Will battery be fixed or replaced by the 2013 capacity warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amund

At the original capacity warranty, Nissan promised just to fix batteries, and replace cells, to keep the capacity over 70%

For the 2011 and 2012, they made a change, and promised not to fix old batteries, but instead replace them with new batteries of the newest technology.

How is the 2013 capacity warranty working? Will the batteries be fixed or replaced when they are below 70%?

Very few 2013 packs have reached 8 bars, so there is little info. I do think that they would use new 2015 type packs for anything other than one or two bad cells. The 2013 Leafs most likely to qualify for replacement would be the ones built January through March of 2013.

Nissan doesn't have enough "old" battery packs laying around to do anything but replace with a "lizard" pack. The only question (by 2018) will be: do you get a 24 kWh or 30 kWh pack.

My 2013 was built in Feb'13, and purchased March '13. The battery is now at 8 bars and 41k miles. The new lizard pack is on order, and expected here this week. Driven daily in Houston, TX (hot). My idea is to continue to operate the original battery in this summer heat and install the new one next month. It's sure to arrive by then.

RePo said:
My 2013 was built in Feb'13, and purchased March '13. The battery is now at 8 bars and 41k miles. The new lizard pack is on order, and expected here this week. Driven daily in Houston, TX (hot). My idea is to continue to operate the original battery in this summer heat and install the new one next month. It's sure to arrive by then.

Another "Canary Pack" owner! If you get the chance, take a picture of the old pack when it's out of the car. We still have no idea why the packs from the first three months of 2013 degrade like the previous model year packs, instead of like those built afterwards. The 2013+ pack supposedly looks different from the earlier ones, and I'm wondering if yours will or not. Maybe you could offer a Nissan Tech a 12 pack of his favorite beer to do it? I'd reimburse you.

RePo said:

Do you know the date of the 4th bar dropping?

| Houston, TX
| 42 months
| 2/13
| '''2013 model year'''

Do we know for sure that the 2013 battery warranty is 6 years 60000 miles 8 bars? Can I call Nissan with the VIN and verify that the battey will be replaced?

camasleaf said:
Do we know for sure that the 2013 battery warranty is 6 years 60000 miles 8 bars? Can I call Nissan with the VIN and verify that the battey will be replaced?

If it is like the warranty Nissan added for 2011 and 2012 before the class action lawsuit was announced or the warranty that came with 2015, then the capacity warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) and applies when capacity drops to 8 bars. The defect warranty is 8 years or 100,000 on both 2011 and 2015 so I suspect 2013 is the same. There is nothing precluding them from just replacing defective modules or using used modules, but we have no indication that Nissan has installed used modules in any customer cars in the USA yet.

I'm guess I'm one of the few that won the reverse lottery...a 2013 with 8 bars...the 4th dropped 2 months after the 5 yr limit. Sounds like no one has been successful in getting any discount for replacement. Other than that the vehicle still works great.

jdcbomb said:
I'm guess I'm one of the few that won the reverse lottery...a 2013 with 8 bars...the 4th dropped 2 months after the 5 yr limit. Sounds like no one has been successful in getting any discount for replacement. Other than that the vehicle still works great.
The 5 year clock starts from when the car was first put into service, not date of manufacturer.

Judging by your sig, you may just slip under the warranty date.

Those of you indicating a 4th bar loss on a '13 Leaf occurring just before the end of the 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty need to take the vehicle into a Nissan dealer ASAP. Don't expect Nissan to take your word on when the 4th bar dropped. It needs to be confirmed by a dealer.

SageBrush said:
jdcbomb said:
The 5 year clock starts from when the car was first put into service, not date of manufacturer.

That's the problem. It happened in May 2018, when the original in service date was February 2013. Zero discount / financial assistance.

jdcbomb said:
SageBrush said:
jdcbomb said:

That's the problem. It happened in May 2018, when the original in service date was February 2013. Zero discount / financial assistance.
I'm off by a year. Sorry about that.

Back