The Obituary

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geraldk

Well it's all over folks. I had my glorious Leaf SL for 950 gas free days! I want to thank everyone on here that helped me on this journey. I have not posted lately, but I did come here and read what others were saying. Here is what I learned...

I was not really ready to give up my Leaf or to post this, as my lease abruptly ended when I was rear ended this week. My insurance has totaled out my Leaf.:-( I loved my little powerhouse. I loved how fast it was off the line, blowing the doors off people that would give me that let's race look. I never would speed, but my 0-30, I had them beat every time. I also loved letting them take off only to see them stopped at the next light. All my car guy friends thought it was the bee's knees. They made fun at first, but changed their minds after they went for a ride. I was always volunteered when it was time to go anywhere Leaf range would allow. They wanted to ride in the quiet beast. We would rock the sound system along with that sweet sweet AC. Not everyone got it- my Mom, Dad, and Grandma would always ask where the gas goes.

I had a great time showing my car at car shows. I had it at the Solar Grandprix in Long Beach twice. I even had a few signs in my rear windows with info about my Leaf. I would see people come over and read them all the time. Sometimes I would get into great conversations about the car. I talked at least two people into buying one.

Towards the end I stopped using any public charging as they were always full with a Volt or a PIP. My area has a few free chargers.

So how much did I spend?

I had a 2012 SL I paid $277.34 a month with $1,000 down. That's with taxes.
I had my Leaf for about 32 months. $9,877 total out of pocket. California sent $3,500 for the lease. The $7,500 went to Nissan. The tags for it were about $350 each year, so about $700 total.

I also got a car wash every Friday for the first 20 months or so until I moved and it made it inconvenient. The dealer offers this to their buyers. I figured I would have paid at least $10 per wash so safe to say $800 on washes.

Now the electrons. I got a very good average of 4.19kwh. My high was 5.20 and my low was 3.80. I drove a total of 17,900 miles.

Total cost was about $1,050.42. This @ about .25 per kWh and our rate is a little lower, but it is about. I also charged at work a lot, until someone stole my charger! I never replaced it as I just charged at home with my level 2.

So how did I make out?

$9,877 for lease
$700 for tags
$1,050.42 for "gas"
-$3,500 incentives
$8,150 out of pocket to drive gas free and no gas stations (best part) for almost three years!! I also figured I saved at least $250 in car washes. So maybe $7,900 cost give or take.

I did not put in for insurance as it is about the same with my other car that sat in my garage during my gas free years.

Had I been driving my loud Jeep (other car) with no AC. It would have cost me about: $4,000 in gas alone. At $3.50 a gallon average. Plus if I put 17,000+ miles on my Jeep, I would need oil changes and services. The smog alone is over $100. I am always having to buy a replacement part for the Jeep. It's my love, so I don't mind to much. I will now need to dig it out and get it running. $$$

An almost arbitrary number for the Jeep is about $2,200 a year give or take depending on problems. Jeep tops can be expensive. Or about $6,600 for three years!

So the Leaf cost me: about $2,650 per year to drive.
Jeep cost me: about $2,200 per year to drive.

So I figure it cost maybe $450 extra a year driving a brand new car and never waisted my time at a gas station!! At that price, I would almost call it a wash. Not bad driving a new car. People would ask why not just get a "gasser" and now I know why and boy do I tell them. :)

I just remembered the Level 2 charger. That was $1,000. I still have it, waiting for a new baby.

I had such a great deal that I might try again in the very near future. Not sure what to go with next? Volt? C-max? Maybe a Tesla? In my dreams...

Geraldk said:
Well it's all over folks. I had my glorious Leaf SL for 950 gas free days! I want to thank everyone on here that helped me on this journey. I have not posted lately, but I did come here and read what others were saying. Here is what I learned...

I was not really ready to give up my Leaf or to post this, as my lease abruptly ended when I was rear ended this week. My insurance has totaled out my Leaf...
I assume no one was hurt, so I'd say you were lucky, all in all.

How bad was the damage? Drivable?

If you know if and when your LEAF will be FS, would you please post a follow-up?

