2017 battery manuf. (updated: ..is a 24kWh) p/n 295B0-9RB9E

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

Updated 3/1/2017: I only received a 24kWh battery replacement in an agreed 80/20 warranty settlement.

I am in the process of receiving a battery replacement into my 2011 Leaf.

Does anyone here know if I have received a 30 kWh pack?

There are some clues but I am unable to decipher. The battery arrived in a large wooden crate with some tags/stickers:

1. "Nissan Genuine Part" Made in USA: Bat Assy-Main : 295B0-9RB9E 01/20/17

2. Label sticker: Side 1 295B09RB9E SM11715000312 (Note: From a previous post here of someone's picture, it seems "SM" is the s/n and the 1st 3 digits confirm the pack's build date "117" ? see: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20924&start=260#p479424

3. Pack Sequence No sticker: Pack ID: 295B09RB9E SM11715000312 Prod Date 01/05/2017 Pack Type: B9E

I cannot determine the validity that the Nissan Battery Factory in the US have stopped producing 24kWh batteries for the year 2017 onwards. From what I can see, I am certain, perhaps the one I received is indeed a 1/2017 production battery. Unfortunately, there is nothing printed that says it's 30 kWh on the wooden crate itself.

Any thoughts?

Use LeafSpy to check the battery after it is installed. It should report around 64Ah for a 24kwh battery pack and around 80Ah for a 30kwh battery pack. There has been a lot of question and debate about what Nissan is doing for battery warranty replacements. Please keep us updated, we would all like to know what you get installed.

My understanding is that the 30 kwh battery is not backwardly compatible with the previous model Leafs. That strongly suggests to me that you have received a 24 kwh replacement battery.

electromotive said:
Hello. Many of us are curious as to how you qualified for a warranty replacement battery for your 2011LEAF.
What was the build date, and what was the In Service Date?
Thank you.
Maybe not a "warranty" replacement?

My degradation process documented:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789&start=790#p472355

Short version:
Date of Manufacture: 05/11, took delivery 1st week of July, 2011. Lost 4th bar 3 months later after warranty expired.

Warranty claim:
1. Never skipped a battery report, have the reports ready.
2. Work closely with your service advisor, they deal directly with Nissan to argue your case.
3. We were awarded 80/20 settlement for both our Leafs. My cost is $1183 per vehicle.

When we were awarded the settlement, I casually called into Nissan and discovered that there wasn't even a case file open on our VINs. We concluded that the dealership does have influence and engages behind-the-scenes.

electromotive said:
Hello. Many of us are curious as to how you qualified for a warranty replacement battery for your 2011LEAF.
Thank you.

Yes, do tell after you have installed your Ah reading. Would be interested in hearing what you have found.

Interestingly enough when looking up the 2017 30kwh battery pack on Nissan USA eSTORE Parts, it says part number for Lithium-Ion battery not available yet.

https://peorianissanazparts.com/nissanImages/ZE0U/053_ZE0U_0000000095.jpg

I have always been curious..what the price will be on a 30Kwh battery replacement...I guess, Nissan hasn't announced it yet...

Update:

Leafspy data:
3/1/17: AHr=63.8 CAP=96.29%. Hlth=100.00%, GIDS=278 (new 24kWh battery, battery build date: 2017/1/5)

Looks like I received a 24kWh battery with a true build date of 2017/1/5

Some notes:
1. Battery is housed in a black color enclosure.
2. There is a sticker on the black enclosure which clearly states "24kWh".
Note: This sticker label also has the p/n: 295B09RB9E ; Plant/Line: SM 1 ; S/n: 1715000312
3. There is another code E48A which I don't know what it stands for.

decoding the above: SM means Smyrna, Tennessee, production Line 1 , build date 2017/1/5

This matches a sticker on the wooden crate:
Pack Sequence No sticker: Pack ID: 295B09RB9E SM11715000312 Prod Date 01/05/2017 Pack Type: B9E

I spoke with the technician who installed my battery and here's some interesting things he mentioned:
1. He said the black battery enclosure indicated it was still the 2013 revision. (I think we call this the Lizard battery?)
2. He said 2013 model Leafs which he had serviced/worked on, most have their 12 bars intact even at 40k miles.
3. He said there is circuitry inside these 2013 batteries which limit the current draw from the pack. He mentioned that he can feel a slight motor response loss, after a battery replacement in a 2011/12 model Leaf, i.e. the acceleration is less compared to the older silver enclosure batteries.
4. Lastly, he has never installed a 30kWh battery in any model year Leaf. Not yet, he says. He has seen the pictures in the training manuals, and the enclosure looks different

Anyways, we are waiting for the 2nd battery to show up for my other Leaf. My service advisor has written notations on the NRS order to supply a "30kWh" if available. He said the same for my current one, but looks like they sent out a 24kWh.

Anyways, the wife's happy with the new 24kWh, it will last us another 5 years or more assuming nothing else breaks in the vehicle....

baustin said:
Use LeafSpy to check the battery after it is installed. It should report around 64Ah for a 24kwh battery pack and around 80Ah for a 30kwh battery pack. There has been a lot of question and debate about what Nissan is doing for battery warranty replacements. Please keep us updated, we would all like to know what you get installed.

