Does anyone have experience with a round trip >200 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrp10000

Two weeks in, and no buyer's remorse here! 32 miles round trip with a few round trips that exceeded over 100 round trip miles, but access to QC is available so no worries there.

Now I'm itching to see if I can make a longer trip work. I live near Charlotte, and there is plenty of access for both quick charging and 240v charging. It's not something I would plan to do all the time, and I know it's not practical, it's, just one of those things I want to check off my bucket list of things to do with the LEAF. I'm not limiting myself to any particular area of my state, but I would need to make the trip this summer if it is going to happen. I have friends and family in the northern mountains of NC, and I fancy a trip to Myrtle Beach from time to time.

If anyone has any advice on what to look out for, I'm all ears.

With a 2011 24kw battery LEAF, and still relatively new back then, I have on several occasions done 140 miles round trip. I believe the longest has been about 160 to 170 miles in one day. And yes, the QC is a huge benefit. I pulled in to Hill Nissan in Winter Haven even after they had technically closed and was able to get those last few miles to home on their QC because one of the employees didn't leave until about 45 minutes after closing. It gets to be a bit of a long day, especially when I'm charging on the 240V, but I was still able to do the 140 miles without any QC. I just hate having to go out of the way those two or three miles, as that equates to an extra half hour of charging just to cover the trip to the charger.

I recently drove 205 miles from just outside Atlanta, through Chattanooga to Huntsville Alabama in one day, and returned the following day. The drive was easy because of Plugshare and being smart about the trip. If you look at Plugshare, you will see I recharged in Calhoun, Chattanooga, then Hollywood AL. Hollywood was a Level 2, but I had work to do so, I just pulled up and charged.

After charging full at home, I basically charged as needed, but not exceeding 80% on the DCFC, as that is when the battery starts building up heat and getting really hot. Trailers are your friend, and you should not tailgate them, but follow at 5-7 seconds behind them. Also, forget about speeding aver 60mph. If you do 60 in the slow lane you will be fine.

It's kind of like flight planning. Check the weather and the route, figure out what your efficiency will be. Based on that figure out your range and locate your charging stops. Find alternates in case you run out early or they are out of order. Don't expect to be early and don't rush.

Nice feedback. I'll take the QC charging advice...I've used that three times in the last two weeks, and the last time I got a charge of 93% (didn't keep check on time). Nice to know that I can be done with careful planning. Side note: When telling my dad (who is almost 70) of how carefully I needed to plan, his response was that I should plan on calling a tow truck lol.

If I'm able to do it, I'll share my experience!

I concur with the good advice given by others. I have taken several dozen long trips in my 2014 Leaf. Maine-Mass and Maine to NJ mostly. But also twice to a campground in Baxter State Park where no power is available. It can be done.
Taking a walk, getting something eat, reading, napping and finding the best route to the next charger are all part of the experience. I have taken a kayak, bike (I now have folding models) and sleeping bag along at times. Still haven't worked out the optimum balance but in general I stick to the speed limit and change more frequently. A scenic road at 45 is great, but interstates can yield very good m/kwh averages as well. Just not at 75. The last 30% of the battery fills more slowly so I often stop charging below 80%.
Charge at DC chargers whenever possible, but some trips required a 240 ac stop. Overnight at an RV campsite works too.
In summary I look at the travel time as part of the vacation otherwise I would take the train or an ICE.

mrp10000 said:
Two weeks in, and no buyer's remorse here! 32 miles round trip with a few round trips that exceeded over 100 round trip miles, but access to QC is available so no worries there.

Now I'm itching to see if I can make a longer trip work. I live near Charlotte, and there is plenty of access for both quick charging and 240v charging. It's not something I would plan to do all the time, and I know it's not practical, it's, just one of those things I want to check off my bucket list of things to do with the LEAF. I'm not limiting myself to any particular area of my state, but I would need to make the trip this summer if it is going to happen. I have friends and family in the northern mountains of NC, and I fancy a trip to Myrtle Beach from time to time.

If anyone has any advice on what to look out for, I'm all ears.

I did 211 on Wednesday but not really a round trip although I did end up in the same place as I started. Started at 6 AM ending around 6 PM (traffic killed my return time!) I was lucky in that I did two QCs (got home with 40 miles of range left) but the key was the first one was just about perfectly positioned 82 miles into my day.

the other thing to note is if starting charge with a lower SOC, you will charge at full rate to 75% SOC (starting at higher SOC's I see the taper starting at roughly 70%) Granted my charges have been at fairly low Batt temps so it remains to be seen what hotter temps will do

167 miles round trip commute to work checking in. Leave at full charge, stop after 42 miles at L3 station at ~35% SOC for 15 minute 47kW charge, arrive at work after +41 miles and ~30% SOC. On the way back stop at another free L3 at +9 miles for 15 - 20 minute charge at 38kW. Drive 32 miles to the first L3 station for 15 minute charge, then 42 miles back the house. Overall it adds 2 hours to my original 2.5 - 3 hour round trip commute in gas car (with traffic). Thankfully I only have to travel this route for 1 month per year or 11 times/yr total.

mrp10000 said:
Now I'm itching to see if I can make a longer trip work.

I've done a 373 km or 232 mile trip in a day with a 24kW 2014 Leaf. I've done a longer trip with an overnight stay (with L1 charging).

4 DCQCs, a few hours at an L2, and 30 minutes at another L2.

Plan on where you are going to charge, have alternate plans if a charger or charging station is down or busier than you want to wait for, and relax. If an overnight, have a place to stay with charging if at all possible.
Or eat dinner at someplace with charging, or reasonable nearby.

What I have discovered with 2015 LEAF S 24 kwH battery is keep it under 40 miles for 80% to 20% battery discharges.

So it takes a little planning with Nissan LEAF EZ-Charge app to do it.

Why not tell us the exact departure and destination, and I guarantee that we can plan it out for you.

To answer your specific question, yes, I have driven a LEAF over 200. I did 1600 miles on June 12-20, 2012, from Mexico to Canada.

Since that time, I've driven an EV coast-to-coast.

AntronX said:
167 miles round trip commute to work checking in. ... Overall it adds 2 hours to my original 2.5 - 3 hour round trip commute in gas car (with traffic). Thankfully I only have to travel this route for 1 month per year or 11 times/yr total.

Now that is impressive! But doing the trip 11 times in one month would be pretty difficult, as opposed to 1 time/month over a year.

TonyWilliams said:
To answer your specific question, yes, I have driven a LEAF over 200. I did 1600 miles on June 12-20, 2012, from Mexico to Canada.

Since that time, I've driven an EV coast-to-coast.

OK, well yes, that's REALLY impressive. Even more when noting the 6/2012 time period.

We always expect nothing less than spectacular from TonyWilliams though. :D

A couple more notes.

1. I always use LeafSpy to judge my range. The GOM seems to more inaccurate after multiple QCs.
2. During the summer (75-85F), a discharge/quickcharge cycle raises the battery temp gauge 1 bar. I've never had to stop just to let the battery cool. But often have reached the end of the trip up against the red bars. Not a problem in the winter!
3. Whether it is a slushy road, the need to use the defrost, or a charger out of commission, it's better to be safe and have a 20+ mile range buffer on any leg of the trip.
4. I have the stock EVSE converted to work with 110-250V with a variety of plugs. 120v charging is the pits.

Back