Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncscenic

As our Leaf quickly approaches bar 8 out of warranty, we're interested in replacing our battery in our 2011 Leaf in the next few months and thought we would look into Nissan's Battery Replacement Program as to be prepared as it were.

After a few phone calls to Nissan's EV Customer Service Group and a visit with our service manager at the local dealership we found out that Nissan will finance the battery replacement through NMAC, but the maximum allocation is $5,500. Our dealership estimated the total cost at $6,400 or so; hence, we're looking at a "down payment" of 900 or so and some change and then payments of roughly $100 for 60 months.

We like the car a lot and find it to be a game changer in the automotive world, however, why would we lay out a grand or so when we could easily parley that same "down payment" into a new LEAF? I get that we'll have a "new car" in many respects after the battery is replaced, however, with the BOLT coming out and the new VOLT just sort of wonder what Nissan was thinking. The financing does not cover the total cost of replacement, so I don't see a lot of folks doing this. Seems to me, though, that this is precisely what the car is about in many ways, recycling, re using, etc

The other question is-- at one hundred dollars a month for 60 months, do we really want to be driving a car around for 10 years?

The first questions I would ask myself is "Do I really need a new battery? Or can I continue to use the car with less range between charges." As the battery technology is greatly changing and who knows what next year my offer. A third party battery? More KWh battery? Better heat resistance?

It is questionable as to whether worth it to plunk down that type of $ given my comments at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=435921#p435921 and beyond. And, there's the wholesale value of '11 Leafs at auctions: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=462635#p462635.

Darryl said:
The first questions I would ask myself is "Do I really need a new battery? Or can I continue to use the car with less range between charges." As the battery technology is greatly changing and who knows what next year my offer. A third party battery? More KWh battery? Better heat resistance?

After market battery packs for these cars are not going to be in the market for quite some time....in fact they may never come out...considering there wouldn't be a big market for them...since we are only talking 100,000 total leafs sold so far in the US..

As for the OP's question....I would suggest to ask yourself..what are your alternatives?

1. Is the current range simply unlivable?
2. If so, what would you drive as a replacement car (fuel/maintenance costs)
3. How many miles of driving you do in a month?
4. What is the current residual value in this car?
5. What would be the cost to upgrade to a new Leaf?
6. How much money in fuel/maintenance you would have saved so far?
7. Factor in differential cost of car insurance if you were to upgrade to a newer leaf..

After you put all these numbers down, you need to do a self evaluation whether buying 60 more months at $100/month is the best option in your situation or not?

In many situations (in my case, I need 18,000 commute miles/year and 100 miles of range/charge/day) the $100/month for a replacement battery is not a bad deal at all..as against getting into a brand new replacement car just to avoid the battery replacement cost on the older car.

Don't forget that to include the yearly cost for registration and insurance on a 2011 vs a 2016. That is a significant difference, at least in California.

If you were to buy a small car that gets 30 mpg, you would be paying about 80/mo to go 1000 mi. Add in the fact that you have more maintenance costs with a conventional car, and you are probably equal or paying less, to drive the Leaf with a new battery. If you factor in the cost of a new car, obviously, you are better off with the Leaf. However, most people do not just make a decision based on practical realities, or no one would ever buy a new car. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what you are willing to pay to keep a lower cost option on the road, and if you are willing to drive an "older" car. Also, as others mentioned, just because you are at 8 bars doesn't mean the battery needs replaced, if it still fulfills your needs.

All good comments. Thanks for the help.

I guess, I was initially a bit surprised that Nissan's financing of the battery only covers that cost, not the installation, tax or new parts for the '11 and '12 Leaf.

ncscenic said:
After a few phone calls to Nissan's EV Customer Service Group and a visit with our service manager at the local dealership we found out that Nissan will finance the battery replacement through NMAC, but the maximum allocation is $5,500. Our dealership estimated the total cost at $6,400 or so; hence, we're looking at a "down payment" of 900 or so and some change and then payments of roughly $100 for 60 months.

