What are the options for me to upgrade my 110V to 220V charging cable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy993

Hi all,
Just joined and recently, this week, picked up a 13 SV with 12k miles.
Looking for the options of upgrading my charging cable to 220v without having to send off mine and pay $300. Didn't know if someone had a DIY out there somewhere along with a parts list. I have a dedicated 30A, 220v line available.
Thanks in advance,Randy

There is a thread which should be on the first if not second page of the EVSE forum here on MNL. The good news is it only costs something like $25 to do, the bad news is I believe it maxes out at 12a @ 240v, far less than your circuit and also what your car can use. I guess it might be something to do but personally I'd either pay the $300 for Phil's upgrade, which will give you 20a @ 240v or purchase a dedicated 30a EVSE which will give you the maximum your Leaf can charge at. Well actually with a 30a circuit your limit would be 24a but several EVSEs let you dial down the charging current, if you like DIY then maybe a Opensource EVSE would be the way to go.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6546

The Ebusbar portable level 2 charger is available thru Amazon for $299.

https://www.amazon.com/Ebusbar-BEV-H02A10-Charger-Level-Volt/dp/B00TPSP760/ref=pd_lpo_263_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B03BWF777S21HF8AN2A0

Dooglas said:
The Ebusbar portable level 2 charger is available thru Amazon for $299.

https://www.amazon.com/Ebusbar-BEV-H02A10-Charger-Level-Volt/dp/B00TPSP760/ref=pd_lpo_263_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B03BWF777S21HF8AN2A0
While thats a good idea for someone with a 3.6kw Leaf, like my '12 SL which I use the Ebusbar with, IMO it's not that great of a deal for someone with a 6.6kw Leaf, especially for someone with a pre '15 Leaf that can get their factory EVSE upgraded by EVSEupgrade for $300 and have it work up to 20a, of course it's up to the OP but thats how I'd look at it.

VitaminJ said:
I upgraded my stock EVSE and use it at work while I have a L2 at home. I can modify Nissan EVSEs for under $100 FYI.
Just curious, what is it's maximum output amps? your upgraded EVSE.

Go-Cable

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/Go-Cable-is-THE-240V-20-Amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-GC20.htm

$299 from Quick Charge Power

Go-Cable(tm) is the super flexible and super lightweight low cost 240 volt / 20 amp portable charge cable (EVSE) for your EV sold in North America or Japan.

Full 25 foot cable length !!!

Requires a 208- 240 volt wall outlet, with a minimum 20 amp circuit.

Provides up to 3.8kW of power to your EV.

Equipped with NEMA L6-20P wall plug.

Optional adaptors for $29 each:

NEMA 14-50P (RV parks... this is the home outlet recommended by Tesla)

NEMA 10-30P (older dyers)

NOTE: the NEMA 14-50P can be modified to be safely used with NEMA 14-20P or NEMA 14-30P (newer dryers) by removing the neutral pin. Any qualified electrician can do this.

Other popular plugs available via special order.

image_14.jpeg

$349 including shipping up to 7.6kw:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Level-2-Car-Charging-Station-32-Amp-240VAC-J1772-25-foot-Cable-EVSE/112146657140

Nice 25ft cord too.

I did the upgrade that jjeff mentioned. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948 I used a L14-20 extension cord and made adapters for NEMA 5-15, 10-30, and 14-50. At home it plugs directly in to an L14-20 outlet and can charge my 15 Leaf overnight even if I am down to LBW or VLBW. When traveling, I have used all 3 of my adapters. It works well for overnight charging, which is most of the charging you should need. I use plugshare to find suitable charging along the way for longer trips.

If you need a faster portable EVSE, I would buy one that supports higher amperage rather than do the $300 evseupgrade path that does not increase your amps available much.

BillHolz said:
I did the upgrade that jjeff mentioned. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948 I used a L14-20 extension cord and made adapters for NEMA 5-15, 10-30, and 14-50.
I'm assuming that this is the mod that changes the EVSE to be a 120V/240V device that feeds the electronics with 120V (as designed), but feeds the contactor with 240V.

If so, it's not kosher to use the modified EVSE on a NEMA 10- style receptacle. The modified EVSE now requires both a neutral and ground, which should be separate, while the NEMA 10- style receptacle provides only a neutral, no ground. That's a downside to this mod.

Cheers, Wayne

The Tony Williams modified Tesla UMC with the addition of a J1772, called a Jesla, is pretty much the "slam dunk" best choice. It costs more but wow! What a pleasure to own and use!

gene said:
The Tony Williams modified Tesla UMC with the addition of a J1772, called a Jesla, is pretty much the "slam dunk" best choice. It costs more but wow! What a pleasure to own and use!

Tony's modified Tesla EVSE is great but it is around a thousand dollars. In my broke opinion it is just for the high rollers. Clipper Creek is favored here and it is much cheaper.

