buying a used Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGT02

Hi all,

I purchased a 2015 S about 6 months ago and got a pretty good deal on it. Even so, I'm amazed how much prices on the used Leafs are going down, to the point where I'm thinking of selling mine and grabbing one of those $7,000 2011 / 2012 Leafs with low mileage and 9 bars remaining, then claiming the replacement pack the instant the 4th bar drops.

Somehow (maybe they're not up to date?) I have Chevy dealer offing me $15k for my 2015 S. I owe $7k on the car, so I could sell it, pay off the $7k I owe, and buy the used Leaf with the remaining funds. I wouldn't even lose my QC port by the look of it.

My only concern is I thought I read somewhere that the battery replacement can be denied if the owner hasn't taken the car in for the annual battery checks, and at the moment I have no idea if that's true or been done on any of the Leafs for sale.

Thoughts?

Wow! No response to your post in almost a month. I have 2 used leafs they were great deals. Prices have gone down even more since I bought our cars. Some people have been doing just as you have proposed and get free new batteries. I have talked to 3 dealerships and they say that the battery checks are not necessary to get warranty. Some thought is to be given to those cars that were opted out of the battery lawsuit. Some rumor also about someone being rejected because of the commercial use of a vehicle that was denied. Get the vehicle ID and go to the dealer for service records for some piece of mind. I thought of doing the same thing but I already have 2. We really enjoy ours. Your free car has appeal. Or move to a 2016 with a 30 kwh battery. Or do as you said and wait for 2017 for even longer range...

Used Leaf is one of the all time great deals in auto history. The real story wont be understood until we start seeing 1/2 million mile and million mile electric cars. Today, nobody is really crunching the numbers for maintenance and repair over the long term.

Perhaps because so few keep their cars 20 years or more.

Government is whacking $10,000 off the top of new cars.. so they are spit out of the lease process minus that amount AND depreciation.
Net result.. 3 year old Leaf with miles in the teens and 20's selling for $9500 -10,500 depending on model.

For the longevity you are buying, and the operating cost you will never pay... this is mind boggling.

And for those of us not in the High Roller tax category.. for whom a tax " credit" is nothing at all.. vapor
This is all Good News.

Unlike a Tesla.. you don't have to buy the special electrified high voltage alarm gate accessory to keep the " undersirables" away. :lol:

Yes the prices are getting tempting. I was looking at Atlanta craigslist which tends to have very good prices and the 2013 leafs with around 20K miles are under $10,000
wonder how the new 110 mile range 2016 leaf will affect prices?

I keep looking around but there is no way to really come out ahead since I already have a 2015 S with the charge package. I got a great deal new, but like any Leaf it's depreciating. Almost snagged a 2012 SV going for $8k in my area - someone else beat me to it. Most 2012 SV's are still hovering around $10-11k around here.

For me, with a 2015 S, a 2012 is a bit of a downgrade (I'm mainly after the more efficient heater). I'd love to see a 2013 SV with charge package or an SL get in the $12k range. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

I got my 2013 SV with QC two weeks ago, for $9500 + tax/title. It was the only option under approx $11k for a 2013+ with QC, in my regional search. It was a fortunate find, IMHO, but those deals will become more common...

Firetruck41 said:
I got my 2013 SV with QC two weeks ago, for $9500 + tax/title. It was the only option under approx $11k for a 2013+ with QC, in my regional search. It was a fortunate find, IMHO, but those deals will become more common...

Awesome deal!

Back