Out of state lease question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inphoenix said:
Has anyone done a lease from out of state for a Nissan Leaf?

I got quotes for one. The main difference seems to be that it's much easier to pay any sales tax directly to your state, so "rolling it into the lease" is not encouraged.

LeftieBiker said:
inphoenix said:
Has anyone done a lease from out of state for a Nissan Leaf?

I got quotes for one. The main difference seems to be that it's much easier to pay any sales tax directly to your state, so "rolling it into the lease" is not encouraged.

So are you saying that the quoted monthly price was not inclusive of local sales tax and you'd have to pay them separately? Can you share the numbers as an example?

So are you saying that the quoted monthly price was not inclusive of local sales tax and you'd have to pay them separately? Can you share the numbers as an example?

That's what I'm saying, but I can't remember quotes accurately enough. I think the payment was about $75/month lower than a tax-inclusive payment, but I'm not certain of that figure, It will also vary by state.

LeftieBiker said:

That's what I'm saying, but I can't remember quotes accurately enough. I think the payment was about $75/month lower than a tax-inclusive payment, but I'm not certain of that figure, It will also vary by state.

So here's my situation and I would like your thoughts on this.

The local dealers are offering ~ $290 per month for a 2 year lease incl taxes.
Cali dealers are offering as low as $230 per month including taxes (all terms same).

However the local dealer says that when you register the car in AZ, the state will ask for tax on lease as Cali has no tax on lease but AZ does. Sounds like baloney but I want to be sure.

Cali dealer says that if anything I will have to pay the small difference in tax if the tax rates are different between those counties. I understand that part as the same happened with my Tesla that came from Cali and my monthly payment was less by a few bucks. (That was a lease takeover and not from a dealer).

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I think that some dealers will handle the tax payments (NOT pay them themselves, though) while others don't want to deal with it. Give a Ca dealer your state info and ask for a firm quote, with your taxes rolled in.

California does add sales tax. My lease before taxes is $499 but my payment is $537.32. They add 38.67 sales tax. It will very depending on the county you are in. In LA county it would be more than Orange county, Riverside would be less.

inphoenix said:
However the local dealer says that when you register the car in AZ, the state will ask for tax on lease as Cali has no tax on lease but AZ does. Sounds like baloney but I want to be sure..

It is balony. California requires you pay tax TWICE on leases: on the Capitalized Cost Reduction (meaning the $7500 Federal Tax credit, if passed on, gets taxed), as well as on each monthly payment. The tax on the monthly payment can go up or down as tax legislation is passed/removed/expired.

However if you buy the car in CA, but do not register it here, and instead have it trucked/trailered out of state, you should not be paying tax to Sacramento. Perhaps that's what the salesman meant.

Back