Why should I do the annual battery health check?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrawn

I just did the 48 month annual battery health check on my 2011 Leaf at the local Nissan Dealership. My car has been telling me that I've lost one of 12 bars of capacity for just over a year. After paying $50 for this "diagnostic service", all the dealer can tell me about the state of my battery is that I'm down to 11 of 12 black rectangles on an otherwise useless one page report called "Battery Information Sheet".

My experience is that my range has dropped between 20 and 25% since the car was new, as has the KWHs that I use to recharge it as measured at my charger. The dealer tells me that isn't true because my battery is only down 1/12th of it's capacity. I asked for details in KWH, or percent of new capacity, or anything more detailed than 11 black boxes in a rectangle with space for 12 boxes. He suggested I call 1-800-Nissan1.

The friendly and useless people (Carlo and Chris) who I talked to there explained the following:
1) Battery warranty has nothing to do with the actual capacity of the battery. It is based on having 8 or fewer capacity bars sometime before 5 years / 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. (There is apparently no language in the warranty about KWH, percent charge or any other numerical measurement other than bars on the dash.)
2) There is no information available to them or to me about what percent of original capacity 8 bars represent. But Chris was sure that all the bars represented equal amounts of capacity -- he just didn't know how much each represented.
3) There is no one at the dealership or at Nissan who can test my battery to see what its actual capacity currently is.
4) There is no information about whether losing capacity bars relates to capacity loss relative to the published battery capacity (24KWH) or the "usable" capacity that doesn't include what ever ranges are reserved at the top and bottom of the normal charge/discharge cycle.
5) There is no way to objectively evaluate whether my battery pack is a candidate for warranty replacement or not.

So here is my question. Is there any value to me in continuing to do these annual battery health checks? As far as I can tell no action will be taken on any type of warranty replacement evaluation until I've lost at least 4 bars of capacity on the dashboard of the car. The "Advice for your Usage" section doesn't impact me because I use it the way it works best for me, and I've been at "18 stars" out of 20 all four times I've had the battery checked.

I'm told that Nissan collects the detailed, numerical data from each battery check for their own purposes, but there is literally no one in all of Nissan that can find that data and forward it to me. If Nissan wants the data, why should I pay for them to collect it?

My experience with the dealer and with the folks at Nissan's customer satisfaction call center today left me feeling strongly like the whole battery check and battery warranty process is smoke and mirrors and definitely not worth my money or time ever again.

Am I missing something?

Well it doesn't help that they wouldn't tell you what has been clearly documented in the past.

I'm not going to worry about duplicates at the cusp, I'm sure you aren't worried about the last tenth of a percent. Oh and there are two kinds of bars

capacity bars
100% to 85% = 12 bars (15%)
85% to 78.75% = 11 bars (6.25%)
78.75% to 72.5% = 10 bars (6.25%)
72.5% to 66.25% = 9 bars (6.25%)
66.25% to 60% = 8 bars (6.25%)
60% to 53.75% = 7 bars (6.25%)
53.75% to 47.5% = 6 bars (6.25%)
47.5% to 41.25% = 5 bars (6.25%)
41.25% to 35% = 4 bars (6.25%)
35% to 28.75% = 3 bars (6.25%)
28.75% to 22.5% = 2 bars (6.25%)
22.5% to 16.25% = 1 bar (6.25%)

So yeah, warranty wise you have to get down to 66.25% aka lose 33.75% before you hit 60 months or 60,000 miles.

If you are 48+ months in there is no way you will lose the other 3 bars in less than 11 months you have left.

If you want to know exactly how much capacity you have you'll need an OBDII adapter, an android phone, and the Leafspy app (or replace the phone and app with the iPhone and equivalent app).

The dealer will be useless for you unless you want to buy another Leaf or pay them thousands of dollars for another battery. Assuming range isn't an issue for you just keep driving it no matter how far the battery degrades. If range is an issue you can:

A. Sell it as is and buy another EV (2016 Leaf will offer 25% more battery capacity, 2017 or 2018 Leaf will be double the capacity, Then there is Tesla if you want a nicer car, and of course you could always buy used Leaf with less battery degradation).

