charge stations are located outside the garage with one being a hard wired and the other a plug in.

Both would be considered (dumb) chargers but have worked flawlessly. One less gadget to have to program to talk to. Just plug it in, after you have set the onboard charge time on you car, and never think about it again.

I like having the one with the plug to take with me if I wish, or use the 14-50 weatherproof outlet for other equipment, like my welder, when needed.

I thought that I had future proofed my wiring, by using 6 awg homerun to each charge station from the panel, but I now have a Tesla with dual onboard chargers.

So... I can only charge at 50 amps with the HPWC but can charge at 30 amps with an adapter for the j1172 to Tesla. The car will take 80 amps. I am realizing though, that 50 amps is OK rather than heat everything up more, by putting in 2 awg or heavier copper, and running at 80 amps.

However, If I would have known, I would have put in even heavier gauge wire to handle at least a 100 amp breaker.

But now, It will save me a pretty good dime by NOT revisiting it. So I did future-proof it somewhat.

So, you should try to think of your future too!

LeftieBiker said:
The door closes on the cord. We protect the cord with a soft towel so it doesn't leave a mark.

This is very likely damaging the EVSE cable. It doesn't have to be visible damage: the individual wire strands are getting compressed, and will start breaking, one at a time or in groups. The manufacturer probably advises that people not even step on the cable. You need to stop the door from putting any weight on that cable, either by making a channel for it under the door, or by having the door close on a 2x4, with a gap for the cable. If you've done this a lot of times, you should consider it de-rated to something less than its original load carrying specification...

Depends on the garage door. A "soft-close" aluminum door won't be an issue.

Of the 3 you listed I'd probably suggest the Chargepoint, that or the Aero. Note for the Chargepoint only the hardwired version is rated for outdoor use. If you wanted to go the portable route with a plug I'd suggest one of the many Clipper Creek models, they are in the same class as the others you listed.
Do you have at least a overhang, or would the EVSE sit in the direct line of rain or snow? If the latter I might really think of mounting the EVSE inside your garage and somehow running the J1772 cord where it won't get compressed. I have an outside outlet under a 2' eve and it's been working great for about a year, I use an EVSEupgrade'd EVSE for 20a charging from a L6-30 plug.
It's nice having the actual EVSE outside, for looking at the lights and such but not critical. Again if you could get some sort of overhang to keep the majority of rain off it, I'd probably suggest an outside installation, either plug in or hard wired, otherwise I'd probably stick it in the garage and run the cord out somehow.
Are you planning on ever charging inside the garage? another advantage to mounting it inside. Note I installed 2 outlets on my 240v line, one outside and one back to back inside. I could only use one at a time at full load but that way I can also plug my portable EVSE inside the garage, for cars that might be parked there.

SimplyDan said:
Lastly, a tax question for those of you in NY, are there any catches for the tax credit offered? Can the installation cost be included in the credit, or just the equipment cost?

When I installed my EVSE, I included all costs - material and installation. The state didn't bat an eye, and gave me the credit against the full cost.

I paid a local electrician to install a 14-50 outlet in the garage next to the doors. I plug in a clipper creek EVSE. This choice had these advantages:

1. I can charge outside in the summer or inside the garage in the winter
2. The outlet installation was cheaper -- about $200, because it was not hard-wired and only a short run from my breaker box.
3. I can easily take the EVSE to another spot or home

To avoid damage to the EVSE cord when it leaves the garage in the summer, I DIY installed a piece of wood on the driveway under the door so that the cord could exit and never be submitted to any forces,kinks or pressures. Here are some photos of the EVSE cable outside.
https://goo.gl/photos/udyMd7jrU31aBcg7A

Note that the installation is incomplete and the wood is not yet attached to the garage opening. I plan to paint the wood and attach a thin rubber strip on the underside of the wood to prevent water from seeping into the wood or into the garage during the winter. The beveled and rounded wood was easy to make with a circular saw and sander since my router was unavailable. Total cost was ~ $5

uc

+1 on the Juice Box Pro 40. I have it connected using 14-50 to outlet that I had an electrician install. J-cord is just long enough to run underneath the garage door if I need to do. Most of the time, the Leaf is charged inside the garage.

webb14leafs said:
LeftieBiker said:

Depends on the garage door. A "soft-close" aluminum door won't be an issue.
Until there is a malfunction. A lot of Amps run through the cable -- I advise erring on the safe side.

SageBrush said:
I paid a local electrician to install a 14-50 outlet in the garage next to the doors. I plug in a clipper creek EVSE. This choice had these advantages:

1. I can charge outside in the summer or inside the garage in the winter
2. The outlet installation was cheaper -- about $200, because it was not hard-wired and only a short run from my breaker box.
3. I can easily take the EVSE to another spot or home

To avoid damage to the EVSE cord when it leaves the garage in the summer, I DIY installed a piece of wood on the driveway under the door so that the cord could exit and never be submitted to any forces,kinks or pressures. Here are some photos of the EVSE cable outside.
https://goo.gl/photos/udyMd7jrU31aBcg7A

Note that the installation is incomplete and the wood is not yet attached to the garage opening. I plan to paint the wood and attach a thin rubber strip on the underside of the wood to prevent water from seeping into the wood or into the garage during the winter. The beveled and rounded wood was easy to make with a circular saw and sander since my router was unavailable. Total cost was ~ $5

This is almost identical to what I just set up over the weekend. I installed the 240v NEMA 6-50 plug myself since it was such a close run to the main panel. I mounted the Clipper Creek EVSE HCS-40P to the garage wall to accommodate inside and outside charging. I could easily make it to anywhere in the driveway with the cord. I mounted the holster around to the side of my house to avoid having it in plain sight.

Lc1Mllc.jpg

KnLLE5g.jpg

sKZzLct.jpg

QdGFAPN.jpg

Thanks for all the great replies! Some pretty great DiY stuff here. I'm favoring the outside mounting right now, but not finding a good sized weather box for it yet (may have to build one?). I'm leaning towards the JuiceBox Pro 40 due to the cost and connectivity. I will definitely post pictures when the project is finished. Thanks again for all the advice!

Here is the JuiceBox 40 Pro I ended up installing. I still have to paint the mounting board :oops:
One thing I noticed is according to the app, it is only drawing 27+- amps while charging versus the 40 the JuiceBox can do. Is this normal? I had to run the cable (rated for 40 amps) for about 80 feet under the house....not fun. I know there can be a dropoff over distance, could it be this severe?

https://imgbb.com/

SimplyDan said:
One thing I noticed is according to the app, it is only drawing 27+- amps while charging versus the 40 the JuiceBox can do. Is this normal?

Yes. Leafs can only draw a maximum of 6.6 kW (27.5 amps at 240 volts) and some Leafs (pre-2013, Leaf S w/o QC package) can only draw 3.8 kW.

I'd recommend a Juicebox EVSE and a 50 amp RV plug in a weather shielded outlet box ($30 or so at Home Depot). Just mount it out of the sun somewhere. This way it's portable and replaceable if necessary. The cable is thick enough that most critters will just ignore it. The Juicebox is weatherproof so no problems there. Pay once for the outlet installation rather than the inevitable cost of replacing a hard wired unit.

Back