Co-worker Ratting on EV charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevon

Before plugging in at work, I got the official "Its OK if no one complains" approval. The first charging location, you guessed it someone complained. Found a second place but the situation changed and they needed the spot next to the building necessitating finding the 3rd spot which was an outdoor 240 volt construction distribution power hub in front of a legitimate parking spot. Today someone put a 3 page safety document on my windshield (unsigned of course) and with a magic marker note threatening me "you will loose your job over this!" Needless to say it only takes one rotten apple to spoil it for every one. Not worth even the slightest possibility of loosing my job so it's NIX for charging at work for me. There is always someone to complain it seems!

Create an official presentation/ proposal to management for charging. The future is coming, the company might as well start forming an EV charging policy. Even if they deny it, you have an official answer. Don't let a random note stop you from blazing a trail for all who are about to follow.

A number of people at my work asked for a charging station to be put it. I even offered my charger so they don't have to buy one. All we asked was for some electricity. Company said no because "someone will complain that you are getting free "gas.'' People find anything to complain about theses days. I think who ever put that nasty note on your car should be written up for unethical behavior.

The scribbled warning was unsigned and the document was more about policy for the site. Lets just say it would take an act of congress to change this policy and leave it at that. Not worth even the faintest chance of loosing my job
Some one was just jealous I'm guessing.

RePo said:
Create an official presentation/ proposal to management for charging. The future is coming, the company might as well start forming an EV charging policy. Even if they deny it, you have an official answer. Don't let a random note stop you from blazing a trail for all who are about to follow.

+1. I wouldn't have thought that our workplace would have provided charging, but lo and behold we now have 2 Level 2 charging points in our garage, as well as a small section of "EV Only" parking, which helps facilitate movement of cars to and from the charge points during the day. Above and beyond anything I expected at this stage of the game.

Also agree about getting an official answer. Sounds like you found someone who was sympathetic but wanted to take the path of least resistance, which makes your situation uncertain.

RePo,
It was an act of congress that made it a policy by law that "personal vehicle charging is not allowed" at my job site, trust me there is no winning this. Although the document had a scribbled warning (unsigned as it was) the content was accurate, so why stir the kettle? I'm looking into an offer from a neighbor 2 blocks away who has a solar array who might consider letting me charge. Waiting for feed back from him. I will find a way to get charged without pushing my home electricity base rate to $0.37 or even $0.48 per kwh! Had a sweet setup at work and everybody was cool, had a L2 30amp-240 volt connection using an OpenEVSE 30A Standard Charge Station Combo. The CEP 6506GU box at work already had several cables connected and mine was no additional trip hazard. there was no side walk to run wire over either and I had an orange safety cone by the charge door and cables just for safety.
OpenEVSE-Gharge-Station-2-sm.jpg

imagesLK5JP6Q8.jpg

Using PlugShare, I have been trying to find a place to charge walking distance from home or work. Found a place 2 blocks from home. Contacted him and he seemed cool but that option was nixed today by his wife stating it doesn't work for them. Found another place to charge 4 blocks from work. Negotiating with the owner, he offered to let me charge at his work place 7 miles from my work. :cry: At the PlugShare listed address (his home) He said he would only allow a one time emergency charge to get me home. He said NO to the weekly charge option even after I offered to pay my way. Thanked him for his time and said I understood. Later in the day located a L2 charge spot in mission valley. Drove there, plugged in and walked 1.9 miles up hill to my house. A decent workout, good news is that a down hill bike ride gets me to work tomorrow! :D persistence pays!

Was it a co-worker or someone from the contractor doing the construction? I personally would never have plugged into something like that. It may indeed violate their safety regs. It also may not belong to your employer which would mean you had no actual permission to use it.

The CEP 6506GU power distribution hub is more or less a permanent installation. It's attached to a shipping container dropped in our parking lot via a cable with a drive over plastic cord protector. It's been there for years and not being used for construction purposes.
Davewill
" Was it a co-worker or someone from the contractor doing the construction? I personally would never have plugged into something like that. It may indeed violate their safety regs. It also may not belong to your employer which would mean you had no actual permission to use it."

I was in the same situation. Someone from our unionized warehouse complained about an OSHA violation since I was plugging in indoors and running my EVSE outside. I looked into it, and determined OSHA couldn't possibly be an issue if I just plugged into an outdoor GFCI outlet. I spoke with the executive that gave me permission, and they arranged to roll into another electrical project the expense of installing an outside GFCI protected outlet.

After that, the same warehouse moved a dumpster next to where I plug my car in, and then flanked my outlet with two parked 40 ft trailers (for makeshift storage). I'm not sure if this was normal union vs non-union drama, coincidence, or what.

In the end, if you have permission (especially from an executive) and you're doing it safe, people who complain can go screw themselves. That won't stop them from making your life a pain in the ass, but things have a way of working themselves out. It also helps to have safety facts on hand to show your car and EVSE will protect you and others from accidental shock.

