Poll : The official "Did you Lease or Buy?" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you Buy or Lease ?

• Waiting...

Votes: 38 10.1%
  • Lease : Was going to buy but leased

Votes: 51 13.5%
  • Lease : Was going to lease and leased

Votes: 133 35.3%
  • Buy : Was going to lease but bought

Votes: 26 6.9%
  • Buy : Was going to buy and bought

Votes: 129 34.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Now that we have people taking delivery, it might be nice to find out what people eventually ended up doing. I was on and off the fence, in both directions, right up to the day I took delivery. I ended up buying, which was how I was leaning most of the time. But did anyone change their mind, particularly because the delivery delays make your car a 2011 aquisition vs. a 2010 one?

Mods, could we perhaps have a poll thusly:

Was going to buy and bought
Was going to lease and leased
Was going to buy but leased
Was going to lease but bought

I was gonna buy all the way until December 31st 2010 came and went without a Leaf. Now I am seriously considering a lease and probably will not make a final decision until I pick up my Leaf Monday afternoon. I just can't seem to get off that darn fence! I will certainly come back and cast my vote once I have the Leaf.

Was going to buy but leased. I've never leased before but since I took the car in 2011 and there's the whole question about how much the capacity will diminish in the battery, I decided to lease. Plus I don't think I would've gotten the whole $7500 back if I was also taking the EVSE credit for 2010. I went with the 3-year, 12,000 mile lease after considering the 4-year lease. I put $2000 down.

mwalsh said:
Oops. The poll just done disappeared when I corrected a grammar error in the title. Could we put it back? Sorry about that.
It really messes it up when I try to add back the poll. Had to delete & recreate.

I've got the "luxury" of waiting a year to make up my mind. My first preference is to buy; I've never leased before. But, I've never bought a new car before, either. I'm sure that, right now, Nissan is trying really hard to get things right, since so much of whether EVs succeed or fail is riding on impressions of initial drivers. Might be that some of the "shine" will have worn off by MY 2012. Of course, might be that Nissan will make significant improvements to MY 2012 based on what they learn this year. I guess I'm in the "I plan to buy" category.

Money factor was way too high for me to justify the 4 year lease, so I changed to a purchase. Plus I didn't want to be put in the position to sell or buy again in 3-4 years. So far, no regrets...LOVE THE CAR, and it's MINE!!

Hmmm, right now the Lease/Buy percentage is 50/50. In the industry, it is usually about 20/80, and dropped to 16/84 in 2009, due to low finance rates and incentives. It will be interesting to see if this higher percentage of leases for the Leaf persists as more people get cars, or even goes higher.

TT

My midwest dealer said minimum of Dec 2011 for deliveries in my area. I tend to purchase a car then drive it for as long as I can. Still running a '91 Mazda pickup and a '92 Camry I bought new and paid off many, many, many years ago.

Still, I anticipate battery technology exploding (OK, poor choice of words...) growing by leaps and bounds over the next 5 to 10 years. I therefore, plan to lease, then dump it in 3 years to upgrade to hopefully a significantly improved EV range car.

I have intended to buy all along but the car isn't due until April so I'm having way too much time think about this question. A previous poster mentioned the anticipated increases in battery technology. Plus the fact that Nissan decided to go with a dinky 3.3 kw on-board charger which will surely change to an industry standard 6.6 kw charger in Leaf 2.0. This all makes me think that the resale value on these original cars will be very low in just a few years. I'll let you know what I actually do when the time comes.

Thanks for reviving this thread, evnow. I had voted as "waiting" previously, but after months of reading about the battery pack, I have overcome my warranty fears and am going for the purchase option. My car isn't here yet, but I am changing my vote anyway. The extra cost of the lease doesn't make sense in our particular situation.

TT

It's interesting, but for almost the same reasons that ttweed mentioned I've been thinking about leasing (which I have never done before) instead of buying. I am more, not less, concerned about the battery warranty and I do think the resale of the first generation Leaf will be less than next. (This has happened with the Prius. We still have both first and second generation Prius, and I like driving the first generation better, but it isn't worth as much - adjusting for age.)

However, being a "month of May" Leaf owner I will probably have a while to think about it. :roll:

Warren

I am doing a 3 year lease with an option to purchase at the end. This is the same terms as I did with my Rav4 EV in 2002. The idea being that I would trade in the car at the end of the lease for a newer EV. As it turned out in 2005 there was nothing better than the Rav4 EV so I purchased the car. Will be selling it in a month or so. I picked up my Leaf yesterday, April 23, from Santa Cruz Nissan.
George

AmarilloLeaf said:
When I place my vote, all I get is "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

+1

I seem to be getting that on all the poll forms at the moment.

We planned to buy and we bought. I've never leased a car as we keep our cars 10 years plus. We took delivery May 8th. The car priced out at just over $38k with tax, license, destination, etc. Dealer gave us a $500 gift card credit which we used to buy the accessories like the matts, bumper guard, trunk matt, etc. We still have a couple of hundred left on it. We put $3400 down, and got an interest rate of 3.9% from the dealer as a match to what we could get from our credit union. Payments are just over $600 a month, but I'm saving $200+ a month in gas. We also received the $7500 Fed Tax credit, and a check fro $5,000 from the state of CA.

kenwallace said:
We also received the $7500 Fed Tax credit,
What do you mean by that? Surely you won't get that credit until next year unless the dealer somehow threw in a one-year loan for it, or something similar. Or are you just saying that you can see from your finances that you will be able to qualify for it on your 2011 income tax form? Or that you reduced withholding to take it out between now and the end of the year?

Ray

kenwallace said:
We planned to buy and we bought. I've never leased a car as we keep our cars 10 years plus. We took delivery May 8th. The car priced out at just over $38k with tax, license, destination, etc........We also received the $7500 Fed Tax credit....

Bought for the same reason for the same price. We like to drive them till the wheels fall off and then drive them some more. The Leaf covers 90% of our driving and the diesel Jeep covers the rest.

Would love to know what you mean by "We also received the $7500 Fed Tax credit" as I thought filing taxes was required, which I won't be doing for 2011 until 2012.

mgoleta said:
AmarilloLeaf said:
When I place my vote, all I get is "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

+1

I seem to be getting that on all the poll forms at the moment.

+2

same for me, on all polls... can't vote, just: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

We planned to buy and we bought. We did hem and haw a bit then I started thinking about just how much of a difference Li-ion has made for all our gadgets, power tools, weed whacker etc and I have accepted that this newish battery style is a new animal all together, one I have a fair amount of confidence in. Our iphones are going strong after 3.5 years of daily charging to 100%.

We will probably sell and upgrade sooner than later if a 200+ mile battery pack becomes available, though I'm pleasantly surprised with how far the battery goes with opportunity charging here and there, it covers the vast majority of our needs. With a few L3's along the highway and L2's sprinkled in convenient places, I suspect we will all stop thinking in terms of absolute range even with the current battery pack.

I remember reading something about getting a car cover for the Leaf and thinking, I need to get a car cover, but for our highlander instead, it's just sitting there hardly getting used since we got our Leaf!

g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back