Used 2012 Leaf - Rear Ended Yesterday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyrTwister

Wife & our Leaf rear ended yesterday . Other guy got the ticket . Starting the insurance process . No Idea if it will be totaled ?

If it is totaled & depending on how well the other guy's insurance pays off , considering options .

List of improvements that I would like ;

A - Heat pump

B - Larger battery with longer warranty

C - 6.6 KW charger

D - Maybe more that do not come to mind at the moment .

How new of model of Leaf would I have to get and / or which model ?

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

May need to wait a year before I take the plunge , again ?

I have a 40 amp EVSE , so I should be OK for the 6.6 KW charger .

WyrTwister said:
Wife & our Leaf rear ended yesterday . Other guy got the ticket . Starting the insurance process . No Idea if it will be totaled ?
That is so very awful! And so soon after becoming an owner, too! Please say your wife is OK!

WyrTwister said:
considering options . List of improvements that I would like ;

A - Heat pump
B - Larger battery with longer warranty
C - 6.6 KW charger
D - Maybe more that do not come to mind at the moment .

How new of model of Leaf would I have to get and / or which model ?
A : Any SL or SV trim model 2013 or newer
B: Any SL or SV trim model 2016 or newer for larger battery. Dunno about the longer warranty except for the obvious "newer cars have used less of the same size warranty"
C : Same as B, I think, except possibly available on S trim with quick-charge package

Wife , Daughter & Son in Law are OK . Thank you for asking . :)

So , 2013 to get heat pump ? 2016 model to get the 30 kwh battery . Price wise , do not see myself going there . Unless I wait a year for the price on 2016models to come down .

Some info indicates 2014 model SV & SL come with the 6.6 kw charger ?

Anyone know if Nissan has plans for a 200 + mile Leaf ?

Wyr
God bless

You can get the hardware features you want with a 2013 and newer SV or SL, but if you want a longer warranty, look into leasing a 2016 SV. The residuals are low, so if you can afford to lease one (and they are on clearance now, and un-optioned SVs are often heavily discounted)) you can probably afford to buy it when the lease ends. Failing that, look for a 2015 or 2014 SV or SL, so you get a bumper to bumper warranty.

LeftieBiker said:
You can get the hardware features you want with a 2013 and newer SV or SL, but if you want a longer warranty, look into leasing a 2016 SV. The residuals are low, so if you can afford to lease one (and they are on clearance now, and un-optioned SVs are often heavily discounted)) you can probably afford to buy it when the lease ends. Failing that, look for a 2015 or 2014 SV or SL, so you get a bumper to bumper warranty.
Wyr
God bless

240 mile range of a Chevy Bolt if you can wait a month or two. 2017 Leaf might have 40KWh battery if you believe the rumors.

I suspect the 2017 Bolt will be way out of my price range ( especially when it first hits the market ) , unless Chevy offers some fantastic leases .

I also expect the 2017 or 2018 LEAF WILL have a larger than 30 kwh battery . They will be under a LOT of pressure to join the 200 + mile club .

But , if the other guy's insurance company does not total the car , it will get repaired & this becomes a moot point .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

P S Wowever , the 30 kwh battery , I think , only gets the Leaf to 100 - 125 miles ?

30kwh 2016 gets to 100 miles nicely, and can do more with careful driving.

I find the difference astounding compared to my 2012 with 77% left. I am experimenting with charging the 16 1.5 hour a day (so I don't even bother to keep the battery fully charged, ever.) That gets me over 40 miles which is my usual driving for a day. But if I need more, I hit the override button and juice up. Since the charger is faster than the 2012, you can afford to keep the battery at 50-70%......

Everyone is hooked on the 200 mile range. I am not sure its needed. Yes, the 24kwh Leaf, especially the faster degrading 2011 -2013 versions, were just too small.. Charging to 80% further limits them. You will not touch any Bolt or Tesla for under $37500. You pay sales tax on that number. You pay property tax on that number. I got my 2016 SV Leaf for $26000. After rebate $18500. Versus $30000 for a Tesla 3 or Bolt. But I cannot buy them now. I can buy a 30kwh leaf NOW. And its sooo much better than the 2012......

Wyr - In your case its probably time to consult an attorney to ensure the other guy fills the gap and pays up since it was his negligence that caused the crash. If your wife was at fault then with no gap coverage you would have a problem.

Just because the other guys insurance low balls you with their first offer that does not mean you have to just roll over and take it. If the other driver still lives with his parents, in many States, then the parents can be held responsible to pay the difference even if their child is a full grown adult, owns the car personally and has their own separate insurance policy.

Some insurers may go so far as to pressure you to have the car repaired by their shop instead of a reputable shop known to you so watch out for that too.

A reputable attorney who practices in you community will be best able to advise you how to ensure the responsible party/parties and/or his/their insurer fully covers your losses regardless of whether his insurance totals the car or repairs it. Your attorneys fee and court costs should be paid by the other guy and his insurance company.

Regards,

Rocky

The other guy's insurance is proceeding , but slowly .

Thanks for the advice . :)

We will see what we will see .........

God bless
Wyr

PS My Wife said after the accident , the car would not go . Hit in the rear . Is there a " kill sensor " that would be keeping the car from going ?

http://s719.photobucket.com/user/WyrTwister/media/2012%20Nissan%20Leaf%20Rear%20Colission_zps45uavccg.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Sorry to hear about the accident. I would not be surprised if they total it, I've seen a fiat 500e in a small front end accident, and looked like far less damage, it was totaled. Hope you and your wife didn't get hurt in the accident.

Quick update . Received a call from the other party's insurance . They are going to total our 2012 Nissan Leaf .

Do not have any more details , yet .

Do not know if we are going to replace it or wait a while ?

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Quick update . Received a call from the other party's insurance . They are going to total our 2012 Nissan Leaf .

Do not have any more details , yet .

Do not know if we are going to replace it or wait a while ?

God bless
Wyr

I wish you well and hope they offer you a fair settlement. I had to argue with the adjuster from the other driver's insurance company via phone, email, and in writing back and forth for over a month attempting to get reimbursement for my expenses and a reasonable price for the car (which was in like-new condition before the crash and had a relatively new battery). I was not able to convince them to reimburse my expenses, but did get a few thousand dollars more than the initial offer for the car. Their software had no way to account for the new battery so they listed it as a new engine.

Gerry

Back