Legality on plugging in in a non EV designated plug. What's the law?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowBattery

What does the law say to plugging in to a plug in the public area that is not locked or any signage?

Scenario: I plug in my car in an 120v plug at school during class. The plugs are scattered through out the garage without a lock or signage. I was unplugged by the campus security and was left a report receipt stating I was in violation of PC 498(b)(5) "unauthorized use of utility."

Isn't it implied such plugs can be used when it doesn't have a lock?

Anyone have more info on this matter?

LowBattery said:
What does the law say to plugging in to a plug in the public area that is not locked or any signage?

Scenario: I plug in my car in an 120v plug at school during class. The plugs are scattered through out the garage without a lock or signage. I was unplugged by the campus security and was left a report receipt stating I was in violation of PC 498(b)(5) "unauthorized use of utility."

I don't think it has anything to do with the EVSE. It seems they are talking about in general unauthorized use of utility as this is considered personal use. You may want to check with school if they are ok with you plugging in the car for charging.

I believe, this happened here in CA last year. A school teacher was close to being fired for using the school plug to charge his car during the day. When the school cited him, controversy erupted.

Best thing to do would be to ask first and request permission.

It is far too long - we need legislation that forces buildings with more than 35-50 parking spots for cars to provide (not necessarily free) EV charging.

mihird said:
I believe, this happened here in CA last year. A school teacher was close to being fired for using the school plug to charge his car during the day. When the school cited him, controversy erupted.

Best thing to do would be to ask first and request permission.

It is far too long - we need legislation that forces buildings with more than 35-50 parking spots for cars to provide (not necessarily free) EV charging.

That is a major hurdle and it will continue to be as EV cars become more popular. As it is, most places I go in my area I see the one and only outlet being used already. So if I had an EV when I got there, I'd be out of luck plugging my car in and who knows how long the other person is going to be there? Or there is a Jeep sitting in the spot clearly marked "Electric Vehicle Only" like I saw yesterday......

DuncanCunningham said:
but if you bring in a space heater to run under your desk you are ok.. they only use a little bit of KWHR each day.

It's about awareness. Most people think that an electric car uses a lot of electricity to charge.

BTW, some work places frown upon the space heaters as well. It's the cost of electricity and also the issue of liability from a potential fire hazard when you plug in any personal device. Yeah, we are nation built by lawsuits.

DuncanCunningham said:
but if you bring in a space heater to run under your desk you are ok.. they only use a little bit of KWHR each day.

8 hours of a space heater can be about 9.6kwh, about half a LEAF pack. A space heater can consume the same or more than charging on L1.

I have always thought of a simple solution to resolve the billing of electricity issue with the workplace/public places.

Why can't a charging pass through adapter keep track of which VIN no. drew how much electricity from which utility acct. at what time, and pass the bill back to the owner of the VIN no.

The liability issue with fire hazards etc. is the big part...

Legally the plugs belong to the property owner and using them without permission could be considered stealing. It is no more OK than it would be to walk into someone's house and watch their TV because they happened to leave their front door open.

People sure get some weird ideas about plugging their cars in.

LowBattery said:

Allowed use of the outlets is at the discretion of those legally responsible for the property. You could have tried to make a case that allowed use is implied, since there is no signage stating otherwise and access is not restricted, except that you have now been notified in writing that use is not allowed.

Talk to Campus Administration and ask about use. If you can get written permission allowing it, notify Security and provide them a copy of the letter, and laminate a copy to attach to the outlet when using it.

davewill said:
Legally the plugs belong to the property owner and using them without permission could be considered stealing. It is no more OK than it would be to walk into someone's house and watch their TV because they happened to leave their front door open.

People sure get some weird ideas about plugging their cars in.
+1

Nobody thinks it is OK to setup a lawn chair and hang out on someone elses lawn. I should not need to have a fence for you to realize that my backyard is private property. It would never be OK to use someones hose to fill up your water jug just because their spigot has no lock. Folks with outdoor chargers (yes, EVSE for you pedantic folks) should not have to lock it up to keep EV drivers from pulling into their driveway and topping up.

A world that requires locks on every last thing of value is a sucky world, and a little common sense and common decency goes a long way.

Update:

Not sure when plugshare was updated but the area is listed on plug share. We are officially official even though by law it wasn't required.