I'm starting to look for a LEAF with rear-end damage (totaled or not) with pick-up conversion potential.

One advantage of low resale value, is it won't take much damage to total an early MY LEAF, if that's what you're looking for.

Nice to see someone who enjoy(ed) driving their Leaf as much as I do! The only "silver lining" might be that this seems to be a good time to get a great deal on a (new) 2015 Leaf.

I assume no one was hurt, so I'd say you were lucky, all in all.
I was the only one in the car. I have back problems now and my shoulder hurts. I am on three different meds right now. The other driver, I don't know, he was alone. He had major front end damage and his airbags went off.

How bad was the damage? Drivable?
It is drivable but it will not start, I think due to the crash it will not start. I think if they reset it? It looks really bad and had $9000.00 in damage.

If you know if and when your LEAF will be FS, would you please post a follow-up?
I will post if they tell me....

I'm starting to look for a LEAF with rear-end damage (totaled or not) with pick-up conversion potential.
That sounds cool. I think I saw one of those once.

Sorry to hear about your injuries. I'm sure riding around in a Jeep doesn't help with the soreness. Those things are not comfy.

Maybe drag that gasser around for another few weeks while Nissan decides what to do about the 2016 MY announcement. There is lots of LEAF inventory (2015) out there and deals to be had that could get even better if/when they announce the expanded 30kwh option. Maybe you could be in a new 15 LEAF before you know it.

Sorry to hear about the injuries and the premature demise of an outstanding car.

As you've noted, these are not only zero emissions and very quiet, but also very economical cars. And so much is now happening in this space in the next few years it is just so exciting. Let us know what you finally decide on.

I like the idea of the pickup conversion of the salvage. If someone here tries it, I hope it works out. If it does, please post!!!

I seriously considered buying my 2011 back to convert it to a pickup since I was able to drive it out of the intersection and everything in front of the back seat was like new. Unfortunately, the insurance company's storage yard trashed the interior (not sure how or why). They also trashed the front and underneath by handling it with a big fork lift. I knew I did not want buy it back as soon as I saw it at the storage yard.

To OP: I am sorry for injuries and hope you get well soon.

Gerry

Here is the link for the Leaf Pick-up: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1094509_worlds-first-nissan-leaf-electric-pickup-truck-for-shop-use-only

I am driving my truck right now a 1995 Silverado. Jeep is still parked in the garage. It might be to hard to drive with my back hurting as bad as it is.

Silverado gets 12MPG, so not really happy about that. I have had to fill up twice now. It felt so foreign and you forget about the smell, lines, and the impatience people waiting. I go to Costco, so I don't go thru that hostage negotiation. You know when you go to a convince store station with the built proof glass and scream, I said $40 on 2 not $20 on 4!! Oh, and a pack of gum... Gum!!

Sorry to hear of your injury and your loss :(
My first SL was totaled as well... fortunately I was not injured.
I also made out well as my first lease ($459/mo!) was replaced with a new 2012 SL at $236/mo... Ahhhh..
Also in addition to my insurance paying off the remainder of the lease, it turns out Nissan credit owed me money as well.
I spotted the difference between what the insurance figured the cost to be vs what Nissan quoted it as. I had to ASK for the money from Nissan and they complied without any issues. I tend to believe had I not ASKED for the difference, I would not have received it.

Considering how above-board Nissan is on most other dealings, I'd tend to agree...

GregH said:
I had to ASK for the money from Nissan and they complied without any issues. I tend to believe had I not ASKED for the difference, I would not have received it.

I had to ask for money back they owed me a few times and they finally sent me a check for the difference.

Still driving the Jeep. Filling up at gas stations sucks. I was looking at the Volt, maybe wait for the Chrysler Mini-Van plug-in.

I don't think the Leaf gets me going any more. So many choices, but I don't think leaf is on the short list any more. Still think it's a cool car, just not what I want this time around...

If the Leaf worked well for you, there are now a bunch of choices with comparable range. With longer range options coming soon, you may be able to snag a real good deal on the current generation models.

Back