This part sticks out for the price of a new pack, I thought customers were suppose to get a $1,000 credit for the exchange of the old battery to take that cost down to the $5500 range? So it looks like the Dealership is pocketing the $1,000 credit. Does it really cost $1,000 for the dealership to drop the old battery, lift the new battery up and connect it? It's not like the car has to be taken apart with special tools?

ncscenic said:
We like the car a lot and find it to be a game changer in the automotive world, however, why would we lay out a grand or so when we could easily parley that same "down payment" into a new LEAF? I get that we'll have a "new car" in many respects after the battery is replaced, however, with the BOLT coming out and the new VOLT just sort of wonder what Nissan was thinking. The financing does not cover the total cost of replacement, so I don't see a lot of folks doing this. Seems to me, though, that this is precisely what the car is about in many ways, recycling, re using, etc

The other question is-- at one hundred dollars a month for 60 months, do we really want to be driving a car around for 10 years?
Second part, wanted to make this reply separate. If the vehicle has been working fine all these years, it's actually amazing to me (I work on cars a lot) that you are only going to worry about a battery replacement. By 6 years, even new cars have gone through a lot of maintenance that will nickel and dime you to death. I know people that spend more than $6k on maintenance on brand new vehicles after 6 years and still worry about "what is going to need replacement next" all the time as their vehicle ages.

I see the glass as half-full on this one. If you get the new battery pack, you get the latest battery technology, better heat tolerance, more top end capacity, etc. It will be like getting another new vehicle but it's one that you already know how to use with all it's quirks. You won't worry about engine parts going out, belts and pumps and other mechanical parts that wear out, O2 sensors going bad, bad gas at the pump destroying your engine, etc. When you work on your own cars all the time instead of taking them to a shop, you notice how little to nothing needs to be done for the Leaf.

My advice, if the vehicle works for you and the only thing wrong is an old battery, upgrade to the latest technology and enjoy it again for another 6 years. :D

TimLee said:
knightmb said:
... I thought customers were suppose to get a $1,000 credit for the exchange of the old battery to take that cost down to the $5500 range? ...
No. Incorrect.

Some people in discussing Nissan's pricing of the battery speculated that the old battery might be worth $1,000.
But Nissan's battery price never included any credit for the old battery.
But you cannot buy a new one unless you trade in an old one.
I thought you could buy a new one, but at full price ($6,500) if you did not trade in the old one?

knightmb said:
TimLee said:
knightmb said:
... I thought customers were suppose to get a $1,000 credit for the exchange of the old battery to take that cost down to the $5500 range? ...
No. Incorrect.

Some people in discussing Nissan's pricing of the battery speculated that the old battery might be worth $1,000.
But Nissan's battery price never included any credit for the old battery.
But you cannot buy a new one unless you trade in an old one.
I thought you could buy a new one, but at full price ($6,500) if you did not trade in the old one?

NO: Nissan doesn't want folks buying (new) battery packs and building their own EVs. They want to sell cars (with battery packs in them).

Interesting thread -- our '12 (bought at the end of '11) has 'only' lost its first bar at about 41K miles so we aren't there yet and won't be before the end of this year when the 'free' battery replacement warranty runs out -- my daily work commute is 30 miles R/T so even at a significantly reduced capacity it still should work (except for REALLY cold temps) for us. One aspect not discussed is what 'value' does having a new battery 'add' to the resale (or replacement) value of the car? Whatever that amount is; you would not get the full $6,500 (or whatever it actually costs you) added to its auction or trade-in value so you have to consider that aspect as well --- as our LEAF has always been just simply a decent commuter for M-F duties and errands on the weekend, it will be interesting to see how linear the battery capacity loss is and if it will last me (at least) until my Model 3 becomes available in the Midwest. We also have to contend with the body deteriorating out here in the rust belt unlike many other places where LEAF's are sold ...

