tax credit if you lease a new leaf? (2016)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coloradotim

I signed a lease for a new 2016 Leaf in October. Am I eligible for a Federal tax credit or is that only if you purchase a 2016 Leaf?

My understanding is that whoever purchased the LEAF you're leasing gets the credit on their taxes, and that Nissan routinely passes that credit on to the lessee as if they'd made a down payment of that amount. So you've already gotten the credit.

You might be eligible for state, local, or utility credits/rebates depending on where you live.

The federal credit goes to the entity that actually purchased the vehicle when new.

Normally, the Federal credit is applied to reduce your cost when leasing. Pull out the lease documents and confirm. It should have all been explained when you signed for it.

I think that if Nissan had stopped applying the full credit to the lease down payment we would have found out by now. GM didn't get to keep it off the radar for very long at all.

coloradotim said:
I signed a lease for a new 2016 Leaf in October. Am I eligible for a Federal tax credit or is that only if you purchase a 2016 Leaf?
Only the owner is eligible, which you are not.

Nissan/NMAC (the owner of your vehicle) collected the tax credit and passed most/all of it along in the form of a cheaper lease. It should've showed up as a $7.5k+ down payment made on your behalf on your lease contract.

Back