What are GID's ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissan reports quite a bit of data on the battery that can be read through the CAN buss port. Among that data is the state of charge expressed in units that are nominally 80 watt•hours but actually about 75 Wh in use. This unit was named a "Gid" in honor of forum member Gary Giddings, who built one of the early meters to measure the data from the car.

A new 2011/2012 LEAF had about 281 Gids when fully charged. As the battery degrades this full charge number diminishes, in step with the reduced battery capacity. Newer LEAF model years often have as many as 290 Gids when new, but the measure of the number seems to be affected by temperature and recent charge patterns.

Other useful milestones: Low Battery Warning happens at 49 Gids and Very Low Battery Warning happens at 24 Gids. Turtle reportedly happens at around 4-7 Gids (I haven't measured it), depending on driving conditions. Newer LEAF models have been reported to have more charge hidden below LBW, but last I heard the warnings were triggered by the same Gid numbers.

Because the unit is fairly small it makes for an excellent, finely divided, fuel gauge. Because it is an energy unit, it doesn't change as the battery degrades (unlike the % SOC that is displayed by 2013 and newer LEAFs).

Back