LEAF Over 50,000 Miles in Colorado

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mog404

Our 2012 LEAF is still serving us well as a commuter appliance. Lost its first bar at 42,000 miles, but no appreciable change in the range. Was never fond of the styling, but has been economical and fun to drive. No special treatment and we charge to 100%. The vehicle has been maintenance free. All we have done is replace the factory tires.

The commute is 50 miles round trip at 75mph speed limit . Drains the battery battery quickly when temps are in the single-digits, but not bad above 40F. I have a small lap blanket to minimize use of heater, and I sometimes need to drive under 60mph, to extend range on cold days.

Biggest frustration is that we can't always drive it due to limited range and lack of charging options. EVGo https://www.nrgevgo.com CHAdeMO stations are now available at several locations in our vicinity (Denver-Castle Rock,-Monument-Colorado Springs), so that is a good start.

Best small thing is the heated steering-wheel. Worst small thing is the digital speedometer.

Looking forward to the next generation of EVs. Will probably upgrade when there is an affordable AWD with 200+ mile range.

Piggy-backing on your post, I just went over 30,000 miles on my 2013 Leaf. I live in Colorado and have yet to lose a bar. Zero maintenance other than rotating the tires, which I will replace prior to this winter. There has been a small, but noticeable loss in range. Not an issue as my commute is 34 miles round trip. I trickle charge every night to 80% and keep the Leaf in the garage. I'm averaging 4.9 miles per kWh. My commute is roughly half interstate and half stop and go.

I bought instead of leasing because I didn't care about subsequent increases in range. We have a minivan for road trips and longer drives. My plan is long term ownership that results in a cost of ownership (price of EV minus EV savings) of $1,000/yr. I bought an S model with the quick charge pack. After the full federal credit, CO state tax credit, and Nissan friend and family discount, I was out the door for about $19,000. I figure I've saved about $700/yr in foregone comparable ICE gas/maintenance cost so far. This is less than I expected due to cheaper than expected gas prices. Still, after almost 3.5 years of ownership, my EV cost minus EV savings number is roughly $16,500. Assuming an average saving of $800/yr going forward, I will reach my goal of $1,000/yr (distributed ownership cost) in another 7.5 years (11 years total).

I'm also figuring on one battery replacement around year 8 for roughly $4,000, but this will be negated by selling the car at year 12 for roughly that amount.

This is all rough napkin math with some assumptions built in of course. Bottom line, I'm on track with my original goal for long-term ownership, achieving my environmental objective (driving a car powered by the sun), and saving money over owning a comparable ICE car.

What I love about the car:
Fun to drive, quiet, quick smooth acceleration
Great head room for smaller car (I'm 6'4").
Decent size back seat (fit three kids and car seats across the back row)
Low maintenance
No gas stations
No oil changes
Seat and steering wheel heaters
Handles well in snow
Fun bells and whistles

Complaints:
Poorly designed washer fluid nozzles for front windshield
Wimpy horn
How running the heater really sucks the range on really cold days
Lack of glow in the dark or other lighting for power lock and window buttons on door, which makes them hard to find in the dark
Wimpy window defroster

Overall, I gladly recommend the car to friends as a daily commuter car. If I had to do it all over again, I would. Its been a fun, reliable car to drive.

Both posters above mentioned "zero maintenance" despite being above 30K. The 2015 manual states that brake fluid must be changed after each 15K unless you drive "only" on highway "in temperate conditions," in which case it is after each 30K. I am not sure whether Colorado is considered "temperate conditions," but it appears at least once brake fluid change should have been done anyway.

Back