2015 maps update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

Link is up now.

It's been 4 long years with a clunky NAV. In an age where google maps gets OTA updates every so often we get to fork over $179.

Has anybody purchased the previous versions and found it worthwhile? TIA.

On a related note, does anyone else have grand visions of hacking into the NAV and replacing it with Waze?

Have seen this mentioned a bunch of times ... unless the LEAF all of a sudden gets 2X or 3X its current range (or you were to move/trailer it to an unfamiliar area) the local area you're in is probably pretty familiar, so the navi helps at best with an ETA, etc. Once it gets out of date, I would stick with using the map data on a smart phone as an option --- most car mfg's navi systems are old as soon as the car leaves the showroom floor, but I usually still get them because of the packaged aspect (navi option comes with upgraded sound system ...etc., etc.). This past spring we rented a brand new Audi A4 from Silvercar and while in Sonoma Valley its navi system simply couldn't find what I guess was a recent change; pull out the iPhone and it finds it no problem ... Here in the NW 'burbs of Chicago, they added a few new housing developments, etc. over the 3 1/2 years we've had our LEAF but haven't run into an issue with the limited range we drive it. I would agree though that basically ANY navi software update for a car is much more than what you would pay for a portable GPS and that just doesn't seem right. Also, with the LEAF, its nice to get the charging station map updates in case you need one but of course that's something that your smart phone could handle as well.

A higher-end GPS unit is now $179. Does anyone even buy those any more?

Nissan will sell maybe 10 of these map updates. Further proof that they are completely clueless in their strategy. Guess i think too much of Tesla these days.

pjoseph said:
...and replacing it withWaze?
Oh god no. Waze is dependent on having a data connection at all times. The head unit is a 2G data unit, meaning by the time you got to your destination, Waze would have just finished downloading your map. :D

Not to mention Waze is now owned by the marketing firm Google... but that's a discussion for another thread.

So if you are happy with Nissan's maps implementation (mine is 2011, so ymmv) then ok.

Waze has saved my hide almost every day. The data is surprisingly accurate (i was a cynic early on). Don't understand your concern on the data connection. Works fine for me. Takes up very little data.

Yes, google has all your data. Everyone else is mining it too. CarWings tracks everything as well. AllState now would like me to use a dongle so they can track my driving habits. No, thanks.

Car makers (in general) are well behind the times on navigation. The exceptions being Tesla (google maps) and Lexus & Acura seem good too. Both Apple's CarPlay or Android Auto are coming out shortly. Would be curious to hear your opinion on the alternatives.

pjoseph said:
So if you are happy with Nissan's maps implementation (mine is 2011, so ymmv) then ok.
I have a LEAF S. No built-in navigation. I personally use Navigon because its maps are off-line. No cell signal? No problem! That comes in handy out in the middle of nowhere. Navigon does have real-time traffic too. Now, Navigon is not free like Waze, but I've been using Navigon since before Waze was even available (iPhone 3G).

pjoseph said:
It's been 4 long years with a clunky NAV. In an age where google maps gets OTA updates every so often we get to fork over $179. Has anybody purchased the previous versions and found it worthwhile?
Yes, I purchased a NAV map upgrade for a different vehicle many, many years ago pre-dating smartphones and inexpensive GPS devices when the data was on CD and an update was a very expensive new CD. Today, however, I would never do that, and haven't for my 2012SL. My reasoning for NOT paying for a LEAF NAV update includes:

• 1- Auto mfr. batch updates seem to still be very much out of date compared to alternatives, especially for POIs.
    2- The LEAF NAV is so cumbersome to use (for me) that I don't.
    3- The wildly terrific idea of using voice control for navigation stumps me for anything beyond going home.
    4- My easy-to-use iPhone has more current data, is available to my passenger to set and change WHILE THE VEHICLE IS MOVING (!), has handy complementary apps like Waze, and incurs no additional costs for anything. Even better, voice control through Siri actually works and works well.
    5- My simplest-of-all-to-use Garmin GPS with lifetime map and software currency has five times the number of useful points-of-interest (POIs) than the LEAF NAV, includes highway speed limits and traffic, and is incredibly easy to use for intermediate stops called "waypoints." Did I mention the one-time cost with NO ongoing or further charges?

So in summary, alternatives to the LEAF NAV are broader in function, easier to use, present current information, and have no additional costs. So, what was that $179 for again?

SalisburySam said:
So in summary, alternatives to the LEAF NAV are broader in function, easier to use, present current information, and have no additional costs. So, what was that $179 for again?

Appreciate the response. Hope Nissan reads it and rethinks their marketing strategy. Your note has convinced me to not upgrade the NAV but rather save that money for a phone upgrade (Nexus 5x due out at the end of the month).

Latest posts

Back