So, any speculation on charger size on 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is more the same of what they have now, 6.6kwh or 27.5a, which to me makes very little sense as for home wiring to get 27.5a you need #8 gauge wire and a 40a breaker, both of which are rated for 32a continuous which would be ~7.7kwh. Now some may say 8 gauge for the J1772 wire would be too thick, and I'd agree but with metric sized wire 32a is easily attainable. Many of the Chinese EVSEs are already using metric wiring rated for 32a continuous, I know 2 of mine are and they aren't really any more bulky than 10 gauge wiring.
What I'd really like to see is EVs and EV chargers rated for 3-phase or at least 277v, now that would be nice for commercial installations :)
I believe Tesla's are, of course they seem to be ahead of everyone else in lots of ways.....

Well, maybe we'll see at least a 7.7 KW unit like the BMW's. We future proofed to 6 gauge wire and dual 50 amp breakers on our 50 amp stove plug install. We also got the 10kw WIFI juice box. I think Mercedes has a 10Kw charger in one of their cars. Yes I know, much more expensive car.

I really don't think that there needs to be much of an increase in charger capacity at this point for home chargers. 6.6, 30 amp is pretty quick for a home, and pushing to 50+ amp 240v breakers would really be unrealistic for most houses..

I am happy with my 30 amp 240 v charger at this point. Even if my next car went to 50 or 60 KW battery, I would only need to charge for 4 hours or so??

The issue isn't home charging, but higher amperage public charging.

On http://plugshare.com

Look up Winthrop, WA. No DCQC. But there are high amperage L2 stations. 15kW internal charger would be very nice, when traveling in areas like this.

powersurge said:
I really don't think that there needs to be much of an increase in charger capacity at this point for home chargers. 6.6, 30 amp is pretty quick for a home, and pushing to 50+ amp 240v breakers would really be unrealistic for most houses..

I am happy with my 30 amp 240 v charger at this point. Even if my next car went to 50 or 60 KW battery, I would only need to charge for 4 hours or so??

I don't know. In my country most houses have 200 amp panels. We have a simple 1600 square foot town house. Even after adding a 50 amp breaker for our 10 KW Juice Box the electrician said there is still capacity remaining. It might not be the case in all houses but certainly there are many houses that are capable of handling a 50 amp circuit and a 10 Kw charger draw.

My house panel is 150 amps and I've future-proofed a 50a 14-50 outlet in my garage with 6 gauge wire(for up to 50a) although I only have a 40a breaker installed now. My Juicebox also goes up to 60?? amps although with it's current 10+ gauge j1772 wire it's basically limited to 32a or 7.7kwh. I for one would love faster L2 charging for my next EV although even 27.5a(6.6kw) is nice, much nicer than older 16a(3.6kw) Leafs for sure!

All of this technology speculation for the Leaf batteries and chargers reminds me of the early days of computers.

First there were Dial-up 300 Baud modems, then 600, 1200, and then 14.4K Baud modems.. If you tried to keep up the ever increasing capacity of computer equipment, you spent TONS of money... I certainly did!! However, I have vowed not to do that with the Leaf. I have one now, it serves my needs, and will try to not spend again for a decade... Cross my fingers...

powersurge said:
All of this technology speculation for the Leaf batteries and chargers reminds me of the early days of computers.

First there were Dial-up 300 Baud modems, then 600, 1200, and then 14.4K Baud modems.. If you tried to keep up the ever increasing capacity of computer equipment, you spent TONS of money... I certainly did!! However, I have vowed not to do that with the Leaf. I have one now, it serves my needs, and will try to not spend again for a decade... Cross my fingers...

I hear that. Both of our EV's are suitable for our needs now. When we retire in 4 to 7 years we will get the latest and greatest technology. Probably the year before actually.

If they want to cut development and manufacturing costs, they'll keep it at 6.6 kW max input.

But, perhaps we'll see 7.2 kW (30 amps * 240 volts) or 7.68 kW (32 amps * 240 volts). ~10 kW... err 9.6 kW (240 volts * 40 amps) if we're lucky. I doubt we'll see anything significantly above 9.6 kW.

Making AC charging speed comparable to DC is not reasonable.
Golden rule is to be able to fully recharge the vehicle during night/off-peak period.
For 24kWh packs 3kW requires 7 hours. Tesla also needs around 7 hours.
Tesla even dropped 20/22kW dual charger option as it overkill (faster than 7 hours with 100kWh).
And 7 hours is roughly the time people sleep and grid is extremely lightly loaded.
50-60kWh packs would need faster charger as standard. Is it 32A or 40A is not that
important. Most likely 32A as it is well known standard for 230V supply. Even Tesla
used 16A and 32A steps on their non-US vehicles, though with 3-phase capability.
Making Leaf2 with 40A capability will be extremely foolish as most of the world, which
uses 3 phases, will be limited to 32A per phase. And very likely Nissan will only make
one charger design.

