EVSE upgrade vs Clipper Creek LCS-25P

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparelink

Hoping to pick up a 2015 Leaf this weekend, looks like everything is in place just need to get my credit approval back. They are willing to through in an Aerovironment L2 charger for free or other charger in equivalent price ($700).

Since I am in a rental, I do not want to spend the money to install a 40amp circuit. looking at my option and looks like I either do the EVSE upgrade or get a unit like the Clipper Creek LCS-25P. Since I am not paying for it, i am leaning toward the Chipper Creek, but looks like there are nothing but good reviews on the EVSE upgrade. Another reason is that I would like to have the ability to use both the 110v and 220v if needed.

I will be getting a S model with the 6.6kW upgrade.

Would I get faster charge times with one vs the other? Anyone have experience with both?

The built in charger operates at one of three different rates, 120v/12 amp, about 1.4kw; or 240v/13.75 amps, about 3.3kw; or the top level 240v/27.5 amps, about 6.6 kw.

Clipper Creek rates their EVSE units by INPUT amps, so for a 25 amp unit, the output cannot (by code) exceed 80% of that, which is 20 amps. Since the LCS25P is not allowed to output above 20 amps (it "tells" the car this thru electronic handshaking) the car's onboard charger will then drop to the 3.3kw level. The modified EVSE, if modified correctly, will do the same thing. If you have a EVSE such as the Aerovironment wall unit, or any one of a zillion others currently on the market, that are capable of at least 28 amps of output (most will be advertised as 30 or 32 amps max on a 40 amp circuit), then your cars onboard charger will step up to the top level, 6.6kw and charge at that rate.

CharlesinGA said:
The built in charger operates at one of three different rates, 120v/12 amp, about 1.4kw; or 240v/13.75 amps, about 3.3kw; or the top level 240v/27.5 amps, about 6.6 kw.

Are you sure the OBC will not pull 20amps/4.8kW if it is advertised by EVSE? Kind of silly given it is 6.6kW capable.

CharlesinGA said:
Since the LCS25P is not allowed to output above 20 amps (it "tells" the car this thru electronic handshaking) the car's onboard charger will then drop to the 3.3kw level.

Not true. The car can accept any level of charge rate between 6amps and maximum. Whatever number of amps advertised the car will adjust to that level.

I have my evse set to 12a on a 50a circuit and the car charges around 11.5a. If I turn it up to max it draws about .5a below advertised but no matter what my evse advertises it tracks up or down with it.

Yes emphatically not true. The car will use 20a from the LCS-25. What do you have for electric choices? If you're having to run a 240v circuit anyway, 40a isn't going to cost much more than a smaller circuit. If you already have a circuit then knowing what it is would help us advise you.

I can heartily recommend going the OpenEVSE route for flexibility. You can adjust the amperage to whatever circuit you've got. The newest kits look very nice and easy. The $700 would cover the kit plus cable very nicely.

davewill said:
Yes emphatically not true. The car will use 20a from the LCS-25. What do you have for electric choices? .

I only have a 30amp dryer circuit to use. Its a rental and cannot add another circuit.

sparelink said:
I only have a 30amp dryer circuit to use. Its a rental and cannot add another circuit.
That's actually great. You'll charge plenty fast from the that to keep a LEAF fully charged. Do the OpenEVSE or some other option that let's you change the amperage settings. You'll be able to charge at 24a on the 30a circuit now, and can do a 40a or 50a circuit later when you get a place of your own and/or a car with a bigger battery. If you're handy get the kit and do it, otherwise send user GlennD a PM and see if he has one built up to sell.

Well, it will get flamed but I'll bring it up since it is an option. A used Blink EVSE sells for around $300 on e-bay, perhaps you can find one locally for less. Soldering skills required to fix the bad stock Rema J1772 plug crimps for charging at more than 20A, or just replace the whole cable with the plug with new. The EVSE can be set to advertize less than 30A.

I have the clipper creek lcs-25p and it does the job fine for me. I'm doing 90 miles round trip and many days with charges in between well over 100 miles. In real life 50-100% charge it's only about 40 min slower than full speed.

I can confirm it charges higher than 3.3, as someone else said it does not drop down to 3.3.

I bought it based on the reviews of clipper creek being very durable, drivers had driven over them and said the plastic lasts a long time with sun exposure.

I've already noticed a lot of the dealers Nissan branded units are cracking and some have handles replaced. I also like the fact that it's the smallest unit you can buy (it's installed behind a flower pot on the outside of my house).

I thought about doing the evse upgrade but this way you have the level 1 as a back up that is always in the car no matter what and god forbid if anything goes wrong you have 2 that you can use when at home.

davewill said:
sparelink said:
That's actually great. You'll charge plenty fast from the that to keep a LEAF fully charged. Do the OpenEVSE or some other option that let's you change the amperage settings. You'll be able to charge at 24a on the 30a circuit now, and can do a 40a or 50a circuit later when you get a place of your own and/or a car with a bigger battery. If you're handy get the kit and do it, otherwise send user GlennD a PM and see if he has one built up to sell.

I wonder if you might be held responsible for using non-listed equipment in a rental in the event of a fire be it because of your own stupidity such as setting, possibly accidentally, a higher current than the circuit can safely handle or other reasons.

Valdemar said:
Well, it will get flamed but I'll bring it up since it is an option. A used Blink EVSE sells for around $300 on e-bay, perhaps you can find one locally for less. Soldering skills required to fix the bad stock Rema J1772 plug crimps for charging at more than 20A, or just replace the whole cable with the plug with new. The EVSE can be set to advertize less than 30A.
It would be better if you told the whole story and mentioned poor power cable connection block, corrupted software SD cards that have required disconnecting the higher level board to keep them working, and some have had power supply failures.

Yes mine is still working at about 2 1/2 years past the warranty replacement.

But they have no manufacturer backing and will require extensive do it yourself skill.

Not a flame, just the whole story.

And Blink is still trying to give or sell the commercial units to unsuspecting government programs putting in EVSEs.

A dedicated EVSE sounds like the best option IMHO.

Since you are using a dryer outlet, the outlet isn't rated for many plug/unplug events. Much better to plug in a dedicated EVSE such as the Clipper Creek and leave it plugged in. If the outlet is shared with an active dryer then you run the risk of wearing out the outlet switching leads back and forth.

If you have the cash I'd get the EVSEUpgrade done anyway, it'll make a good backup and give you more options for charging on the road.

I think it has already been mentioned, but being that you are plugging into a rental, I would go with the Clipper Creek. I live a couple miles from their shop and they have several hanging on the wall in the back of their building for free use. It bodes well for them that these units are outside in the elements (currently full sun) day in and day out and all work fine. IF something were to happen (like someone trips over your cord and sparks a fire, god forbid), and you had a "tinkered/modified" unit, I would wonder if there would be any liability issues.

I would like to "second" the Clipper Creek EVSE. I have the LCS-25 and it has been working flawlessly for 2 years -- first on my i-MiEV and now on my LEAF. I have the 3.3kW charger on my LEAF so the 20A limit isn't an issue. I have a NEMA 14-30 plug on the end so it is portable if I need it to be. It was my Clipper Creek EVSE that alerted me to my new home's wiring being wired incorrectly! I keep the stock EVSE in my car in case of emergency. It's nice to have two EVSEs in case one fails.

Back