Hello,
We plan to replace our 2011 battery when it comes due BUT I am out of the ordinary in auto ownership. I still have the first car I bought back in high school and keep all our cars running no matter what breaks or wears out. The only thing I see the leaf needing in terms of wear items, besides wipers and tires, would be drive axles and wheel bearings around 125~150K miles.

I dunno about that... Insurance on my 2017 Volt is virtually identical to my 2011 Leaf....

Stoaty said:
Don't forget that to include the yearly cost for registration and insurance on a 2011 vs a 2016. That is a significant difference, at least in California.

Phatcat73 said:
Not worth it as you can almost purchase a used leaf for the cost of an installed battery pack.

This was my first thought exactly. I'll bet that you could sell your Leaf outright, buy a 2012 that has had the battery replaced recently with the newer 2015 chemistry, and come out WAY ahead of laying out $6400. KBB says that my 2012 SL, in excellent condition, with 42,000 miles, is worth <$7,000. There's no way for me to factor in what my new battery is worth, so it may be a write-off.
The other option, that has worked out for a few people, is sell your Leaf, find one that is still under the 60,000 mile/5 year battery capacity warranty, but has lost 4 bars, or will by the time the warranty is out, and have Nissan replace the battery for free when you lose the 4th bar. Its actually amazing how many owners and private dealers out there aren't aware of the capacity warranty.

My previous post was incorrect and I deleted it.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168#p374490 for the original Brian Brockman post with battery price.

Got new battery installed today.

Service advisor said the system currently shows $800 core value for the old pack.

Thought it might be possible to pay the core charge and keep the old pack.
Brockman previously indicated old pack had to be turned in.

Does anyone know if Nissan will let you keep the old pack for $800 :?:

knightmb said:
ncscenic said:

This part sticks out for the price of a new pack, I thought customers were suppose to get a $1,000 credit for the exchange of the old battery to take that cost down to the $5500 range? So it looks like the Dealership is pocketing the $1,000 credit. Does it really cost $1,000 for the dealership to drop the old battery, lift the new battery up and connect it? It's not like the car has to be taken apart with special tools?

out of warranty exchanges have labor fees added plus possibly an adapter. this likely accounts for the difference in price with sales tax

I got an itemized list of parts and installation fees/taxes etc.

See https://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2016/...-miles-for-an-electric-vehicle-is-phenomenal/

It's not an easy decision. Interesting others are being coached into a finance deal on the new battery. I was asked by customer relations rep if I wanted to be transferred to the dealer and that I should ask for the finance manager. Maybe Nissan thinks we don't have the money.

I can find $6,000 myself, that not the issue, the issue is, is it worth it?

A friend at church just had an experience with an older car that reinforces my trepidation at sinking $6,000 into a car that is worth at most $7,000. He had an old junker, put new struts, four new tires, alignment and sundry other items into an old Malibu. Paid $1,600 for it all on Wednesday and on Friday was hit from behind, pushed into a trailer hitch in front and the car is totalled. He just lost $1,600 having the benefit of his expenditure for less than 48 hours.

Putting $6,000 into a car that barely worth that much if totalled is rolling the dice so to speak.

I'm going to keep QC'ing my old LEAF to and from work until it hits 100,000 miles (about 4 months away) on the miniscule chance that the battery may fail and be covered under the warranty after all. Once I hit 100,000 miles I am left holding the baby for sure with no hope of assistance from Nissan, that's when I decide what to do. My workplace moves closer to home in October and they appear to be accommodating EV's. I might just be able to keep it going on the old battery until the Bolt comes to Tennessee, which I guess will be spring next year.

Add to all this that there are rumors Nissan may selling their battery operations http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nissan-battery-stakesale-idUSKCN10H05J old batteries may not be available for the original LEAF's much longer.

2011/12 customers have been abandoned by Nissan, next Nissan may abandon the 2011/12 cars altogether. They are hardly going to retrofit an LG pack or whatever into a 2011/12 Leaf.

Welcome to the era of the disposable ($33,160) car.

Back