One Month Review

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesh

Thought I would do a "One Month Review" of my 2013 Nissan Leaf. This seems like as good a place as any for that.
I purchased my Leaf in the South Bay (San Carlos), but live in Auburn, so my first drive was a long one at 183 miles (all with quick chargers). I have put over 1k miles on the car this first month, including another long drive (186 miles) to Donner & Tahoe City then back (all L2 chargers). No real range anxiety thus far, though I have hit VLB twice and VVLB once (never turtle mode). Living in Auburn and working in New Castle (5 miles away), I will likely only charge the car a 2-3 times a week (no workplace charging available). Sometimes I will make trips into Rocklin/Roseville and even Citrus Heights, but no problems with range with 95% of my driving. Fortunately, when I attend a SacEV meeting, they have charging available (could make it, but it would be tight).
Driving Impressions: My last few cars have been a 2002 CRV, a 2003 Subaru Baja, a 1995 Geo Tracker and a 1989 Nissan truck, so needless to say, this car drives, handles and feels better than anything I have ever driven (or rented). The quiet, smooth drive is addicting and the size works well for my family of four.
We LOVE this car. We have had several comments from others when hearing of the range, stating that it might make a good 2nd vehicle, but I always tell them it is actually our primary vehicle as it will be the main car driven in our family (my wife drives a company car for work and our 2nd car is currently a CR-V). Part of my five year plan is to purchase another, longer range EV when the prices drop on the longer range models (say, purchasing a 2017 or 2018 in 2019 or 2020). Might consider a lease, but I have never leased and prefer to own. Solar is also part of this plan, though my wife thinks that it may be 7 years off the house needs some repairs/upgrades first. :roll:

My Pearl White, 2013 SV (light grey interior) came with QC/LED upgrades.
I added tinted windows
LED bulbs to the hatch and overhead light
A Curt trailer hitch (for my bike rack)
Removed all the "Zero emission" badges and replaced them with "Electric" on the rear and "100% Electric" on the doors.
Ordered DMV plates (yet to arrive) that read "OFFGASS"
Still tossing around the idea of Caltrend seat covers, but that will have to wait.
Also, I would like to install a back up cam, but will wait until I find someone (who come recommended) to install the OEM camera.
Currently charging with an EVSE Upgrade, but when I upgrade the circuit from 30 amps to 40 or 50, I will grab a Clipper Creek as they are just a couple miles from us.

One more note: I am jealous of those who are averaging 4.5+ miles per kwh. Living at 1500' in the Sierra Foothills, I have a tough time reaching 4.0 mile per kwh. Also, though the Leaf is one of the slowest EVs, it still tops most vehicles off the line, so every now and then, at a stop light, I let people see what an EV can do . Once a Prius challenged me, so I smoked it. Good times. ;-)

James

leafrack.jpg

100Electric1.jpg

You're car is beautiful ! Where did you get the 100% Electric car tags ?? The report is great and I am in a 2012 and at about 3.3 kw per mile average !

Sondy132001 said:
You're car is beautiful ! Where did you get the 100% Electric car tags ?? The report is great and I am in a 2012 and at about 3.3 kw per mile average !
Thank you! The windows look darker than they are...it helps that I had the windshield tinted also. ;)
I got the idea for the 100% Electric from another thread. A poster mentioned that no one really asked about the car, and that many think that the "zero emission" tag means it is a hybrid. When they put on the "100% Electric" instead, people started asking questions. I can state that I have had the same experience. Ever since I placed them on my doors, I have had SO many more people ask about the car (in the neighborhood, at work, random parking lots...), which gives me the opportunity to talk to them about it (and other EV's). I am pretty sure I have sold at least one EV, maybe two. :)
There is more than one place to purchase the emblems, but I bought mine here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-ELECTRIC-D-I-Y-Chrome-Car-Emblem-/320965541111?hash=item4abb097cf7&vxp=mtr

LeftieBiker said:
Priuses are too easy to out-drag. I suggest you take on something like a Corolla S. ;-)
Ha, funny! I do not try to "race" everyone, but the instant torque response is SO fun, it is hard not to. I admit, it sucks knowing I would likely loose to a Chevy Spark EV, but for some reason, beating 'soccer mom' as she races to drop her kids off, in her mini van, makes me feel good about myself, so there ya go. :p

jamesh said:
I do not try to "race" everyone, but the instant torque response is SO fun, it is hard not to. I admit, it sucks knowing I would likely loose to a Chevy Spark EV, but for some reason, beating 'soccer mom' as she races to drop her kids off, in her mini van, makes me feel good about myself, so there ya go. :p

It's even more fun to see the reactions of BMW/Benz/Audi drivers when you beat them out of the gate and often to the next stoplight in your eco-mobile.

And if a car can do that, a Corolla S is definitely not a challenge at all :lol:

Congratulations. Your points are just about the same as mine as I purchased mine June 3rd. So far two longer trips to Santa Clara and one longer trip to Petaluma. I bought mine in Auburn and live in Sacramento. While trying to plan my wife and I's 9th anniversary weekend get away I was looking at Reno as a possible destination but was hesitant with the limited charging (no quick charge) available up I-80. I haven't pushed past Auburn and wasn't quite sure how altitude and power drain was going to work. Where are you able to charge and how many miles did you have left between charging stops? I figure you're at a full charge leaving Auburn for Reno.

I have a 2011 11-bar SL.

My family loves it we are a family of six but use the Leaf as much as we can and I find myself driving more because of the low cost for trips.

