New Leaf only charges to 98%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petritis

I just bought a new 2015 Leaf and it stops charging at 98%
The charging lights on the car have stopped flashing at that point too.

I had a 2014 Leaf for 2 years and it always made it to 100%
Is this a problem?
I am quite disturbed by it.

Things that make you go, hmmmm. That is strange. Do you have Leaf Spy? Did it sit at a dealer for months on end? May be it will improve after you do a few more charge cycles, but definetly worth looking at the cells with Leaf Spy, in case it has something wrong.

Do you have timed climate control turned on? My LEAF sometimes reads 99% after warming up the car on a cold day. Are you charging with 120V or 240V?

Have you turned off the car and turned it back on?

Mine always stops around 98% but when I unplug, restart the car, it reads 100% on the dash.

It really never charges past 97.3% to 97.5% SOC anyways though.

With a brand new car, you will probably go a while before everything is stabilized. I have found that when I unplug the car and start it in the morning, the state of charge is up to 100%, even when it told me only 98% the evening before...

petritis said:
Lots of ideas here, I will check them out and report back.

one or more of them are likely correct, some good ideas.

FWIW my 2012 stops at 92.7% more often than not. It takes just the right temps and charging to get it to go above 93%.

Just like Einstein said, everything is relative. A full battery is full no matter what percentage you see.

dhanson865 said:
petritis said:
Lots of ideas here, I will check them out and report back.

one or more of them are likely correct, some good ideas.

FWIW my 2012 stops at 92.7% more often than not. It takes just the right temps and charging to get it to go above 93%.

Just like Einstein said, everything is relative. A full battery is full no matter what percentage you see.
You must be reading it via LeafSpy? I recently purchased a '12 SL and for the first several charges it was stopping at 90% :? Then yesterday I wanted to test things so I ran it from full(90%) to turtle(actually less than turtle, until I had to push in the last few feet in my garage). Anyway now after a full charge it reports 95% :) I wonder if a full discharge somehow reset something??

My '13S(purchased new) always charges up to 100%(when I have it set to, which is ~ once every couple weeks). I'm wondering if doing another full charge and discharge on my '12 might help restore the full charge percentage to even more than 95%?? And is more percentage actually more capacity or just spreading the available percentage over a larger number?

FWIW when I drove it to pushing(fully discharged although dash was still lite) it still reported 2.6% on LeafSpy :?
It reported LB at 24.4%, --- for miles at 16%, VLB warning at 12% and turtle at 3.7%, does all this sound normal and acceptable?
I've never driven my '13 past ---, IOW I've never gotten a VLB warning.

aarond12 said:
Do you have timed climate control turned on? My LEAF sometimes reads 99% after warming up the car on a cold day. Are you charging with 120V or 240V?

This was probably the reason. As a test I turned it off and it is now 100%.
But I could have sworn that it was on with my old Leaf and that it was always 100%.
I had thought that if it is plugged in it would just draw power through the cable instead of the battery to do climate control.

Also I ordered what I need to use Leaf Spy and will hopefully have it going by the end of the week.

Thanks

To hijack this thread, my 2012 leaf, when I time charge to 80%, reads no more than a 73% SOC according to Leafspy.

Some days I need to drive 42 miles round trip on hilly roads: 30 miles with an hour break at home, then off to work for a 12 mile round trip. I have been plugging the car in to my 220 charger for an hour, so to keep the batteryfrom dipping below 30%SOC at the end of the day. I wonder if it is better to just make both trips without charging, even though there will only be 2kwh's left in the battery. Because of the terrain, I can't do much better than 3.7 m/kwh

I would love to have the extra 7%, so maybe I should just time charge to 100%, which only gives me 93% according to Leafspy.

Battery condition: ahr 52.67, soh 80%, hx 63%, 1843 l1/l2.

Everybody's thoughts would be appreciated.

Back