Thanks for the update. Now that all the new models come with one, I was hoping that Nissan would be using 30kwh batteries as warranty replacements by the time I need one. Since it will be in the next few months, I doubt that will happen.

Let me try again. My understanding is that the 30 kwh battery pack is not backwardly compatible with older Leafs.

https://transportevolved.com/2015/09/11/confirmed-30-kwh-nissan-leaf-battery-packs-incompatible-with-older-nissan-leafs/

Dooglas said:
Let me try again. My understanding is that the 30 kwh battery pack is not backwardly compatible with older Leafs.

https://transportevolved.com/2015/09/11/confirmed-30-kwh-nissan-leaf-battery-packs-incompatible-with-older-nissan-leafs/

There are a few threads on here somewhere that go over the compatibility issues. It has been reported that even though the shell and connectors are the same, the 30kwh batteries are not electrically compatible with the cars that shipped with 24kwh batteries. There was also speculation that Nissan discontinued production of the 24kwh packs and would be using 30kwh packs for warranty replacements when the 24khw pack supply was depleted. There was also a claim by one poster that Nissan was already supplying 30kwh packs as warranty replacements for 24kwh packs. It's not that the older cars could not handle higher capacity battery packs, Nissan is just not going to make them available as an option.

Personally, I was hoping that Nissan was going to make the packs backward compatible and supply the higher kwh packs as warranty replacements going forward. I will have a new pack, under warranty, by the end of the summer. I was hoping for the longer range. Sadly, it does not look like that will happen. Still, a new battery pack will essentially turn my four year old Leaf into a like-new car.

mxp said:
My degradation process documented:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789&start=790#p472355

Short version:
Date of Manufacture: 05/11, took delivery 1st week of July, 2011. Lost 4th bar 3 months later after warranty expired.

Warranty claim:
1. Never skipped a battery report, have the reports ready.
2. Work closely with your service advisor, they deal directly with Nissan to argue your case.
3. We were awarded 80/20 settlement for both our Leafs. My cost is $1183 per vehicle.

When we were awarded the settlement, I casually called into Nissan and discovered that there wasn't even a case file open on our VINs. We concluded that the dealership does have influence and engages behind-the-scenes.

electromotive said:
Thank you.

MXP, may I ask which dealer are you working with to receive out-of-warranty replacements? Thanks.

Sure. I worked with Frank (Service Dept) from Premier Nissan Fremont. Frank was awesome, and a true customer advocate.

I will say, words alone is not going to help if you did not have the annual battery checks done. As silly, and a waste of money these battery checks are, you will need them for Nissan battery warranty claims. I typically use the Costco coupon and do them for $70 or so.

I think I even paid for one done, on the final day my 5-yr warranty expired, and never made the 4th bar loss. Regardless, it was an "investment protection" to file for the warranty claims when it eventually happens to me.

Similarly, with my new replacement battery, I will do the same; perform the silly annual battery checks and hope I don't lose too many bars after 5 years, now I have the lizard battery replacement.

setof4 said:
MXP, may I ask which dealer are you working with to receive out-of-warranty replacements? Thanks.

I cannot see how the owner of a 2011 Leaf can complain that he did not get a 30KW battery in an 80/20 warrantee replacement.

You should thank your luck stars that you have an original Leaf that got another 24KW battery. That CAR has been well used.

Now, your car has an almost free lease on life for another 6-8 years, making the cost of maintaining that car for over a decade pretty much FREE.... I would love that deal.

2012 SL (build date 12/17/2012) lost the 4th bar in mid February with 38,000. Lease return bought from Mannheim in LA in NOvember 2015 with 32,300 and 10 bars showing. Went to 9 bars during the summer last year. Car lived in LA and now in Albuquerque.

Melloy Nissan evaluated it yesterday and Chris, myservice advisor, tells me I am eligible for the warranty battery replacement. Will take 4-6 weeks to get here. I expect to receive a new 24w 'Lizard' battery. From everything I've read here in MyNissanLeaf, the 30w is not backward compatible to 2012. I'll post the battery details once its installed.

I took the gamble on this car after a lot of research. Through an independent dealer friend I was able to search the auctions for lease returns. I looked for cars with 10 bars showing (or less) and with build dates as late as possible. This car was in excellent shape and I paid just under $10k. I will now have a 5 year old car with a new battery that will be good for another 5 years by which time I expect there to be a lot of great choices on EV with great range and great prices. With almost no maintenance costs this is the best car for the bucks I've ever owned.

All I've spent on the car has been for a new set of tires (there were new tires on it but they were way off brand) so I upgraded. I just coughed up the $199 for the upgrade on the CarWings...it is a BIG disappointment. Worked for a week or so after two tries at installing but now is functioning at 35%. Sends me emails when it starts and finishes charging. Sometime it lets me know when I'm parked where it can becharged (my house). I cannot get info on the battery state of charge from my owners page on the web, but I can get to the page with my usage, ranking stats, etc. The app on my Droid cannot access successfully the state of charge page or any page!. I signed up to receive text messages when I re-installed after the upgrade but that hasn't worked at all. When I take the car in for the battery upgrade I'm going to have them work on this problem. Other then this, it's been a great car for my in-town driving needs.

Ed

powersurge and Coronado: Battery capacity is measured in kWh, NOT kw or KW or whatever.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=417386#p417386 for more on this.

Back