ARGH! For those of you who think the EV parking spot is a Premier Parking Spot

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightarmor

It's not. the EV parking spot is so you can park and plug your car in to charge. Don't be a jackhole and park in the EV spot only because it's close to the retail store it's in front of. Other people who actually want to or need to charge can't plug in if your dumb@$$ is parked there. And another piece of advice. Don't lie about being plugged in. I had someone lie to me today when two other Leaf owners clearly saw the vehicle not plugged in when they arrived. Next time I see your vehicle in the EV spot unplugged I will leave you a nasty gram note you SOB.

Reason for my rant-
I encountered two different charging locations today where people were parked and not plugged in. If I were a new Leaf owner I would be extremely pissed off. We already have a charging infrastructure problem then people who think they are entitled to the EV spot ruin it for new adopters or even potential EV adopters.

You can shame EV-holes at https://www.facebook.com/groups/evassholes.

You cna shame ICEholes at https://www.facebook.com/groups/iceholes.ev/.

I call this "entitlement parking", and it is maddening. Come on, some common courtesy and thoughtfulness for someone besides yourself, please! Some kind of handy, standard notice for the
windshield to remind these individuals of the malfeasance would be handy. Do we need EV etiquette classes?

knightarmor said:
Reason for my rant-
I encountered two different charging locations today where people were parked and not plugged in. If I were a new Leaf owner I would be extremely pissed off. We already have a charging infrastructure problem then people who think they are entitled to the EV spot ruin it for new adopters or even potential EV adopters.

I have wondered if putting the EV charging spots up front is a bad idea for this reason. I understand the practical purpose of doing so (shorter run of wire, easier to secure charging station, LEED certification, good publicity to look "green") but it does seem to create some secondary conflicts like this. For me, the privilege of getting to charge my vehicle, often for free, while I shop/work/dine is already a great perk... I don't need to park in prime real estate as well it just creates animosity.

My work is talking about putting a couple of EVSEs in and I almost want to tell them to put it in this shady spot that is farther from the entrance to avoid this kind of stuff. People are weird about parking... especially if they feel entitled to the spot somehow. I once saw a near fistfight at a gym over a parking spot near the entrance between two people that spent the next 30+ minutes walking on treadmills. For some reason they couldn't walk an extra 100ft in the lot but they could walk 3 miles on a conveyor belt with no issues.

But I agree with you, I always try to observe time limits on public EVSE and move my car once charging is complete.

cwerdna said:
You cna shame ICEholes at https://www.facebook.com/groups/iceholes.ev/.

It looks like their Facebook page has been disabled or removed. I had been trying to join their group for a couple of months now, but for some reason it was always stuck in "Pending" status. Really hope it comes back up, I enjoyed seeing the daily shaming with my morning breakfast.

Sometimes it's done out of ignorance, sometimes selfishness, and sometimes out of spite or ideological fervor from those who imagine gasoline = patriotism. I expect the latter phenomenon ( "EV Backlash" ) to increase as more appear on the roads.

A local news site recently ran a story about the prevalence of cheaters in California's HOV lanes. The comment section was equally split between people glorifying their cheating, and people ranting that the EV exemption was the "real problem". I was actually quite pleased to see that EVs have become numerous enough so that we now have people seeing them as "the problem". :lol: It means we're making good progress and entering the "fight you" stage.

First they ignore you.
Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you.
Then, you win.

As our LEAF is primarily a work commuter, the only way this would be a problem if someone blocked access to our driveway (charger is in the garage); not likely on a cul-de-sac where each house has its own driveway and if someone does, its a quick ticket and tow as it would be for anyone who might try it. There are a few charging spaces that do get watched and if a non-EV parks, someone would shoo them away (think in front of hotels with Valet staff) but its pretty rare so can understand the frustration if you were counting on it to get home, etc.

The EVSE spots should be far from the store, and the signage should make it clear (Not EV Parking only, but EV Charging only).

Back