Some LeafSpy data after 6 months, 6,000 Miles on a used 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurfHawk

Here is a chart on my LeafSpy data from a used 2013 I bought back in October with help from this forum. Six months and 6,000 miles later I lost my first bar. I knew it was coming based on AHr but was hoping it wouldn't hit for 3-6 more months. I'm still really happy with buying this car.

aRjADqo.png

Build date: 4/2013
Car location: Coastal Southern California - avg mid 60s since since Oct probably
Charging habits: L2 80% at home, L2 100% if free juice in the wild

That's better than my 2013 with a 12/13 build date. I'm at 27,059 miles, 52.29 AHr, 79% SOH, 1 bar loss. But I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Hoping for rapid degradation now lol

After the last 2 weeks I am convinced owner's habits make a huge difference in battery health, reported health and actual. I have put over 7000 miles in only 3 months on my used car and the Ahr and Hx and everything else are within 5% of when I bought the car. I bought at 63Ahr and I've seen it from 64 to 59 and usually it settles at 61-62 Ahr. Well I lent the car to my family for a week last week and they only did L1 charging and never used the full range of the battery. After only 4 days in their possession Leaf Spy showed that my car went from 61Ahr when I dropped it off to 56Ahr! The first bar is lost at around there IIRC. So maybe if I left it for another week they would have lost my first bar!

Since then I've gotten my car back and driven my normal cycle a few times of pretty much going from 100% - 20% every day and using L2 at home and now my car is happily back up to 62Ahr.

Now the big question is how much of this capacity is real and how much is just recalculation by the computer? Does the computer anticipate degradation based on charging habits, and then when habits are changed the computer re-adjusts? Or do some charging habits cause degredation that can be un-done by different charging habits? Or does the battery degrade at whatever rate it feels like it and charging habits only recalibrate the computer because the computer never had a good measure of the capacity in the first place? Could the OP regain a bar by charging to 100% and driving to 20% every day and using a QC here and again? And if he did, would he be able to actually drive any further than if he hopped into his car right now? The world may never know.

I charge using only L-1 at home, and while I charge to 100% a lot (maybe once a week) in Winter, I don't do it as much in Summer. My SOH has been pretty stable, very slowly dropping over years, never rising. I think you may have the wrong suspect in custody.

LeftieBiker said:
I charge using only L-1 at home, and while I charge to 100% a lot (maybe once a week) in Winter, I don't do it as much in Summer. My SOH has been pretty stable, very slowly dropping over years, never rising. I think you may have the wrong suspect in custody.
Well if you disagree then I'm probably on the right track! Seriously though, this OP has a 4/13 car and you are adamant that ALL 4/13 cars have the newer pack. I think you're wrong about that.

Back