As I under stand it Tony buys the EVSE from Tesla at retail and then puts on a J1772 plug. He is entitled to a profit for doing this but it makes for an expensive product.

wwhitney said:
BillHolz said:
I did the upgrade that jjeff mentioned. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948 I used a L14-20 extension cord and made adapters for NEMA 5-15, 10-30, and 14-50.
I'm assuming that this is the mod that changes the EVSE to be a 120V/240V device that feeds the electronics with 120V (as designed), but feeds the contactor with 240V.

If so, it's not kosher to use the modified EVSE on a NEMA 10- style receptacle. The modified EVSE now requires both a neutral and ground, which should be separate, while the NEMA 10- style receptacle provides only a neutral, no ground. That's a downside to this mod.

Cheers, Wayne
For what it's worth I use my modified Nissan EVSE every day at work and all we have here is 10-30 plugs for 240v. It might not be kosher but it works just fine. The neutral and ground are joined in the adapter cable I made.

VitaminJ said:
wwhitney said:
BillHolz said:

Cheers, Wayne
For what it's worth I use my modified Nissan EVSE every day at work and all we have here is 10-30 plugs for 240v. It might not be kosher but it works just fine. The neutral and ground are joined in the adapter cable I made.

Which is also exactly what happens when you hook up a new dryer to an old 10-30 outlet using a 3 prong 10-30 plug. The dryer comes with 4 connections for L1, L2, N, G but the N and G are bonded together at the dryer with instructions to remove the jumper if you are installing a 4 wire 14-30 plug.

BillHolz said:
Which is also exactly what happens when you hook up a new dryer to an old 10-30 outlet using a 3 prong 10-30 plug. The dryer comes with 4 connections for L1, L2, N, G but the N and G are bonded together at the dryer with instructions to remove the jumper if you are installing a 4 wire 14-30 plug.
That's correct, and the National Electric Code (250.140) has a grounding exception for clothes dryers and ranges that allows this for legacy installations, those put in place before a grounding conductor was required at such receptacles. Some say it was a WWII era provision to save on copper. Any new installation of a dryer or range receptacle requires a 4-prong, NEMA 14 receptacle and will provide an extra margin of safety over a 3-prong, NEMA 10 receptacle installation.

There's no such exception for EVSEs. If an EVSE is turned into a 120V/240V device, it should have separate grounded (neutral) and grounding (EGC) conductors. EVSEs are not a place where it is a good idea to cut corners.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
There's no such exception for EVSEs. If an EVSE is turned into a 120V/240V device, it should have separate grounded (neutral) and grounding (EGC) conductors. EVSEs are not a place where it is a good idea to cut corners.
Wayne, are you saying that Ingineer's EVSEUpgrade products do not meet code since one of the legs is used EITHER for L2 OR neutral? To take the question a bit farther, does it meet NEC requirements when plugged into a NEMA L5-20, L5-30, L6-20 or L6-30 outlet? (I'm talking about without an adapter, just with the built-in pigtail.) Does it meet NEC requirements when plugged into a standard NEMA 5-15 (using an adapter to whatever locking plug is on the EVSE)? I'm guessing the former meets electrical codes while the later does not (for a couple of reasons), but I'm interested to hear your take. TIA!

RegGuheert said:
wwhitney said:
Wayne, are you saying that Ingineer's EVSEUpgrade products do not meet code since one of the legs is used EITHER for L2 OR neutral?
No, I'm saying nothing of the sort. I think the confusion is that when I said "120V/240V device" I meant a device that requires BOTH 120V and 240V, like most clothes dryers and ranges, and the "simple" mod Nissan EVSE. I would call the EVSEUpgrade a 120V or 240V device, it can work either with 120V only or with 240V only.

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. My main concern is with the NEMA 10-P (plug) to NEMA 14-R (receptacle) adapter, as it uses the incoming neutral for both outgoing EGC and neutral. That's not an allowed grounding arrangement, other than for legacy ranges and dryers.

A NEMA 10-P (2 hots and a neutral) to NEMA 6-R (2 hots and a ground) adapter, as for a typical 240V only EVSE, is a different story. It needs to be used with care, since it connects the incoming neutral to the outgoing EGC. In the case of a receptacle fed from a branch circuit originating at the service panel and having no other loads, I feel it is OK to use. The service panel is the location of the system neutral/ground bond, and in the service panel neutrals and grounds are often intermixed on a single terminal bar. In which case the only physical difference between the two is the insulation color, white versus bare or green.

However, if the branch circuit originates at a subpanel, or if it has other loads on it, the NEMA 10-P to NEMA 6-R adapter shouldn't be used.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up purchasing a level 2 charger from UCHEN Technologies. I didn't want to modify the factory cord and now I can choose to slow or L2 charge. Thanks again for the inputs.
Randy

Back