New recall? P5327 for electronic brake boost in cold temps.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc500

I went into the Nissan dealer today to get my 2nd annual battery check on a 2013 Nissan leaf SL and they said there is some service bulletin they need to perform on the electronic brakes. I can not find any details on this. Does anyone know what this is?

edit: [Mod note, merged two threads, if you read the first few pages consider posts may be out of original context order but should still be on topic.]

May be a feeble attempt by Nissan to make the battery last longer. We've had some updates that reduced driving range and cut braking regen.
Also are battery is down to 10 bars and still shows 70 mile range. This can't be true since with a 100% battery that range would only happen when things were near perfect. The Leaf looses the bars that are left what looks like a lot faster than before. Sorry just venting.

A Leaf dealer tech posted this on the Seattle Leaf FB group on 10/16/15:

"INTRODUCTION
Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign on certain 2013-2015 LEAF vehicles to reprogram the Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit. This service will be performed at no cost to the customer for parts or labor.
IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
Nissan has assigned identification number P5327 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.
DEALER RESPONSIBILITY
Dealers are to correct each vehicle falling within the range of this campaign that enters the service department. This includes vehicles purchased from private parties or presented by transient (tourist) owners and vehicles in a dealer’s inventory...."

I quickly checked the '13 model year under http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/691/ and http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/651/, and didn't see anything along these lines yet.

cwerdna said:
A Leaf dealer tech posted this on the Seattle Leaf FB group on 10/16/15:

"INTRODUCTION
Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign on certain 2013-2015 LEAF vehicles to reprogram the Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit. This service will be performed at no cost to the customer for parts or labor.
IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
Nissan has assigned identification number P5327 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.
DEALER RESPONSIBILITY
Dealers are to correct each vehicle falling within the range of this campaign that enters the service department. This includes vehicles purchased from private parties or presented by transient (tourist) owners and vehicles in a dealer’s inventory...."

I quickly checked the '13 model year under http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/691/ and http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/651/, and didn't see anything along these lines yet.

I would certainly like to know more about this, if anyone has any further info, please jump in! I wonder if this is different than the TSB fix, or just an escalation of the TSB fix into a voluntary recall?

Took my car to service and the guy said they just got a new recall a week ago? He couldn't even tell me what it's about...

Is your car a 2013? Per NHTSA's vehicle recalls page, the 2013 Leaf lists two "recalls", both for the passenger airbag. What your service tech is referring to is likely a Technical Service Bulletin, or TSB, of which 10 have been reported to NHTSA on the 2013 model. One of them is clearly not for the Leaf:

CERTAIN VEHICLES WOULD DISPLAY, IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, A WARNING LIGHT ILLUMINATION OF A LOOSE FUEL CAP WARNING. MODEL YEARS 2012-2014. NO MODELS LISTED.

Do you know which TSB was applied? It should state on your paperwork what the service bulletin number or NHTSA ID number is.

This is strange. I'm not finding any technical details about the voluntary campaign.
I just had a phone call from Nissan Owner Portal / CARWINGs person that was helping to resolve my unit id/login/pin issue, and at the end of the call she mentioned the regen brake campaign.

If anybody has been to their dealer and received more details, please share.

thx,
:)

(2015 SL)

Was your service NISSAN ID: P5327 ?

SERVICE CAMPAIGN
LEAF ELECTRIC BRAKE

2015 NISSAN LEAF SL
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 15, 2015
SUMMARY
When the vehicle is shut off, a combination of high humidity and very low temperature conditions inside the relay box of the e-ACT Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit (?electronic brake booster?) may cause the relay terminal to freeze. As a result, power will not be supplied to e-ACT control unit at vehicle startup.

REMEDY
EV Certified Nissan dealers will reprogram the Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit software in the vehicle. This service, which is conducted at no charge to you for parts and labor, should take approximately 1 hour to complete. However, your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

The wording of the bulletin is haunting similar to the repair made to my '14 in April. Basically, under certain cold weather conditions the brake controller screws up causing the accelerator pedal to go dead for a few seconds. On mine, they replaced the brake controller and updated software.

I had the same one and brought the car in over lunch yesterday. My understanding is it was completely a software update. I was a little annoyed that afterwards that a bunch of settings were changed or reset on my car and they didn't tell me. Very glad I noticed when I plugged in that my charging timer was turned off. Would have been nice to get a warning.

Besides that, I have not noticed anything different, but I'll haven't really paid attention to see if the B mode has changed.

My 2013 S was in the process of being off-leased, auctions, dealt, and bought by me when this Service Bulletin was published on October 12th.

To see if your Leaf is covered by this bulletin (or any others) get your VIN number handy and start here:
http://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin#/

When I entered mine, I got:
NISSAN RECALL LOOKUP
2013 NISSAN LEAF S

VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Change VIN
SERVICE CAMPAIGN Effective Date: Nissan ID:
LEAF ELECTRIC BRAKE October 15, 2015 P5327 DETAILS
(clicking on details I get)
SERVICE CAMPAIGN
LEAF ELECTRIC BRAKE

2013 NISSAN LEAF S
VIN: 1N4AZ0CP1DC414434
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 15, 2015 > Print Summary
SUMMARY
When the vehicle is shut off, a combination of high humidity and very low temperature conditions inside the relay box of the e-ACT Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit ("electronic brake booster") may cause the relay terminal to freeze. As a result, power will not be supplied to e-ACT control unit at vehicle startup.

REMEDY
EV Certified Nissan dealers will reprogram the Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit software in the vehicle. This service, which is conducted at no charge to you for parts and labor, should take approximately 1 hour to complete. However, your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

Please contact your Nissan Dealer with any questions or comments about your Nissan.

NISSAN ID: P5327

Has anyone had this done yet? How did it go? If you were the guinea pig / first customer for the work at a dealer, let us know so we can be the second (or know in advance that we're going to be the hero who does it first, gets experimented on, and reports it back here)

I went to dealership to have it done today. It took about 2 hours. But that could partially be dealer/service inefficiency.

I was told the work includes brake blead and reset (whatever the means). So it sounds like more than just software.

After the work I notice the brake pedal is slightly more touchy at slow speed. A bit more grabby basically.

Will report more if anything else comes up,
:)

Just had this done today, too. Was told it was just software. I was not aware of the recall before today, I was bringing the car in to have them diagnose an occasional "clunk" sound from the left rear (it seems) upon braking, and sometimes acceleration (more on that later).

Reading about the failure mode in the bulletin, it's unclear to me how a software update will fix a problem involving a frozen relay. Maybe the car will take some action to keep that relay from freezing, like periodically activating it?

On the issue of the "clunk," I know there are other threads about that on this forum, but not going to link to them here. Suffice to say, they took it out for a short drive and as expected, were not able to replicate the problem. To their credit, when I picked up the vehicle, they offered to have a technician take a ride with me so we could try to both hear it. We went for a longer trip and that did the trick. So even though I didn't have time to leave the car longer and have them address it, I know a guy there has heard it and can try to fix when I can bring it in again. Props to the service department.

2015 Leaf SL, Gun Metallic, stock. 1,700 miles.

Had my recall performed today. Had an 8:00AM appt and was out by 8:45. Our guys at Valley Nissan in Longmont, CO are awesome. So no way should it take an hour and a half or two hours.

I'll post back if any brake weirdness is going on.

BTW. . . It's a 2015 with about 19,500 miles. Yes, I drive the crap out of that thing and LOVE every single mile. :D

Back