Battery heating

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbilshop

Anyone knows if the batteries are heated for use during winter time?
If there is, can they be preheated when connected to the grid so you may start with already heated batteries and use less of the power from the batteries during your trip?
And get better performance from the motor due to higher voltage.
The low temperature in the batteries will result in higher internal resistance, which results in a voltage drop until the temperature raises again (which will happen during a long trip).
But you will loose many Ah before things normalize...

In the current version, no. There is some question if that will be part of the cold package coming later this year. However, since the batteries are under the vehicle, it is questionable how much good preheating would do...

elbilshop said:
Anyone knows if the batteries are heated for use during winter time?
If there is, can they be preheated when connected to the grid so you may start with already heated batteries and use less of the power from the batteries during your trip?
And get better performance from the motor due to higher voltage.
The low temperature in the batteries will result in higher internal resistance, which results in a voltage drop until the temperature raises again (which will happen during a long trip).
But you will loose many Ah before things normalize...

mogur said:
In the current version, no. There is some question if that will be part of the cold package coming later this year. However, since the batteries are under the vehicle, it is questionable how much good preheating would do...

I thought they were going to settle for a thermal blanket, but I could be wrong.

With the icy mornings we've had recently here is "sunny California" (yes, vehicles outside completely covered with frost), I've been wishing for a battery preheat feature. Driving reports are suggesting a significant drop in capacity if the battery is cold, and my poor baby is going to have to spend its nights outside.

planet4ever said:
With the icy mornings we've had recently here is "sunny California" (yes, vehicles outside completely covered with frost),

Icy mornings in Silicon Valley??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It hasn't really even started to snow here yet :D

img00229201012301138.jpg

Back