70mph > 3.5 miles / kWh > 84 miles of range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudy

I used cruise control on 101 (which is completely flat) tonight when going home.
I exited after about 6 miles with an average mileage of 3.5 miles / kWh.
Assuming the 24kWh battery capacity, that's 84 miles of range (climate control off).

gudy said:
I used cruise control on 101 (which is completely flat) tonight when going home.
Assuming the 24kWh battery capacity, that's 84 miles of range (climate control off).

I'm so glade you got those results gudy because I intend to do 145 km (90 miles) without recharging but at a lower pace 88 kms/h (55 miles) on secondary roads not highway and with your numbers I'm almost sure I'm going to make it. What's your advise/comment?

Thank you again for the amazing and instructive data you have been providing

Gudy, do you remember what your car was set to charge to when you got it? I'm wondering if they deliver them set to charge to 80% or 100%. Still wondering if I'll be able to drive my car home from the dealer when I get it. About 85 miles. If he says it's fully charged and it is only set to 80%, I'm going to come up short...

-Karl

I have to drive 76 miles RT to work daily. I think I will have to use 100% charge until I get to plug in at work. I may use a few quick charges now and then because I am in the EV project and it will be free and I do want to help the data they get.

gudy said:
Cool. This is going to drive the blogosphere mad.

Gonewild said:
I have to drive 76 miles RT to work daily. I think I will have to use 100% charge until I get to plug in at work. I may use a few quick charges now and then because I am in the EV project and it will be free and I do want to help the data they get.

Based on what gudy just obtained, I'll bet that you can make that 76 commute with only 80% charging and without any recharging, especially if you only go 65.
When you arrive home, you will still have plenty, especially if you use ECO.

LEAFfan said:
Gonewild said:

Based on what gudy just obtained, I'll bet that you can make that 76 commute with only 80% charging and without any recharging, especially if you only go 65.
When you arrive home, you will still have plenty, especially if you use ECO.
Possible - but risky. I'd do 100% charge.

Ofcourse, I'd suggest a lease ...

Thanks for the info, gudy. Seems to match up very nicely with the spreadsheet I posted earlier.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmU-95A6CYcjdHV3M2tBV3hIb1RKemJvbFZzelZjZ3c&hl=en&authkey=CMeb8vEC

ruimegas said:
gudy said:

I'm so glade you got those results gudy because I intend to do 145 km (90 miles) without recharging but at a lower pace 88 kms/h (55 miles) on secondary roads not highway and with your numbers I'm almost sure I'm going to make it. What's your advise/comment?

Driving at 55 makes a huge difference for most EVs so you should do better. Add the slightest incline and things start to change as the average changes and this makes a big difference over a longer distance.

EVDRIVER said:
ruimegas said:
gudy said:

Driving at 55 makes a huge difference for most EVs so you should do better. Add the slightest incline and things start to change as the average changes and this makes a big difference over a longer distance.

Thank you for the warning EVDRIVER, I will take that in account but the road I'll be doing is quite flat with not many hills.

Gudy,

Do you have access to a scan guage ? That will probably give you a lot more information - and probably much more accurate.

May be one of the members here from SD can lend one to you (till they get their Leaf !). I plan to buy one soon ...

Hey, I've got a scan gauge just sitting in my garage right now. I had it in my Civic, which I gave to my granddaughter two months ago because I figured I'd be getting my LEAF in December (foolish me). She didn't want the gauge (foolish girl).

I probably live less than 50 miles from you, gudy. I'd be willing to drive up to your place and loan it to you for a month in return for a two-mile test drive in your new baby. PM me if you are interested.

evnow said:
Gudy,

Do you have access to a scan guage ? That will probably give you a lot more information - and probably much more accurate.

May be one of the members here from SD can lend one to you (till they get their Leaf !). I plan to buy one soon ...

I have a ScanGauge II I'm using with my Honda GX, but wouldn't it have limited use with a LEAF? On their website, electrics aren't even listed. I'm going to call them tomorrow...they make them right here in the Phoenix area. A really nice thing about this company is that even though it says one year for the warranty, they will fix it free after the warranty expires. My flash memory went out after two years and they're going to fix it.

LEAFfan said:
I have a ScanGauge II I'm using with my Honda GX, but wouldn't it have limited use with a LEAF? On their website, electrics aren't even listed.
Possibly - but I'm assuming Leaf reuses familiar codes. So instead of mpg we will get miles/kwh ...

May be I'm being too optimistic.

gudy said:
I talked to Perry about this. He estimates 80 miles of range @ 70mph. So we are on the right ballpack here.

Back