JimEG
Delivery Date: 26 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 007553

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll check with the dealer about the warranty. Yes. I understand the Leaf will not truly get infinite MPG. Currently at my local power rate I am paying around .03$/mile and once I install solar this winter this number will improve even more.

Pretty excited about owning an electric car. I am an electrician, gear head, and tech geek - and currently also own a Sprinter, a Transit and a Syncro Vanagaon - so the Leaf fits right in the quiver here with it's efficiency, function, form and style. Fun car.

Anyone have an opinion about the battery health?
Last edited by JimEG on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:10 am

JimEG wrote:...Yes. I understand the Leaf will not truly get infinite MPG. Currently at my local power rate I am paying around .03$/mile and once I install solar this winter this number will improve even more...
I prefer "ZERO gallons per mile", which is what I have on my car (I don't think FalconFour is making them anymore, however). And my car is also "sunpowered" since my 2170 watts of solar panels provide enough electricity to fuel my LEAF and run my house.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

passepartout
Delivery Date: 24 Oct 2014

Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Drove off in a 2015s in Pearl White, with QC port, from Baker Nissan in Houston. The car is great; super quiet, very stable on the road, with a very smooth and linear power delivery, very nice. Very happy with the car, I am relishing the need to never stop at a gas pump again! lol
I received two years of No Charge to Charge, a $1875 Texas Environmental credit for $279.69 per month and 12,000 miles per year for a three year lease. Anyone know how to determine the purchase price after three years?

Als a couple of nuisances; to get the $1875 credit, Texas requires the application for vehicle registration be submitted , something the dealer salesprson is lost about locating. I am about to escalate the request to upper mgmt as the salesperson has failed to come through in three weeks. Secondly, I used the charge card at a blink station at work, it permits one hour of charge free, so I set the charging timer to end in one hour. When I got off work ten hours later, the car was fully charged (taking four hours), and I got a bill for $22 of charging. It appears that specifying an end time to charging that is one hour after hookup doesn't work, and the blink charges for connect time even though charging is complete.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:32 pm

For NMAC leases, your purchase option price is the Residual Value, plus a $300 administrative fee. It should be listed on the far right hand side of the box titled 6.) Important Terms.

You are correct in that if you are plugged in, you will still be charged whether or not the battery is full.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

JimEG

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:54 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
JimEG wrote:...Yes. I understand the Leaf will not truly get infinite MPG. Currently at my local power rate I am paying around .03$/mile and once I install solar this winter this number will improve even more...
I prefer "ZERO gallons per mile", which is what I have on my car (I don't think FalconFour is making them anymore, however). And my car is also "sunpowered" since my 2170 watts of solar panels provide enough electricity to fuel my LEAF and run my house.

Zero Gallons would be a more accurate statement. Is your 2170W sized for your Leaf charging needs or for other loads as well?

I am installing solar PV on my house this winter - sizing for max available roof space on my W, S, E roof(s).

JimEG

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Last edited by JimEG on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgpcolorado

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:20 pm

JimEG wrote:...Zero Gallons would be a more accurate statement. Is your 2170W sized for your Leaf charging needs or for other loads as well?

I am installing solar PV on my house this winter - sizing for max available roof space on my W, S, E roof(s).
Yes, I and several others thought that "zero gallons per mile" was a more accurate and attention-getting statement. Kudos to FalconFour for the excellent graphic design.

My 2170 W of panels covers all my usage, both LEAF and house. However, it is much smaller than the solar arrays that most people install for two reasons:
1) My household usage is much lower than that of most — about 4.8 kWh per day — in part because I don't need AC in the mountains and I use natural gas for water and space heating.
2) My LEAF mileage is only a bit over 7000 miles a year.

To put it in perspective, last year my panels generated 3327 kWh of electricity, which was 103% of what I used to fuel my LEAF and run my house. It is likely that you will need a substantially larger array if your household electricity usage is closer to average, panels in your climate zone produce less electricity than mine do here in sunny, high altitude (7670 feet), Colorado, and/or your annual LEAF mileage is higher than mine.
Tesla Referral Code

dgpcolorado

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:51 pm

passepartout wrote:...Secondly, I used the charge card at a blink station at work, it permits one hour of charge free, so I set the charging timer to end in one hour. When I got off work ten hours later, the car was fully charged (taking four hours), and I got a bill for $22 of charging. It appears that specifying an end time to charging that is one hour after hookup doesn't work, and the blink charges for connect time even though charging is complete.
Leaving aside how the blink stations charge for use, you can set an end-time and have charging stop at that time. If it didn't work properly that suggests that you made a mistake in programming the end-timer. Be sure you have AM and PM right (or use the 24 hour time format). And be aware that you not only have to set the end-time but also turn the timer "on". If the timer is set but "off" the car will charge to full whenever plugged-in. (That's useful when you want it to do that at a public charge station but keep your timer setting for home.)

So, I suggest you try using the end-timer again. It does work if set correctly.
Tesla Referral Code

JimEG

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:15 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
JimEG wrote:...Zero Gallons would be a more accurate statement. Is your 2170W sized for your Leaf charging needs or for other loads as well?

Yes, I and several others thought that "zero gallons per mile" was a more accurate and attention-getting statement. Kudos to FalconFour for the excellent graphic design.

My 2170 W of panels covers all my usage, both LEAF and house. However, it is much smaller than the solar arrays that most people install for two reasons:
1) My household usage is much lower than that of most — about 4.8 kWh per day — in part because I don't need AC in the mountains and I use natural gas for water and space heating.
2) My LEAF mileage is only a bit over 7000 miles a year.

To put it in perspective, last year my panels generated 3327 kWh of electricity, which was 103% of what I used to fuel my LEAF and run my house. It is likely that you will need a substantially larger array if your household electricity usage is closer to average, panels in your climate zone produce less electricity than mine do here in sunny, high altitude (7670 feet), Colorado, and/or your annual LEAF mileage is higher than mine.

Sounds like you have a nice set up. I was studying at SEI in Paonia this spring and we measured close to 1400 W/M2 @ 6000' - standard test conditions are 1000 W/M2. You folks in the Rockies have some of the highest performing PV in the US. Fun.

dgpcolorado

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:02 pm

JimEG wrote:Sounds like you have a nice set up. I was studying at SEI in Paonia this spring and we measured close to 1400 W/M2 @ 6000' - standard test conditions are 1000 W/M2. You folks in the Rockies have some of the highest performing PV in the US. Fun.
Yes, the combination of reduced atmosphere overhead plus cooler temperatures makes for good solar production on sunny days. And I can (and do) adjust the pitch of my ground mounted panels with the seasons — they are currently at 45º — to further optimize my production. I also pull the snow off rather than wait for it to melt. So, my production is pretty good for a small array despite it not being quite as sunny as the desert.
Tesla Referral Code

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”