B. Buy another battery from Nissan. Hopefully you'll be able to hold out and buy the new higher capacity battery later but we don't know what they'll charge for it.

jbrawn said:
...Chris was sure that all the bars represented equal amounts of capacity -- he just didn't know how much each represented.

Lol, that would probably be one twelfth. If Chris were right. Which he wasn't.

AFAIK, the yearly check is required to keep the warranty in force. Serves no other purpose for the owner that I've been able to discern.

You don't state your location, but I'm going to guess you're in a cool climate if you still have 11 bars after 4 years. You're doing better than a lot of people, including some early 2013's that have already lost a bar in half the time. So unless you can find a body shop willing to let you bake your car in their paint oven while it's at 100% charge for months at a time, I will agree with dhanson and that you will not be able to lose enough capacity in the remaining time frame to be able to invoke the warranty.

I also agree that you will need an OBDII adapter and an app such as LeafSpy or LeafStat if you want to really know how much capacity you have left. You will NOT get this from the Nissan dealer.

Nissan requires the annual "test" as a requirement for the LEAF warranties, including the 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty.
Other than that it isn't very useful.

Some claim Nissan legally could be forced to provide warranty coverage even if annual "test" was not done.
That might be correct, but it would be costly legal fight with large international corporation.

For me, I am paying for the annual "test".

jbrawn said:
So here is my question. Is there any value to me in continuing to do these annual battery health checks?

My experience with the dealer and with the folks at Nissan's customer satisfaction call center today left me feeling strongly like the whole battery check and battery warranty process is smoke and mirrors and definitely not worth my money or time ever again.

Am I missing something?

I too am now in a situation where I'm wondering if I should bother spending almost $80 for the health check.

My car is now down to six capacity bars, and yes that is capacity bars. I've had all the previous checks done, always with 5 Stars Woo Hoo! and that includes last year at 8 capacity bars. Last year the P3227 update was done at that time, and there were still 8 bars after the update.

So I'm pretty certain that at least for my situation, I'm going to be qualified for a new battery under the terms of the Klee settlement even without the battery health check this year. As far as I know, based on the settlement language, there is no requirement for me to immediately have the battery replaced, and in fact I can make the claim at 4 years and 364 days from the "in service" date, or at 59,999 miles. In my situation, at about 1,000 miles / month though I'll be at the mileage limit many months before the time limit. Also, there is apparently no requirement for Nissan to inform an owner, at an annual battery health check, that their LEAF qualifies (or at least possibly qualifies) for a replacement battery under warranty.

I doubt if I'm going to make it with this original battery for the 8-year, 100K mile Nissan battery warranty, where the checks are required. I also agree with those who say it is questionable if Nissan can mandate such a check as a requirement for their warranty, since Nissan is then essentially forcing you to pay them to keep their warranty in effect.

I am interested however if anybody has ever gone in for the annual battery health check, with six capacity bars, and gotten the 5 stars Woo Hoo! result (almost as many stars as bars). If nobody has ever done it I might like the adventure. :D

Somebody somewhere here has said the Nissan techs said it was basically to help clueless owners remain happy with their LEAF. And last year, at the 8 remaining capacity bar result, pretty clearly qualifying for a battery replacement under warranty, the dealership mentioned nothing, merely asking me how the car was going and I replied, "Great, but it does seem to be down in range a bit." I thought they might mention something then, but nothing more was said and I left.

Why are you guys paying anything for the annual battery checks?!
I did mine because I knew all along I would eventually trigger the capacity warranty replacement and I wanted to comply with the warranty terms (which include annual battery checks), but my dealer never charged me for one (even though they could have after the second one).
Having said that, if there is no hope of qualifying for the battery capacity warranty, the annual battery checks are useless to the owner (Nissan may get some diagnostic data out of it, but then they should pay for it).

