Nissano: An Android app for HVAC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannamak

Hi, I wrote a very simple Android app for turning on a Leaf's heat or a/c remotely. It is available in the Google play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nissano&hl=en.

I wrote this to overcome three problems with Nissan carwings / connect:
1) If I turned the heat on, drove, got out, and wanted to turn it on again, I wait forever on the app to do an "update". Lame and unnecessary.
2) The old Nissan carwings app stopped working. Really bad project management - you should never leave users hanging.
3) new Nissan connect app wants sensitive data access, such as the phone's exact location. Completely intrusive and unnecessary.

The app is completely open-source. The source code is here:
https://github.com/wannamak/nissano.

I hope it helps others; the app has really been a huge time saver for me.

Welcome to mynissanleaf.com :)

I haven't tried the app yet but I could see it as a plus for summer/winter use when I'm in a hurry.

Sorry for such a basic question but would this app work on my '12SL and also '13S? I don't believe the '13S has internet connectivity(carwings)?? and I'm the second owner on the '12SL and have never hooked it up to the internet or activated anything. It sounds nice to be able to control things remotely but not sure if it would work for me....

The app uses the Nissan backend to control the HVAC. Your vehicle needs to be controllable with carwings or nissan connect. This app performs the task more quickly and without invading your privacy.

I just downloaded it and it works really nicely. I've generally used Leaf Manager for this because it is an order of magnitude faster then "EV disConnect", but Nissano was even quicker.

I went to leave a review, but the option isn't there for some reason.

I tried downloading and installing Leaf Manager, and the app is so filled with malware-like ads that it's unusable. I can't even type in the login info without getting redirected, because they put the "advertising" right over the info fields. Would I have the same experience with Nissano?

I tried to DL Nissano the same day I downloaded Leaf Manager, but it wouldn't come up in a Play Store search, despite numerous tries. The link works from my PC, but how do I easily find it on my EV-dedicated android phone with WiFi?

I had the same problem. I downloaded it from the play store on my PC, google then automatically installed it to my phone. It won't show up in google play store from your phone but will through your PC's browser. I thought that was odd but whatever just glad I got it. The app works very, very well! Really simple and just works!

rcm4453 said:
I had the same problem. I downloaded it from the play store on my PC, google then automatically installed it to my phone. It won't show up in google play store from your phone but will through your PC's browser. I thought that was odd but whatever just glad I got it. The app works very, very well! Really simple and just works!

Would you please give me a few more details on how to get it from the PC to the phone? They don't normally communicate.

While I'm waiting for either the app or the Nissan site to verify that my test command worked...do I have to enter my VIN with every request? The login info? The app is currently just sitting there with the info up...

EDIT: Ok, I guess the app retains the info, and it's nothing more than the login screen and a couple of status messages. That's all right with me, but since the site will also turn the CC off, is that feature in the works, hopefully?

I think just hitting the HVAC button again while climate control is on will turn it off. I also downloaded Leaf Manager but haven't tried it yet. I like the idea of a climate control widget but you have to buy the pro version to enable that feature.

Can anyone confirm that the same 'turn cc on' button will turn it off?

As to how to get the app installed if you can't find it with the phone: log into Google when prompted, after clicking on the app link here, and Google will download the app onto the phone via WiFi, at least if the phone has downloaded apps before.

Nissano returns a 301 error ("Failed Activate hvac returned 301") every time I use it. Does this happen to anyone else?

I suspect it needs the same URLs updated as was mentioned here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11476&start=30#p486655 (back from 6 months ago).

Back