LowBattery said:
Update:

Not sure when plugshare was updated but the area is listed on plug share. We are officially official even though by law it wasn't required.
It would be more helpful and informative if you stated location and what actions were required to get plug use approved.

TimLee said:
LowBattery said:
Update:

It would be more helpful and informative if you stated location and what actions were required to get plug use approved.

This is in California. There was no action on my part. I presume someone else asked the school just before summer started to "share" the plug. I only just noticed it the other day while checking a charger status nearby.

LowBattery said:
Update:

PlugShare is not official. Sites can be added by anyone with an account. Many sites posted on PlugShare are not authorized by the owner who usually knows little about PHEVs/BEVs nor what PlugShare is.

If it's not labeled for use, ask the owner or facility administrator - there's a good chance one will be given the green light if started this way.

Perhaps an analogy would be that most public venues would not object to your use of a water tap to fill a bottle of water, but probably would object to you running a hose over your fence to water your lawn. The amounts are significantly different. But there is even more to it.

Unlike plugging in a cell-phone or other trivial load, an EVSE pulls considerable current. Both the cost and the current-demands are non-trivial. Perhaps especially the latter. Even just 2 L1 EVSE on the same 120V circuit will pop a breaker, or worse. Or an EVSE and some random load that you may not be aware of.

In my opinion, the physical realities of car charging mean that a reasonable person would NOT assume that an outlet was available for car charging, without explicit permission. Even an outlet that may have been seen in use by members of the public for other functions. This is just a different category of use with safety as well as monetary concerns.

As someone with electric motor scooters for the last 14 years, I can tell you that this kind of "opportunity charging" is not worth the trouble, as most businesses and even private owners will refuse permission, and the factors mentioned by Nubo apply even when they do. The best place to get a charge is a campground with RV 'power posts' with multiple outlets on them, for 120 and 240 volts. These usually cost you, but many RV parks will rent a site for a few hours for less than the cost of a day's rental.

I'm plugged into the post shown with a TT-30 (30 amp 120 volts) to Nema 5-15 (15 amp 120 volts) adapter, available widely for less than $20. I could also have plugged into the GFCI outlet. I now also carry a J-1772 adapter that should let me charge my Vectrix scooter from EV charging stations.

Legally you would have a hard time in court arguing that the "presence" of the outlet implied consent.
Maybe you could get away with it once :roll:

I'm not saying that THIS is the correct way to do things, but.........

A couple times a month I have to drive to another State for meetings.
It's about 40 miles one way with AC on at 70+ MPH on I95, which for my 2012 can be tight , and a round trip is now out of the question.

The meetings are at big commercial property (office) with an integral below grade parking area.
I've been going here for years, and I discovered if I go down to the lowest level, about 7 floors down, there is, at the very end of the lot, a 120VAC outlet.

I pull in so tight so that I'm within 1" of touching the wall, pop the charger port, plug the Nissan EVSE in, and place the unit and spare cord/cable under the front of the car, Twist-tied to the lower grille/ front plate bracket.

I lower the charge door over the J1772, and you would have to be REALLY observant to ever see it, especially once the lot above gets full, and people start filling in this remote area.

It's a dead end, so no one is going to casually pass by.
I left a note on the EVSE for the first few times with my cell phone # just in case.

Technically, this is theft of service/utility, as it is unauthorized and has measurable value.
I would be happy to pay them if they had any sort of system to do so, but many places (locales) are very restrictive about the reselling of utility services.

Anyway, that's my less than perfect solution.

Unrelated story:
I also took my son to the Hospital outside of my round trip range years ago.
They were doing some exterior renovation, and I found their "Power Pole".

I used to carry a 100' 12Gauge extension cord (I was sure I was going to run out of power, but never have).
I plugged into one of the 16+ outlets that were about half full of cords, and followed them until i was about 50" away from the pole, then I diverted to my vehicle.
6 Hours plugged in, and came back and all was well.

But I digress.

EDIT (p.s.) Legally, my solution is less legally defendable than simply overtly plugging in.
It could be argued that my way shows premeditated intent, QED implying that I knew it was unauthorized and I then attempted to conceal the "theft".
Just FYI - Before someone else said it :eek:

Back