silence back up VSP

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alk444

is there any reason not to unplug the VSP speaker to silence the back up noise?
would that affect any other functions?

alk444 said:
Fear of a lawsuit if you disable this function on the Leaf and are unlucky enough to hit a pedestrian while backing up.

Stoaty said:
alk444 said:
Fear of a lawsuit if you disable this function on the Leaf and are unlucky enough to hit a pedestrian while backing up.

Not so good for the pedestrian either. :(

my leaf has a backup camera which i use religiously, so i won't be hitting any pedestrians.

how about a useful technical answer?

alk444 said:
my leaf has a backup camera which i use religiously, so i won't be hitting any pedestrians.

how about a useful technical answer?

It only affects two sounds

VSP1 forward motion between 0 and 18 mph (there is a 15 mph cut on or cut off, confusing enough but I I know that it works up to 18 under some conditions)

VSP2 reverse motion (I don't know if there is a speed cutoff)

(and I called them 1 and 2, I don't know if there is an official numbered label for each)

Both come from the same speaker so if you unplug it you lose the forward warning sound as well.

It'll save a miniscule amount of power but not enough to care about.

There are also noises that come from the VSP speaker when you plug in the car to charge that are called the "Charge Sound system" on page VSP-19 of the 2011 Service manual. There is a plugin detection sound, and a charge acceptance sound.

And doesn't the triple beep that plays when you walk away from the powered on car with the key fob in your pocket also come from the VSP system?

On my 2012, I was able to add a switch to temporarily disable the sound whenever I want.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=198970#p198970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps a similar mod is possible on the newer Leafs?

I support the the VSP! We have enough of a problem navigating through a parking lot of dipsticks with their "head in the concrete" staring down or on their phone, while driving a ICE car. Now with silent EV's these clueless peds won't know it till their under the car :D maybe thats not bad :twisted:

On my 2013 leaf I used the backup light wire to open the outside speaker with a Bosh style relay. I am lucky my B has VSP but no annoying backup beep.

I like the concept of a low speed pedestrian warning but I hate the backup beep.

You guys must be bored out of your minds that a little beeping noise offends you and you have to remove it ?? I back up my car every day leaving my driveway and I don't even notice it anymore or I have my radio on, what is the big deal having a safety feature ?

I generally back my ride into the garage when returning home, always have, no problem with sneaking out undetected. But if I did have the option on the artificial sounds the car speakers make I think I would go for a barking dog, maybe a rabid chihauhau or a Newfe (wuf wuf) gets their attention and no one is offended, heaven forbid. Mission accomplished, there now, everybody happy. :D

Same problem here, leaving in the morning wakes up the neighborhood, including the SO (embarrassing as hell since it sounds like a schoolbus doing a 3 point turn).

I still have to do one of these mods, but I wish Nissan would make the reverse beep optional (I'm ok with the other sounds).

lion said:
Same problem here, leaving in the morning wakes up the neighborhood, including the SO (embarrassing as hell since it sounds like a schoolbus doing a 3 point turn).

I still have to do one of these mods, but I wish Nissan would make the reverse beep optional (I'm ok with the other sounds).

I wonder if you can adjust the sound ?? I have a 2012 and it's just not that loud, I don't wake up anyone in my neighborhood when I back up, just not loud enough.

S

Sondy132001 said:
lion said:

I wonder if you can adjust the sound ?? I have a 2012 and it's just not that loud, I don't wake up anyone in my neighborhood when I back up, just not loud enough.

S

I'm sure property & neighborhood layout/density/noise levels all influence this perception, so it's not the same for everyone. I don't mind the beeping in a busy parking lot, but in a dead silent neighborhood early in the morning? Too much.

When I had my i-MiEV, its VSP did not prevent people from walking in front of the car. I disabled the VSP and the car was so much nicer. While it didn't have a back-up beep, its driving sound was described as a "space vacuum cleaner".

The VSP doesn't seem to prevent people from walking in front of my LEAF either. I'll probably disable it as well. Someone posted instructions on using a relay to enable VSP when the car's not in motion (to enable charging beeps) and disable it when the car's in motion. I may do this because I loved my quiet-as-a-library i-MiEV without the VSP.

Back