just for the heck of it

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbigfatty

The the threads are so analytical. So many pluses and minuses about why to by an electric and why to buy a Leaf.

I bought my Leaf because it was inexpensive, comfortable, fun to drive, lowered my monthly payments and I wouldn't have to pull up to a gas station ever again. I come from a Land Rover. I'm paying for the Leaf in not having to pay for gas.

Without getting all analytical, how many of you bought a Leaf because it it was the right thing to do for you on "simple" not "trying to change the world" principles.

The reason I ask is that I feel that it is the "simple" measure of the game changer that matters. When electric cars are the right consumer choice we win. I'not sure we are there yet, but I think we are accelerating and for many of us living with an electric car is a no brainer and we just don't know it yet.

How many of you took the "Leap"just for the heck of it?? Sc*w the analytical side, its just fun and right for you?

[MODERATORS NOTE: Please refrain from even masked swearing. -drees]

I'm CDO (that's OCD, but arranged alphabetically as it should be) so I don't do anything just for the f**k of it. Pretty much every decision I make has a cost benefit analysis tied to it. And, I am distressed to affirm, that's the truth, not just hyperbole.

I got my leaf because it was incredibly cheap with the tax incentives factored in and my wife can charge for free at work and it is saving us a lot of money. It really wasn't for the environmental benefits. The car is actually quite a pleasure to drive and own.

went to the Nissan dealer to look at a used prius, walked by the leaf and turned and looked at, test drove it, liked it, bought it, that's how much thought I put into it. was only a little familiar with it, just liked the way it felt. bob

I didn't min-max costs. Very few people buy new cars to maximize their transportation dollar. If that's your goal, you're far better off finding a 15-year old ICE that's mechanically sound but cosmetically bad, buy it for a song and limit your maintenance to safety items and keeping the oil topped off.

Most folks buy NEW cars for other reasons, mainly aesthetic and aspirational. "Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle".

For some reason my wife became fascinated with the idea of having an electric car and she is not the typical "tree hugger" type. At any rate we were on a trip heading north and through Seattle. I had been looking at some inexpensive electric cars sold by a dealer there through a web site. I suggested we make a stop there. We did and the cars were crap - could do 35 mph and sounded like bolt buckets. Discouraged we got back on I-5 and continued north. Listening to the radio we heard a Nissan commercial about a $99/mo lease. We called and made arrangements to see a salesman about this when we returned home from BC.

Basically, the car seemed well made, could do highway speeds, and would save us over $100/month even with the lease payment. It did take $4K down but she had that. So the basic reason we bought was economic and since then its been even more an economic reason to dispense with the little used Subaru for good when a higher kWh capacity comes available. Other than that it is the FUNNEST :D car we have ever driven. We are addicted regen acrobats and not about to do a 12 Step program to change .... :lol:

We were looking for a new-ish car this past summer, and were looking for a good car that got great mpg. The cost of a used Leaf was cheaper than comparable 2 year old compact hatchbacks, and the operating cost looked to be very economical. I also have a soft spot for unique cars with a bit of a personality. So when I found our Leaf for sale a few hours away, I arranged to buy it, towed it home, and we have been very happy with it ever since. My wife likes to drive it as much as I do. It is nearly a net savings for us to own, after factoring in the miles I am not putting on my 11 mpg Titan. I will definitely have an electric car in the garage from now on...

I think you might find that many here are simply 'early adopter's' of new tech versus trying to analyze the difference on costs alone -- sometimes you make the leap, sometimes you don't. Also, sometimes you can consider that there are 'incentives' that definitely encourage you to try the new tech that are time limited (even more so, as it turned out in my own case).

Our '12 LEAF will be 4 years old towards the end of December; other than the high state of depreciation of its value (against its original MSRP) and the loss of one battery capacity 'bar' (has about 36K miles on it) I've been quite happy taking the leap.

We've worked around its limitations on range, but know what its main mission is as we have 3 drivers and 4 cars so as weather conditions change, we always have a plan B.

What really makes it unique versus an ICE? -- love the instant, almost noiseless, acceleration; granted its no Tesla but the perception when driving brings a smile every time I drive it -- passing gas stations, chock full with people trying to get to a pump; especially around holidays, etc.; can't be matched! --- charging on my (subsidized) L2 station in my own garage; who knew it could be this easy? -- total silence at stop lights; little to no road noise while underway; hard to impossible to replicate with an ICE (although a few now are offering auto stop/start tech; some better than others but many find it annoying and not as seamless as an EV or PHEV).

