Order of unplugging L1 charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadman

I am new to the leaf, just purchased a used 2013 SL. If I need to disconnect the EVSE plug from the car while it is still charging is it OK to simply pull the plug from the car? Or is it better to press the Charge Timer so charging stops and then disconnect the plug from the car? I tried searching this but couldn't find it, sorry if it's answered already on this site.

You can unplug the car at the charging handle at anytime, even if it's still in progress. The handle and EVSE and the car are engineered for that. No need to mess with the timer. I'm pretty sure the Charge Timer (override) button on the left hand side of the dash only initiates charging if it's outside the Timer's settings, but doesn't interrupt charging at all.

Where you might run into a problem is if you use the handle lock on the 2013+ models. If it's set to lock regardless of charging status, or set to unlock only after charging is done, you'll need to unlock it manually before you can pull the handle out.

Also if you're using a portable EVSE (like the one that came with the car), always disconnect the EVSE from the car before unplugging the EVSE from the outlet.

Thank you! One time my breaker tripped while charging the car (was using a hair dryer on the same outlet which isn't too bright) so I unplugged the charge handle then reset the breaker, plugged in the EVSE to the wall, then re-plugged the handle back into the vehicle. It seems so be OK and work but that's the last time I ever use a hair dryer on the same outlet.

Think of the EVSE as a hair dryer set on Medium (1500 watts) when looking at what's on a circuit. It's actually 1200, but you can only use 80% of the full available capacity continuously, for safety reasons.

jadman said:
Thank you! One time my breaker tripped while charging the car (was using a hair dryer on the same outlet which isn't too bright) so I unplugged the charge handle then reset the breaker, plugged in the EVSE to the wall, then re-plugged the handle back into the vehicle. It seems so be OK and work but that's the last time I ever use a hair dryer on the same outlet.

Yes make absolutely sure there are no other loads on the circuit, particularly heavy ones like any appliances that heat (such hair dryers and of course space heaters). If the outlet is loose/worn, replace it. Also monitor the outlet for a while to see if it gets unduly hot while charging; if so unplug the charging handle immediately, cut power to the outlet, unplug the EVSE if you can, and have an electrician look at it.

jadman said:

I had the exact same thing happen on my 1st night of charging. The simple solution was to use the charge timer to stop charging before my wife started getting ready for work (which is also conveniently about when off peak electrical rates end). In end, i put in a 240 outlet so that I could use the L2 charger whenever I wanted to though...

I did check the outlet, stay's cool so no issues as long as I don't use the hair dryer on the same plug.

when my SOC reads 56% with an average of 4.3 miles/Kwh my range shows 50 miles. If I calculate the range I get 57 miles. Does this tell me anything about my battery condition? Dash is showing 12 bars still on my 2013 leaf with 39,000 miles.

Back