Value?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjdoe

'Why is the price down to 50%, in two years'? My wife asked this question, when I sent her some info on the Leaf.

That's a valid question. We're looking for a 2013? I'm sure there are questions about the battery life. And they all seem very low mileage!
I need to read these forums more. We will probably buy used, then wait to see the next generation. (of flying cars)
Anyone? We will test drive this weekend. Ah - can't wait for that dealership experience!
(and I understand the discount. But really, these are $20-27,000 cars - except for the R+D)

(I once was a mechanic at a Lincoln dealer. I was making good money, and I liked those sporty Lincoln's, of the 90's. I wondered what my discount might be... But first, I looked in the paper. $40k new, they were selling for $20k, after two years. Who could take a hit like that???)

There is a lot to read here. In short, this is why most people lease, and NMAC takes the hit. If you buy, plan to keep it, possibly upgrade the battery pack someday. It's like any new high tech, the current generation is outdated very quickly, but then, that's why there are such good deals on used ones. If you really want a value holder, get a Tesla. Last I heard, you could get a certified used one around $50k.

Yes, you are right, these cars have taken quite a hit in resale value. My $38,000 2012 SL is now worth about $10,000, if I'm lucky. Why?
1) There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of 2011-2013 Leafs leased, which are now flooding the used market.
2) Most buyers got a $7500 Federal tax credit, so the perceived value dropped automtaically by $7500 to anyone who can avail themselves of buying a new Leaf and getting ther tax credit themselves.
3) Yes, there were battery issues, so most people want to stay away from a used Leaf because they don't know enough about the capacity warranty, or they just don't want to deal with it.
4) An 84 mile range EV is a niche product to begin with, so you have a very narrow, specific audience to try to sell it to, and many of those can't deal with such a short range. Throw 10% or more degradation in there, and there are even fewer people who can make use of the car.
5) Nissan introduced the stripped down S model a couple years ago, which became the new low bar setting that people compare to. If they can buy a 2015 S model for only $13,000 after the tax credit, why pay more for a used 2013 with possible battery issues?

I tried to get one of the last RAV4 EVs but the Toyota dealer refused to take my 2013 Leaf SL.

I was lucky that the Mercedes dealer was desperate to move my B Class Electric Drive and took in my Leaf in trade.

It is truly a shame that the used prices are so low. The Leaf filled nearly all my needs. When I got my current car in January they showed me the auction prices. A $35K car was hitting from 12K to 15K. It is much lower now six months later.

Cars are not "investments" (like homes); I know I don't treat them as such. If it lasts and I enjoy driving it, then I'm happy; when I get a new (free) battery, I'll be even happier :D

The best way to insulate yourself from the retail price plummet is to lease a new Leaf, then if you love it you buy it when the lease ends. It costs about the same, you get a new Leaf with a heat-resistant pack, and you get to decide if you want to keep it or not, rather than being stuck with it.

I think there is a clear distinction between the Japan-built 2011-2012 Leafs and the 2013 US-built leaf: a better pack (possibly excepting very early 2013 units) in the 2013, possibly with lower build quality. So those who want a high-quality EV and only need to take short trips in it should be looking at bargain-priced gen I Leafs, while those who need medium range (say 40-50 miles in Winter) should be checking the packs on 2013 cars for remaining capacity. If you need most of the actual range of a Leaf, you pretty much have to lease or buy a 2015 or newer car.

="jjdoe" 'Why is the price down to 50%, in two years'? My wife asked this question, when I sent her some info on the Leaf...
Prices for new LEAFs (post incentives and discounts) have dropped ~30% over the last ~four years, and Nissan's price cuts have been more or less matched by price drops by most all other BEV/PHEV manufacturers.

The lower prices for new BEVs/PHEVs, have of course, pulled used BEV/PHEV prices down with them.

Cheap gas has also had a huge effect, as the fuel cost advantage for PHEVs/BEVs has shrunken, in some areas, to near-nothing.

This is great news for anyone looking for a new or used BEV or PHEV, or even an efficient ICEV, like the Prius:

Toyota and Chevy offer hard-to-believe discounts on 2015 Prius and Volt

Here’s why Toyota and Chevy are throwing money at the Prius and Volt.

In case you have not been out in the past year, gasoline is dirt-cheap. On my most recent road trip in rural New Hampshire, I filled up on $2.01 regular unleaded. This reality has driven shoppers back to trucks and into crossovers. EV sales have tanked to below the levels of two years ago (basically zero) and hybrid sales are down about 30% over previous highs. This is just one reason that Edmunds reports Toyota dealers are giving customers $3,000 off the True Market Value (TMV) of the 2015 Prius. Not the MSRP, the TMV. 0% financing is also available in some cases. 2015 Volt buyers are being quoted $5,000 below true market value by Chevy Dealers according to Edmunds...
http://www.torquenews.com/1083/toyota-and-chevy-discount-2015-prius-and-volt-5000-move-outgoing-models

Whether you want to buy a new or used LEAF, or any PHEV/BEV, basically depends on what YOU have to pay, which in turn, depends on where you live.

All new BEV buyers can get ~the entire $7,500 Federal tax credit, by leasing, instead.

Some States and regions have additional $ incentives for new sales only, and some, Like Colorado and Southern California, also have $ incentives for used buyers.

The reality is, the total cost of ownership over time of any BEV or PHEV is highly dependent on the size of the subsidy you receive when you buy it.

For example:

nibbler said:
... Picked up my (new) LEAF today, ~$10k after discount, rebate, and (eventually) federal and state tax credits...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20441&start=50

Back