There are still a LOT of people who have never driven and/or ridden in an EV and have misperceptions that grow a bit tiresome; but being an 'early adopter' I expect to continue to hear about these, even after 4 years; much more so here in the Midwest than the Pacific coast. Unless gas gets back up to where people are driving less while putting $100+ to fill up their 4-door sedans (believe it or not, we saw premium at close to $5/gal; with regular at under $2/gal not much incentive to switch) renewed interest may be a long way off other than those who do it for 'the heck of it'

EDIT: the incentive was IL offered a 10% of MSRP EV cash rebate (up to $4K) that has since gone unfunded; still have the 50% EVSE cash rebate equip/install for residential and commercial chargers.

Nubo said:
Very few people buy new cars to maximize their transportation dollar. If that's your goal, you're far better off finding a 15-year old ICE that's mechanically sound but cosmetically bad, buy it for a song and limit your maintenance to safety items and keeping the oil topped off.

I actually did do this and found that buying a new Leaf was cheaper over 10 years than operating my 1998 Subaru Outback. Of course, I have solar, so that helps a lot, and I did the calculations when gas was $2.50/gal, whereas it is now $1.71/gal. But I'm probably breaking even and I'm not driving a 17 year old car.

I did give up something, though. I now have a car that is good for commuting and short around-town trips. But I can't take it skiing, or camping, or do a lot of the things we used to do with the Outback. We now use the Sequoia for that. I know, that's a bit ironic getting a Leaf and trading a 24 mpg auto for the 18 mpg auto for long trips...

We had three cars in the family and four drivers and needed a fourth car. Maintaining three cars was a pain so a new electric car seemed like a low maintenance option for the fourth. The incentives were good, I only have a 7 mile commute to work, and if I needed to go far I had three other cars to choose from. Has worked out great so far.........

I like the idea of a car being more like an appliance than a weekend project, so when my first daughter was born, I traded in my 9-year-old Mazda for an i-MiEV lease ($0 down, $69/month). No oil changes, no filter changes, no significant maintenance? Yes, please!

After 1 year and 9 months of leasing the i-MiEV, I found a "used" (is 225 miles "used"?) LEAF and turned in the i-MiEV early.

At first, my wife was "tolerant" of my electric vehicles. She liked that it was quiet, but never drove the i-MiEV. Then she started driving the LEAF occasionally. Now she wants to take my car all the time.

For me it was a purely financial decision. I have wanted an electric car for over 20 years but could never afford one.

I am a delivery driver. I drive 40,000 miles a year. I put around 28,000 miles a year on my leaf (bit over a year I have a bit over 32,000 miles on my leaf)

I did the math. $480 to $520 a month in fuel. versus $305 car payment and $89 Insurance premium increase. Easy math.

plus virtually no maintenance.

my only problem is I wish I was able to see the future and wait 8 more months. while I really do love my leaf I really wish I had that heat pump and 6.6kwh charging system. really badly. (mines a 2012)

alas I am stuck now since the car is worth less than what I owe. my best chance is someone smashing it since I have gap insurance :) my luck it won't get a scratch ever :)

Could I drive my geo metro instead? absolutely. and my back would be ruined in months. I am 6'4" climbing in and out of a geo metro 50 times a day is a nightmare (driving them is fine I go all over the place in my little mouse but I do not enjoy the climbing in and out of it so I don't use it as primary for delivery. I use the far far more comfortable minivan.

but the leaf even gives the geo a run for its money. if we count 75% of the cars cost as "the cost of having a nice new modern car" and the other 25% of the price of the car the "EV Cost" then the leaf will still break even with even a geo metro (40mpg on delivery) in just about 3years especially when you factor in the maintenance the mouse would need in that time.

the leaf is as comfy as the minivan. maybe better. its close. the seats in the leaf are really nice. I want to get a set to put in my metro and tracker really badly :)

There are other advantages to an EV I had not considered until after I drove my leaf home. and this is a BIG ONE now and a reason I won't likely ever not have an EV as my DD.

the silence. the silence is absolutely addictive.

I HATE automatic transmissions with a passion and after finding that the cars I really want are available in automatic-only trim, I wanted to try a car with a 1 speed gearbox and instantaneous torque. ICE cars are getting exceedingly complex and as good as direct injection is for fuel mileage, the carbon buildup problem is something I want to avoid. I now have an offroad worthy supercharged SUV for exploring and extended-range travel and an EV for everything else. My wife has a new ICE car that barely gets driven. On top of all the above, the financials worked out where the EV made economic sense.

Back