If someone installed a distribution box, and it's owned and payed for by the company you work for, and you are using a safe EVSE, there should be no issues plugging into it from an OSHA view.

stevon said:
RePo,
It was an act of congress that made it a policy by law that "personal vehicle charging is not allowed" at my job site, trust me there is no winning this. Although the document had a scribbled warning (unsigned as it was) the content was accurate, so why stir the kettle? I'm looking into an offer from a neighbor 2 blocks away who has a solar array who might consider letting me charge. Waiting for feed back from him. I will find a way to get charged without pushing my home electricity base rate to $0.37 or even $0.48 per kwh! Had a sweet setup at work and everybody was cool, had a L2 30amp-240 volt connection using an OpenEVSE 30A Standard Charge Station Combo. The CEP 6506GU box at work already had several cables connected and mine was no additional trip hazard. there was no side walk to run wire over either and I had an orange safety cone by the charge door and cables just for safety.
OpenEVSE-Gharge-Station-2-sm.jpg

imagesLK5JP6Q8.jpg

That looks safer than the substandard 120v outlet I'm charging on in the parking lot at my work. I have to charge for 8 hours at a time. Something like that allows you to charge for a short period and leave the car unplugged or not charging for at least half the day.

fwiw if you were in my part of the world I'd gladly let you charge at my house once or twice a week if you paid me back the $0.10 per kWh. Since I already have the EVSE plugged into my 14-50 you wouldn't even have to bring the evse or bother to plug it in.

dhanson865,

Thanks for the good will. Electricity, water, housing, gas and everything else is very High in SO. Cali, only the sun is free! They call the cost of living here the "sun tax" Actually got some rain this weekend! I'm doing OK. Have a place to charge for free 1.9 miles away from my house if I walk on pavement. Took a short cut through some brush on Wednesday. I found out that we do have poison ivy here, boy did I find out! :oops: Taking prescribed steroids and using Aveeno Anti-Itch lotion, where did I put my wire brushes? Even free electricity has some costs!

Sorry to hear about the poison oak! Before moving up to 6k ft. where it doesn't grow, I got some bad rashes myself. Unfortunately, with climate change, poison oak is reportedly migrating higher in altitude.

A bike that you can fit in the hatch could serve you well for shuttling to/from charging. When my former employer chose not to allow regular EV charging, I often used my road bike with quick release wheels for part of the commute. This freed up enough LEAF miles for the "hard" part of the trip, down/up a mountain. (I am an avid cyclist anyway.)

Sondy132001,

I live in San Diego. Tried a shortcut and tripped rolling and coating me everywhere. Didn't realize until later in the day, should've stripped, put clothes away and immediately showered. I'm living with it, some have told me 2 days others 2 weeks of suffering. Now know what it's like to be a pet with fleas!
Stephen

2 weeks and still itching! How long does this last? Still charging at hotel N/C and loving it! I hugged my friend's cat 2 weeks ago and now he has it on his arms! This is nasty stuff!

My response would be, "OK, come and get me!"

stevon said:
The scribbled warning was unsigned and the document was more about policy for the site. Lets just say it would take an act of congress to change this policy and leave it at that. Not worth even the faintest chance of loosing my job

stevon said:
2 weeks and still itching! How long does this last? Still charging at hotel N/C and loving it! I hugged my friend's cat 2 weeks ago and now he has it on his arms! This is nasty stuff!

did you go to the dr and get a prescription cream ?

What is the conventional treatment of poison oak?
Treatment consists mostly of protecting the damaged skin, preventing infection and relieving the itching. Over-the-counter medications may be used to treat poison oak. Store-brand or generic versions of these medications also work and are usually available. If the case of poison oak is severe, you should see a physician for more extensive treatment with stronger steroid medications.

Avoid the use of older Caladryl that contains the ingredient "diphenhydramine," unless directed by your physician. Applying diphenhydramine to open sores and taking diphenhydramine by mouth can cause a toxic build-up of the drug.

stevon said:
OT: Bad cases can last a month or longer. I learned basic recognition of it in the Boy Scouts ("Leaflets three, let it be. Berries white, poisonous sight") and then had years of spotting the stuff in all its many disguises, from low ground cover to vines to tree-size bushes, often camouflaging itself by mixing in with a similar-looking but harmless plant, and look for it as if I'm menaced by IEDs any time I'm in possible territory. Mostly, when I can't totally avoid it I only get a small line of blisters where a vine has unavoidably crossed the back of a hand, and it's gone in a few days.

Even so, I got my worst dose ever about 25 years ago, while hiking one February along a trail next to a creek. I normally hike in shorts sans shirt, and the trail was in the bottom of a canyon with a creek down the middle and trails on both sides. I was on the shady side trail and was a bit cold, and the nearest crossover was about a mile ahead, so I decided to cross the stream to the sunnier trail. Checked the brush for telltale signs, and all was good. Weaved my way through naked thigh to chest-high stems, occasionally brushing against or grabbing them, over to the other trail, and continued on in the sun. Spent the next three weeks plus with the skin on my back repeatedly cracking open and oozing, having to remove my shirt (which had to be torn free, as sweat made it stick to the ooze) every hour and have a co-worker spray it with cortisone spray. It was also on the front of my torso, my legs, my arms and hands. I think it was over a month before it was finally gone everywhere, but my memory has blurred the details.

Turns out that in winter, at least in that particular ecological niche, the leaves all drop off making it all but indistinguishable from all the other shrubs sans leaves, but the oil (urushiol) remains on the stems, so you need to look for stains. In spring/summer/fall, once you know what to look for (and I'll bet you'll be researching that diligently now :( ), it's pretty easy to spot. Avoiding it is more difficult; quite frankly, these days if it's going to be hard, I just avoid such spots altogether.

It's important to get the company to get a evse installed that can collect money. That completely takes away resistance and jealousy from coworkers - even if you pay pennies to change.

Back