It's more important to support DC charging way above 50kW rate.
30kWh battery packs already max out 50kW chargers between 0% and 75%.

Dual 1772's even at 6.6 (or 6.0) would be nice, it would be redundant and potentially give you twice the charge rate as well as being a "stock" item for Nissan. But I doubt it will happen...

BrockWI said:
Dual 1772's even at 6.6 (or 6.0) would be nice, it would be redundant and potentially give you twice the charge rate as well as being a "stock" item for Nissan. But I doubt it will happen...

That makes no sense for a MFG to do at so many levels.

I understand it makes no sense and I agree. A single larger unit would be better. Am I recalling incorrectly, but didn't Tesla have that as an option, to add a second on-board AC charger with a second 1772 port, or was it just a supercharger port and added a J1772 port? I know the Tesla's have a larger pack, but isn't their standard charger a 11kw or optional 17kw chargers?

I don't see Nissan upping the onboard charge rate. I do hope they will get to 100kW for DCQC rates. I believe that CHAdeMO can/will support at least 200A. That gives a nominal 80kW, which is still about double what they have today.

The Tesla Model S comes standard with a 48A onboard charger, and still has a optional upgrade to a 72A charger (see the High Amperage Charger Upgrade at https://www.tesla.com/models/design). The "mobile connector" supplied with the car can charge at 40A (when connected via a NEMA 14-50). Prior to this option, they used to have an option that had dual onboard chargers, but still only 1 charging connection on the car. You can still order the dual charger if you have an older car.

jlv said:
The Tesla Model S comes standard with a 48A onboard charger, and still has a optional upgrade to a 72A charger (see the High Amperage Charger Upgrade at https://www.tesla.com/models/design). The "mobile connector" supplied with the car can charge at 40A (when connected via a NEMA 14-50). Prior to this option, they used to have an option that had dual onboard chargers, but still only 1 charging connection on the car. You can still order the dual charger if you have an older car.
Yep. When they have the single vs. dual OBC options, all Tesla (and Tesla powered vehicles like the Rav4 EV and Merc B-Class ED) came with a single "10 kW" OBC (40 amps so really 9.6 kW when you do 240 volts * 40 amps). They let you add a 2nd "10 kW" OBC for 80 amps.

My work has maybe 8 to 10 (I forget the exact count) Tesla HPWCs and I'm told all of them are on 100 amp circuits, allowing for 80 amp charging at max.

arnis said:
Making AC charging speed comparable to DC is not reasonable.
It can for https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging.

Their wall connectors (e.g. https://shop.teslamotors.com/products/wall-connector-with-24-cable) can support up to 80 amps on a 100 amp circuit. As we discussed before, they used to include a 40 amp (10 kW) OBC standard w/an option for a 2nd one. See jlv's post about now.

There are CHAdeMO chargers as low as 6 kW and even 10 kW in Japan. See https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/chademo-make-model-review-%E2%80%94-using-with-a-tesla.42176/page-8#post-961564 and https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/chademo-make-model-review-%E2%80%94-using-with-a-tesla.42176/page-8#post-971287.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/chademo-make-model-review-%E2%80%94-using-with-a-tesla.42176/page-9#post-972951 mentions different "strengths" of Eaton DC FCs.

You plan to stay at your destination for as long as you stay in the bathroom of the shopping mall?
I hope not: people stay at destination for hours. Either due to the reason they went there or sleeping.
Slower DC stations is not an argument to make AC charging faster.
The whole idea of onboard charger is to minimize infrastructure expenses while making vehicle more expensive.
No need to make vehicle exceptionally expensive as rapid charging infrastructure is and will be there anyway.

Tesla does not support 80A AC for a while now.

Some DC chargers here where I live are also limited to something something. This is usually due to
grid and pricing according to available amps per customer. Chargers in the city are on average
more limited than those that are in the middle of nothing.

When I said making AC charging as fast as DC I meant nominal values of both on-board and off-board chargers.

It is still 6.6kWh charger. so still at at 27.5Amps
https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/

Faster estimated charge time based with 240-volt charging dock and 6.6 kW onboard charger, which is standard on all trims except S. Charge times may vary.
Mileage estimates only. Range will vary depending upon driving/charging habits, speed, conditions, weather, temperatures, and battery age. The driver’s display shown does not show default screen settings.

However the fast charger is 50kWh DC

240V - FAST CHARGING (HOME AND PUBLIC)[*]
1 HOUR CHARGE
= UP TO 22 MILES
OF RANGE

50KW - FASTEST CHARGING (PUBLIC)[*]
30 MINUTE CHARGE
= UP TO 88 MILES
OF RANGE

Back