Anyone skipped battery test but still got replacement under warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forummm

Just wondering if anyone has skipped one or more of their annual battery tests but still had Nissan honor the battery warranty. Are they really necessary?

Look around there is plenty of discussion on this. I didn't have all the battery checks and have qualified for 2 free replacement batteries on respective cars under the capacity warranty. Some have won some (out of warranty) battery replacements, and battery checks were integral in winning their case for free or discounted replacement. Also, it seems that a defective battery replacement warranty, not capacity warranty, MAY also look at having all battery checks to qualify. I personally wouldn't do it. Some others would disagree...

I just asked an independant dealer who has been getting off lease cars with batteries on the cuspice of failing and so far every buyer has gotten a replacement battery with no fuss even after over a year of ownership with no annual inspections. Maybe here in Florida Nissan just accepts that they are going to have them fail from the heat. He is beginning the think the best buys out there are 2011/2012 Leafs on the verge of battery failure.

I didn't bother with the most recent battery check. It seemed like an unnecessary hassle, as we're 20+ miles away from the nearest Nissan dealer. We're still covered by the 100K mile / 8 year battery warranty (not the capacity warranty), but my understanding (I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth...) is that Nissan could only legally deny a claim if it could be demonstrated that our failure to have the tests done caused a failure that wouldn't have otherwise occurred.

You personally wouldn't get the checks? Or wouldn't skip them?

I was equally confused...

I'm interested to see the possible effects on the defective battery warranty. I'm curious what qualifies as a "qualified repair shop" for the battery usage reports according to the warranty? I vote for leafspy...

Not only did I not do the battery tests but I neglected all maintenance. In the 3 years the only thing that I've done to this car is replace the tires, and fill the windshield solvent.

If anyone was going to get their warranty voided it would have been me.

At the end there were days I was hitting quick chargers 8 times a day. My average daily commute involved 2 quick charges minimum. I was breaking literally every single rule that they have in their book and they still replaced it. I had no alternative. I was worried they would go through the cars "black box" and see how I had been treating it and deny me. NOPE!!!! Never even questioned it.

FYI: Since the battery replacement even @ 80% charge I haven't had to use a quick charger since. I'm going to baby this battery since its my "forever battery" and I'm unlikely to ever get another free replacement.

I took my used Leaf in for a brake reprogramming issue and asked about this since my battery had just dropped to 9 bars. I wanted to make sure I was all set for the replacement when I dropped another bar. The Nissan service ice rep said they could run a report but would need to charge me for it and it wouldn't tell me anything or make a difference on the warranty replacement. I appreciated the honesty (if he's right). I just dropped that bar so I'll be calling him up and testing his claim out soon.

I'm not going to do the battery checks. Maybe unwise, but that's where I stand. My 2012 is at 11 bars, so doubt I'd qualify for a replacement anyway.

Back