Leafspy Question ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dud

I am in the market for a used Leaf. I have purchased a v1.5 Bluetooth dongle and paired it with my tablet ... it works fine with other OBD II - based apps but have not yet tried it on a Leaf. My question is, when looking at used vehicles you can only tell so much about the car without using Leafspy. When checking the State-Of-Health (SOH) of the battery pack does the battery have to be fully (ie 100%) charged when checking using Leafspy? I ask because I am finding it difficult to get the seller to have the car fully charged (especially if they have only a 110v charger) when I come to see the car. Also, is there anything else that you would look at when going to look at a used Leaf ... especially using Leafspy.

Thank you ...

dud said:
When checking the State-Of-Health (SOH) of the battery pack does the battery have to be fully (ie 100%) charged when checking using Leafspy?

No the charge level does not depend on the SOH. It is a figure recorded in the car and the State of Charge does not affect it.

Leafspy will tell you the number of Quick Charges which could be a consideration if the number was extremely high. But the biggest factor I would look at is the SOH vs the year of the car and if the battery warranty might be helpful.

There are two fundamentally different Leaf version. newer and 2011-2012 model.
Old model had problems:
a) heater slow and not reliable
b) regeneration ability
c) less trunk space
d) 2 driving modes (vs 4)
e) maybe no camera, depends on model

Test drive a Leaf with 80% battery (4 or more battery bars). If regen is less than 3 bubbles don't consider it above excellent price.
Newer Leaf is much more convenient to use. Battery holds up a little bit better and has better regen - convenient.
Also heat pump is worth paying few grands more if you ever live in near freezing weather (or below).

SOH should be as good as possible, anything above 90% is excellent. Anything below 70% and no warranty is catastrophe.

Back