I only paid for the 4th battery test, the first 3 were free. But, now that they have replaced my pack with the new 2015 chemistry, I really don't see what it will pay me to have the test ever done again. I suppose there is always the remote chance of a total pack failure, which might fall under the 8 year warranty, but I doubt that will happen. Given that my Leaf is going to be sold within the next 1-2 years, I don't see me taking it in again this December.

sub3marathonman said:
My car is now down to six capacity bars, and yes that is capacity bars.

Have you not already requested a warranty replacement? You are at 8 bars. I thought that meant you are qualifying for a new battery. no. did I read the rest of your post correctly?

EDIT: Oh so you are going to run your battery out as long as you can and then get the new battery? ok cool. good idea I guess.

Fwiw, I've just spoken with the friendly (should I put it in quotes?) Leaf support people on the subject of capacity warranty eligibility vs. not all annual checks done. They told me that not doing the reports shouldn't technically have any effect on the replacement under capacity warranty, but it might play a role should the manufacturing defects warranty need to be invoked, e.g. in case of a bad module replacement, as this was the original requirement for it. It kind of makes sense given the retroactive nature of the capacity warranty, but I'd take it with a grain of salt anyway.

I purchased a used (leased) Leaf around the first of 2016 with 25000 miles and 9 bars. I took it to my local dealer for VIN based check to confirm what the used car dealer was telling me. Everything checked OK except that only two battery "tests" had not been done. They did a "complimentary" check for me and everything was "five star". They stated that if the battery does go to 8 bars, that they will "check" the battery condition and replace it if it meets the warranty requirements. They actually recommended running the battery completely dead so that the 8 bars would prove out to qualify for replacement. Since that original purchase, I've certainly learned much from this forum, but not sure what they told me at the time makes anymore sense then it did then. I'm just hoping two hot summers and aggressive driving will get to whatever it takes to get the new battery.

Marktm said:
I purchased a used (leased) Leaf around the first of 2016 with 25000 miles and 9 bars. I took it to my local dealer for VIN based check to confirm what the used car dealer was telling me. Everything checked OK except that only two battery "tests" had not been done. They did a "complimentary" check for me and everything was "five star". They stated that if the battery does go to 8 bars, that they will "check" the battery condition and replace it if it meets the warranty requirements. They actually recommended running the battery completely dead so that the 8 bars would prove out to qualify for replacement. Since that original purchase, I've certainly learned much from this forum, but not sure what they told me at the time makes anymore sense then it did then. I'm just hoping two hot summers and aggressive driving will get to whatever it takes to get the new battery.

You shouldn't have any trouble dropping that last bar in TX, but you should invest in a LeafSpy (or equivalent) if you are serious about it. Also, might want to add location to your profile in anticipation of the land-mark event.

Stanton said:
You shouldn't have any trouble dropping that last bar in TX, but you should invest in a LeafSpy (or equivalent) if you are serious about it. Also, might want to add location to your profile in anticipation of the land-mark event.

Just ordered the ISO15765-4 CAN (11bit ID, 500 Kbaud) ELM327 dongle (bluetooth). Thinking I might add the AH record periodically to my profile in addition to my South East Texas location. AH is something I can directly relate to from my off-grid solar endeavors. I'm guessing that the average pack voltage is fairly constant across all the Leaf's batteries - and Peukert probably did not know about Lithium based batteries!

Marktm said:
Just ordered the ISO15765-4 CAN (11bit ID, 500 Kbaud) ELM327 dongle (bluetooth).

I have a ~$10 OBD that I bought to turn off the light when my Honda Civic Hybrid battery started dying.

http://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-TORQUE-ANDROID/dp/B00AAOOQJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462827662&sr=8-1&keywords=Vgate+ELM327+Bluetooth+Scan+Tool

That worked fine in ICE with DashCommand and Torque apps, and it works with Leaf Spy Lite in the Leaf.

Back