Thanks I bought some too !!

jamesh said:
Sondy132001 said:
Thank you! The windows look darker than they are...it helps that I had the windshield tinted also. ;)
I got the idea for the 100% Electric from another thread. A poster mentioned that no one really asked about the car, and that many think that the "zero emission" tag means it is a hybrid. When they put on the "100% Electric" instead, people started asking questions. I can state that I have had the same experience. Ever since I placed them on my doors, I have had SO many more people ask about the car (in the neighborhood, at work, random parking lots...), which gives me the opportunity to talk to them about it (and other EV's). I am pretty sure I have sold at least one EV, maybe two. :)
There is more than one place to purchase the emblems, but I bought mine here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-ELECTRIC-D-I-Y-Chrome-Car-Emblem-/320965541111?hash=item4abb097cf7&vxp=mtr

LeftieBiker said:
Priuses are too easy to out-drag. I suggest you take on something like a Corolla S. ;-)
Ha, funny! I do not try to "race" everyone, but the instant torque response is SO fun, it is hard not to. I admit, it sucks knowing I would likely loose to a Chevy Spark EV, but for some reason, beating 'soccer mom' as she races to drop her kids off, in her mini van, makes me feel good about myself, so there ya go. :p

jamesh said:
LeftieBiker said:

My unofficial "hobby" is to drag the unsuspecting Mustangs and Corvettes. I love seeing their faces at the next light. I know that I can't beat them if they are trying, so the next light, I just let them have at it while I accelerate and a nice leisurely pace :D

And if a car can do that, a Corolla S is definitely not a challenge at all :lol:

Once you get above about 30MPH, though, the faster cars will eat your lunch. That's why I mentioned the Corolla S: it's actually a very close race to at least 50MPH with one of those. I just beat one on a wet road.

LeftieBiker said:

Once you get above about 30MPH, though, the faster cars will eat your lunch..

True, but in most urban areas the speed limit is usually 40 MPH or less. In that environment a BEV like a Leaf will often beat a much more powerful car in the stoplight grand prix. It even gives my own Audi (A3 2.0 Turbo, 200 HP and 200 lb-ft of torque) a good run, since the Audi has to deal with a torque curve and turbo lag.

A current model Corolla will beat a Leaf to 60 MPH, but because the Leaf leaves the line so quickly, their 1/4 mile times are quite similar (approximately 16 seconds).

Having owned a variety of Japanese cars, including a 2003 Altima with the detuned version of the 350Z's engine, they may put out high HP at high revs, but low-RPM torque is often something to be desired.

Sources:
http://autofiles.com/0-60-times/nissan/leaf/
http://autofiles.com/0-60-times/toyota/corolla/

co2112 said:
Congratulations. Your points are just about the same as mine as I purchased mine June 3rd. So far two longer trips to Santa Clara and one longer trip to Petaluma. I bought mine in Auburn and live in Sacramento. While trying to plan my wife and I's 9th anniversary weekend get away I was looking at Reno as a possible destination but was hesitant with the limited charging (no quick charge) available up I-80. I haven't pushed past Auburn and wasn't quite sure how altitude and power drain was going to work. Where are you able to charge and how many miles did you have left between charging stops? I figure you're at a full charge leaving Auburn for Reno.

I have a 2011 11-bar SL.

My family loves it we are a family of six but use the Leaf as much as we can and I find myself driving more because of the low cost for trips.

Did you buy yours at a small dealership just off 1-80? I saw at one point he had two or three. I almost purchased a 2011 or 2012 because they were sooo much less, and then I could justify the $5k+ extended battery, but I do love my 2013.
You are correct, no quick charging on 1-80. I left Auburn with a full tank and recharged at the Cisco Grove Chevron at their Blink Network charger (level 2...maybe 30 amps...might be faster at the RV park across the hwy). There is a small park across the overpass with Yuba River access. We bought some snacks, walked to the river, went swimming and exploring then after 60-90 minutes we had enough charge to get us over the summit. From there we went to Donner lake and swam and kayaked (inflatables) before plugging in at Truckee while playing frisbee. Then off to Tahoe City where we plugged in again while having dinner with visiting family. The long dinner gave us enough charge to get over the summit and cruise back to Auburn with no problems (and driving fast). IF someone was taking up the charger, I would have been stuck waiting (along with my two kids). Fortunately, we were able to plug in without delay.
IF you left from Sac, you could possibly top off with a stop in Colfax. I have heard that people make it over the summit from Colfax. But then you would need to hit level 2 chargers in Truckee and currently (as far as I know) there are no level 3 chargers in Reno. :(
So, you could do it, but it would be a timely adventure. Let us know if you go for it. :)

Note: It has now been over three months, and in that time the CR-V has been used for a Lassen Trip, a S.F. trip and a one other extended trip. Besides those trips, we have filled up the CR-V twice, using it to pull a small utility trailer for home depot and dump trips and for outings where we want to carry four bikes. It truly is a seldom used (yet handy) 2nd car.

jamesh said:
currently (as far as I know) there are no level 3 chargers in Reno. :(

Per PlugShare, there are only two CHAdeMO units in the entire state of Nevada, and they're both in Las Vegas. Currently, almost all QC infrastructure in the Silver State consists of Tesla SuperChargers.

LeftieBiker said:
That's why I mentioned the Corolla S: it's actually a very close race to at least 50MPH with one of those. I just beat one on a wet road.
My other car is an '05 5-speed Corolla S. The eventual outcome is clear: it has a looong 3rd gear that it pulls very well in at highway speeds. The low-speed match would depend on the launch the Corolla got - I've found that moderate revs, no wheelspin and a good bit of clutch slipping for the first couple seconds get it going smartly. But I've only really nailed that sweet spot a few times, while the LEAF takes no skill to launch as hard as it'll launch.

The best situation for the LEAF seems to be a rolling start, say from 10 mph. Most standard-transmission cars won't be up on their torque curve yet, while the LEAF just lunges forward. It's a few seconds of fun (only up to the posted limit, of course) which brings a smile...

Back