Key FOB Strategies (Prevent/Deal with Loss)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

Our 2016 Leaf is arriving today.

I'm guessing I will enjoy the keyless operation, but I'm paranoid about losing a key fob and spending $300 for a new one (compared with $2 for an old-fashioned key). True, I can't remember ever losing a key, but my keychain has fallen off my belt once or twice.

I've searched the forum and learned that it may be possible to buy a fob on eBay and have it programmed for $100. Is that true?

1. Is it possible to lock a fob inside the car?

2. Do you have any strategies to prevent the loss of the fob (long ribbon, locator tile, etc.)?

3. The fob I have doesn't have the metal plate with numbers on it (maybe the one with the car does). Is that a problem?

Thanks!

It is not possible to lock the fob in the car. I just put the fob in my pocket or purse first thing each morning. Haven't lost one in almost four years. I did wash one once. It continued to work just fine. The extra one hangs on a hook by our back door. I have had to change the battery once in each. Good luck!

PianoAl said:
Yes, if you remove its battery. However, you're inviting your car to be stolen if a thief finds it. To start the car (put it into READY mode (green car w/arrows)) w/a dead fob battery, you need to hold it up to the power button.
PianoAl said:
2. Do you have any strategies to prevent the loss of the fob (long ribbon, locator tile, etc.)?
A quick Google search for keychain attach belt pointed me to to http://www.keyring.com/belt-key-holders.aspx.
PianoAl said:
3. The fob I have doesn't have the metal plate with numbers on it (maybe the one with the car does). Is that a problem?
You should receive one. I believe the key number plate (as it's called in the manual) is only for the mechanical metal key and has nothing to do w/the car being programmed to recognize fobs.

I've never lost any car keys or key fobs that I can remember. My 06 Prius, bought new in 06 has the same type of system (Toyota calls it Smart Key System whereas Nissan calls their Intelligent Key). I still have both fobs.

cwerdna said:
PianoAl said:
Yes, if you remove its battery. However, you're inviting your car to be stolen if a thief finds it. To start the car (put it into READY mode (green car w/arrows)) w/a dead fob battery, you need to hold it up to the power button.

+1 or more than likely a weak battery. My daughter had this happen once, she forgot the key on the seat and locked the car with the interior door lock button. It locked no problem and I had to rescue her with the spare. Note she locked the car with the interior door lock button, if she had tried locking the car with the exterior door handle button it would NOT have locked, thus preventing her lockout. I also lock my Leaf using the interior button(out of habit from previous cars) but I really should use the exterior button as a safeguard against lockouts in the rare case of a dead or weak battery getting accidentally locked in the car.

Here's my strategy:

OR9igPG.jpg

Lockable carabiner on belt
Rings long enough the fob is in pocket
Click 'n Dig Key locator (beeps when you push a button on the locator)
Will add: Tag with my phone number on it.

I attach my vehicle keys to my wallet, if I forget either I do not go far! This has saved me a great many times from leaving my wallet behind during a cross country trip!

If the car is new, work extra FOBs in the deal they cost about $200. the closer my have some room left, ask for more FOBs and work the deal. I think the car can have 4 loaded.

I bought a silicone key fob protector on ebay for ~$5. This slips over the fob and has button markings so you can still active the buttons. With the fob inside, it is fully functional and only slightly larger than the fob itself.

Advantages:
1) Protects the fob from banging and scratches as well as some protection from crushing
2) Very unlikely to slip out of a pocket or get pick-pocketed.

Note: the one I bought is not customized for the Leaf. It looks right, but the charge port button is marked with a trunk-release icon.

Bob

I too used a sleeve to prevent the fob from sliding out. It was from eBay and it had the correct markings. eBay has everything when you look closely. Unlike the 2015's my 2014 requires the fob to be inserted into the dash. That took several months to get used to. Now it is normal.

I went to the local big box pet store (PetSmart) and used their automated dog tag engraving machine to create a small dog tag for each of my LEAF fobs. Each tag is black metal, about the size of a dime, and is clearly engraved with my name on one side and my phone number in the other. If I misplace the key at a restaurant or ferry terminal, for example, at least there is a chance I'll be called or paged. I think the tags cost about $8 each.

I might also look into something like Tile, a little Bluetooth chip you can attach to things such as keys or even a bicycle.

You can just write your phone number with an indelible pen on a piece of plastic, cut it out, and punch a hole, like this:

3vuQS4d.jpg

My research told me that the tile isn't as good as the Click 'n Dig thing I got.

If you put your address on a key fob, you're letting the bad guys know where a free car is located. Email address or phone # is safer.

PianoAl said:

Thanks!

The metal plate with the numbers is your key code for the key blade if you need a replacement cut. Nissan only stores maybe the last 10 years worth of key codes so assuming you have the car past 2026 and need a key cut you'll want that metal tag. I'd also suggest writing it down in your owners manual for future reference in case you lose the metal tag.

PianoAl said:

I'm guessing I will enjoy the keyless operation, but I'm paranoid about losing a key fob and spending $300 for a new one (compared with $2 for an old-fashioned key). True, I can't remember ever losing a key, but my keychain has fallen off my belt once or twice.

I've searched the forum and learned that it may be possible to buy a fob on eBay and have it programmed for $100. Is that true?

Thanks!

one of the keys should have a key code. will you be using both keys?

Couple things. I am not "key challenged" but my SO was....in the extreme. She had locked the keys in her car dozens of times. loses them nearly every day, etc.

now you are a guy with pockets so what does that mean?

1) never losing your keys because you never find them in your hand to absentmindedly set them down somewhere like the coffee counter at Forenza's

fact is, you don't have to take them out of your pocket at all. I am embarking on my 7th year of LEAFdom but also had 7 years of Priusdom before that which also had smart key entry and start.

during ALL that time, I only had one key issue and that was last week because my battery FOB died so I was using the mechanical key to open car, the FOB's RFID to start car so they were separate and sure enough, I went somewhere and took FOB (which is useless for my needs) and left key in car and locked it. Luckily, I was a few blocks from a friend who was able to give me ride home to retrieve spare key...

jjeff said:
cwerdna said:
PianoAl said:

+1 or more than likely a weak battery. My daughter had this happen once, she forgot the key on the seat and locked the car with the interior door lock button. It locked no problem and I had to rescue her with the spare. Note she locked the car with the interior door lock button, if she had tried locking the car with the exterior door handle button it would NOT have locked, thus preventing her lockout. I also lock my Leaf using the interior button(out of habit from previous cars) but I really should use the exterior button as a safeguard against lockouts in the rare case of a dead or weak battery getting accidentally locked in the car.

your situation is the very reason why I never used the interior locks...at least until my FOB batteries died. after 13 years of smart key (7 with Prius, 6 with LEAF) I had grown complacent. I never took FOB out of pocket. in fact the 2013 FOB, I never used any of the buttons except one time in a "range test" competition.

not that this guarantees anything but there is a device you can buy that ties your keychain and cellphone together. you can set it so one or the other or both alert when they sense a preset distance.

now does this work if you have a tendency to leave your cellphone and keys behind a lot?

FYI; my LEAF FOB has nothing but my gym card and a couple Charging network cards on it. no keys. I find that if I don't take keys out of the car, I never leave them behind.

Back