Geogia rebates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjdoe

I'm just starting to consider a Leaf. So of course - GA just dropped its $5000 rebate - and changed it to a $200 fee! Is Nissan still offering the $7500 rebate on new? Is it possible to buy it in a friendlier rebate state, and transfer the registration? I can live with the $200 yearly tax. What are other Georgian's doing? Will dealers be more willing to deal, with $2 gas? That can't help their sales.
Thanks - We will test drive this weekend.

(my rambling story - I have a minivan. But I no longer haul people, like when we had the sailboat. I never wanted a truck, but my son suggested a small one. Made sense. I'm retired, and don't drive much. I don't want a new truck just sitting in the drive, and flipped when I found what used ones went for! A 2010 Corolla goes for ~$10k. A Tacoma goes for $15k! And the mileage will be a lot higher. And you can't find them! So I thought of getting a folding trailer, for any light hauling. My wife then wanted a truck! I can't win. But she did mention a hybrid... Which will be great for her daily drive. Her RX has a trailer hitch just waiting)

That is quite a story! I'm a Georgia Leaf driver, leased a 2015 back in December so I did get the rebate. However, you can probably get just about as good a deal right now on a 2015 because of Nissan rebates and dealers willing to make a deal. Just look at their inventory online and negotiate hard with the dealers. Tell them you know the 2016s are coming soon so they need to move those 2015s out now before they get stuck with them. Good luck!

BTW I love the Leaf! I got it primarily because it made such good financial sense, had never even thought of getting an EV before. Now I'm hooked and have become the designated EV evangelist among my family and friends.

in GA, I'd buy used at this point, especially if you can't get the full $7500 back on your taxes (you have to owe at least that much). There are some killer used Leaf deals out right now that will likely only get better once the 2016 MY is announced.

TN has a $2500 rebate, but it's for residents. Probably true for all states. I'd have to 'leave my wife, move to TN for a week for a rather late mid-life crisis', then move back. Sounds too complicated. Besides, she'd cut off my allowance while I was gone...
(isn't that what guys do with the mid-life crisis? Run out and buy an EV? Such a babe-magnet. For the un-shaved set!)
I think I will look for a 2013, and wait to see what comes in 2017?

jjdoe said:
I think I will look for a 2013, and wait to see what comes in 2017?

That's the way to go in GA right now. In fact, if you can hold off, the price of a used '13/'14 will probably drop off even more with the official release of the 2016.

what's the story about the $200 a year tax? sounds ridiculous?
check Atlanta craigslist 2013's are going or $10,000 with around 20K miles.

aluminumwelder said:
what's the story about the $200 a year tax? sounds ridiculous?
check Atlanta craigslist 2013's are going or $10,000 with around 20K miles.

While I am going to be receiving that $5000 tax credit next year, I have to admit that it was a waste of the taxpayers dollars.... no further discussion because it would get political or cause a liberal/conservative argument.

The legislature decided to end the rebate when they realized how many people were going to get it. Its been available for 15 years now, but prior to 2013 few people applied for it. The individual who wrote the legislation felt the EV owners owed something since they were not paying state gasoline taxes (which are SUPPOSED to be going to road improvements) so he thought $100 might be OK (publicly admitted that he had no clue and pulled the number out of thin air) so he doubled that and figured it might be OK. Never bothered to do the math on how much per gallon is paid and then figure how many gallons a year are consumed by a 30 mpg vehicle and then figure out how much tax is ACTUALLY lost, he was lazy and just made up a number, and admitted it to the public when asked about it.

Back