2011 warranty gamble! Buy or run?!?!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krankenwagen

I am a leaf admirer and really wanna take the plunge into the 100% EV world! I live in the southern Midwest and have found a 2011 Leaf with 43,000 miles on the ODO and 9 bars on the capacity meter. Warranty runs out on June 1st 2016. The car is selling for less than $10,000. My question to everyone is: Will the fourth capacity bar drop off before June?!?!! If it doesn't then I would have made a significant gamble and lost. I have no idea when the last bar dropped off....

Lemme know what you think!

You need to get LeafSpy and an OBD2 reader to see the car's internal metrics, in particular the amp hour (Ah) reading and state of health (SOH) of the pack. These will tell you how close it is to that last bar dropping. You also need to run the VIN by Nissan to make sure the car isn't excluded from capacity warranty coverage for any reason.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I have contacted the INCREDIBLY helpful Nissan Leaf warranty folks and have verified that the car is elgible for warranty battery replacement. Drove the car to a different Nissan dealership (people around here don't know the value of the Leaf) and had a free battery capacity test performed. All they could tell me was that it had nine bars left and that the battery was in "incredible shape". Is it true you must have lost 30% capacity AND have lost 4 bars to be elgible for replacement? I love the car! Anyone in OK have the equipment to more closely tell and estimate when the next bar will drop?!?

krankenwagen said:
Thanks for the reply! I have contacted the INCREDIBLY helpful Nissan Leaf warranty folks and have verified that the car is elgible for warranty battery replacement. Drove the car to a different Nissan dealership (people around here don't know the value of the Leaf) and had a free battery capacity test performed. All they could tell me was that it had nine bars left and that the battery was in "incredible shape". Is it true you must have lost 30% capacity AND have lost 4 bars to be eligible for replacement? I love the car! Anyone in OK have the equipment to more closely tell and estimate when the next bar will drop?!?

Doesn't matter the % capacity lost. You have to lose 4 bars no matter if you lose 40% capacity to do so.

In reality you'll likely be about 66% capacity remaining aka 34% lost by the time the 4th bar drops.

You'll want aHr, SOH %, and HX from leafspy to compare against. No guarantee it will or won't drop.

Call back the hot line and ask if the car got the P3227 update yet. If not don't buy it, if so it's still a gamble but at least you won't be denied by a firmware update missing.

Adding the P3227 update could delay the 4th bar loss by several months.

Back